New Autocross site needed. Stowe is not available this year.

Talk about SCCV related topics here!
sachilles

New Autocross site needed. Stowe is not available this year.

Post by sachilles »

Unfortunately, we are unable to renew our contract with Stowe to use their parking lot this summer. With there new hotel/condos operational, they felt that our we would be in conflict with wedding/lodging business. Mostly from a standpoint of noise. They have agreed to write us a recommendation if needed to help us procure a new site. While it is sad to have lost the site, please join me in thanking them for allowing us to use the site as long as we were able to.

So, we must search for another site to use. We need the memberships help in ferreting out new sites. If you think you know of a site that might work, please post it up in this thread. Please be sure include as much info as you might know about the site. For example, the presence light poles, curbing, general size and layout. Also note how close it may be to residences etc. For now, let's concentrate on areas within chittenden county(or within approximately an hour of there).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The board met last night to discuss the situation. As of right now we getting the schedule worked out with slmp, and we'll continue chase down possibilities as we find them.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
Larson

Re: New Autocross site needed. Stowe is not available this year.

Post by Larson »

That's a major bummer. That's been the nicest lot we've had.
tiFreak

Post by tiFreak »

damn, hopefully we can find a new lot, this was supposed to be my first year of auto-x :(

I unfortunately don't know of anyplace we could do it
Brendan Murray
SCCV #318
BMWCCA #405199
HondaSi

Post by HondaSi »

I wonder if there is any room at the old air base in Plattsburgh. I know that there are other businesses on parts of the base now. But I have no idea if all the space is being used or not. There has to be huge paved spaces all over on that old base.
darTTh audi

Post by darTTh audi »

sachilles wrote: Mostly from a standpoint of noise.
This is likely to be an issue raised no matter where the location. Time for a max decibel level rule? When I drove at Calabogie last summer, which is out in the middle of nowhere Kanadia, they tested each car for noise level before it was allowed on track. It's not the club's style from what I've seen but ... .
Bill R.
2008 Audi TT 3.2q
HondaSi

Post by HondaSi »

Oh, Wyeth in Rouses Point has a huge open parking lot. It is seperated into two big spaces. Both of them are gated off. I think it is just about a perfectly square paved area.
skivittlerjimb

Post by skivittlerjimb »

Is this the old Wyeth lot, Brian?

Good size lot, but near residences?

I agree with Bill. If we're going to be near residences or businesses that are open, we need to control noise to some degree. That being said, I don't think it was ultimately the noise that was the issue at Stowe. We used the Stowe lot at just the right time in its life span and were very lucky to have it. Hats off to Seth and the rest of the SCCV board for making it happen I hope we can go back there, because it's an awesome location, but it's pretty doubtful.

With any lot, we might be able to get an "in" if we pick a charity, find a couple sponsors, and raise some money for a good cause. It could build goodwill with the property owner and the residents of the area, and change the perception of the event. Right now, I think most members of the general public view anything like autoxs, ITTs, hillclimbs, and even TSD rallies and "kids playing with cars" and any inconvenience they might experience from it, no matter how peripheral or inconsequential, is an opportunity to complain and question the legitimacy of such an event, because they see no benefit to it other than the indulgence and fun of the participants. We saw that happen at Verizon and Sugarbush, for sure, through no fault of the Club's, really.

Ride along events could be part of the equation, too, and a great way to introduce new people to the sport.

Either way, we need to think out of the box on this one and get as many folks looking and asking about good lots as soon as possible. I want to have some autox fun this summer.
-Jim B.
'92 GVR4 280/1000
ryed
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by ryed »

Unfortunate news for sure. But thankful that we had the Stow lot for the time we did. The letter of recommendation from them can't hurt either.

With the economy in the dumpster, there must be some industrial/corporate buildings vacant somewhere, hopefully with large parking lots with no poles. Keep your eyes peeled.

I've sent an email to a friend that's a truck driver asking if he's seen anything. I'm also going to search some commercial real estate sites to see what might be out there.
1991 Alpine White GTI VRT "Polar Express"
2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost "Tullibee"
2017 VW Alltrack "Betty White"
"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time" - Unknown
gtivr4

Post by gtivr4 »

What about Thunder Road? Its not the most exciting, but it does have an infield course, and the "big" oval. Obviously it would cost money, but so did Stowe. Also, is the shifter kart course in Barre (?) too small for cars?

I think we should consider a noise limit or at least consider it for certain sites.

is VTC not possible? Its small, but its better than nothing!
Nathan Dana
1990 Miata, 1992 Volvo Cow, 1997 Sonoma, 2012 Locost 7
HondaSi

Post by HondaSi »

They still use the wyeth lot. I don't think there are many people there in the weekend. BBut it is right in the middle of Rouses point (noise). And come to think of it I believe there are quite a few light polls. What about a school parking lot? I don't know what there is in VT. But if there is one big enough...