Ice Gymkhana

Talk about SCCV related topics here!
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Ice Gymkhana

Post by pdudley42 »

Well, it looks like no one else is running for event coorinator, so I'm it. The first event I'd like to coordinate will be an ice gymkhana at Mallett's Bay. Maybe a conventional time trial first just to iron out the kinks, but none the less this will be a lot of fun. Similar to an autocross, but with some stunt-oriented obstacles mixed in. Handbrake parking, backwards gates, etc. The use of super-studs in such events is yet to be decided, since they do tend to CHEW the ice during slow speed acceleration.
It's never too early to mention some of the basics; in this case leaks. Cars should have NO (aggregious) FLUID LEAKS. We got very very lucky with George's oil pan last year. Okay, that was a racing incident and could happen again, but if your car has a regular fluid leak, it shouldn't be out on the lake in the first place. Any car developing a leak should be removed immediately from the ice. So since there is still a month to go, take a look under the car you intend to use for any new or neglected leaks.
That reminds me, does anyone know where I can go to get some spill pillows? AMEC's got it down: they buy a lot of them, sell them for a couple bucks a piece, and all attending vehicles must have one in the car at all times...maybe two for a Volkswagon(insert smiley).
Either way, I'd like to know who is interested in an event like this. Cost will be similar to ITT ($20-25), held in early February.
Paul Dudley #42

There are no accidents; only collisions.
vwcorvette

Re: Ice Gymkhana

Post by vwcorvette »

Paul,

This sounds entertaining. Could be run as a companion to an ITT on Saturdays perhaps.

Should I leave the jetta at home?? :yawinkle:
Geo

'75 Stingray. AKA, Sasha
(**--**)
'02 Jetta Wgn 1.8T tiptronic. MobyII
\ \=o=/ /
'79 Kawasaki KZ400h
d=~o
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Post by pdudley42 »

George, there's no real set answer for that. If no snow banks are present, the risk is minimized. If the course had to be plowed and then the banks refroze over night, I'd leave it at home. The addition of a skid plate makes this a non-issue.
Paul Dudley #42

stig

Post by stig »

That sounds like it would be... amusing. :)

I think I would personally prefer to stick to a conventional ITT, but I would definitely still be there to play photographer.
honda8790

Post by honda8790 »

hmmm it could be interesting......

I'm in to try it.....
00 Honda S2000 - Summer Fun
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

Sounds like fun.

Paul I have access to the oil blankets/pillows you talk about. I will see what I can do with that.
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
gtivr4

Post by gtivr4 »

Sounds interesting, although my likely ice trial mobile would have a tough time doing handbrake manouevers since it doesn't have one (just a foot operated parking brake). Not sure you can operate that quick enough, but then again it would be a good opportunity to try!
Nathan Dana
1990 Miata, 1992 Volvo Cow, 1997 Sonoma, 2012 Locost 7
Jim EvoX

Post by Jim EvoX »

I'd be interested to try it....never done anything like it, so I would be a complete novice. Just have to get my winter car sorted out enough to participate.
BugEyeRex
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by BugEyeRex »

2 Thumbs up from me Paul!!
Chris SCCV #169

93 Blue Impreza Wrx conversion (toy)
02 Blue WRX Wagon (toy)
98 Green Civic 4dr (basic transport)
08 Red GTI 4dr (toy when given permission from the boss)
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Post by pdudley42 »

Nathan, a lot of stunt driivers prefer the kick brake. The trick is to temporarily eliminate the lock so it springs back as soon as you let off the pedal.
Cold and windy this week. Excellent for making ice.
I've got a couple courses laid out. 2 parts autocross, 1 part stunt show.
And Jim, have no fear, we're all rookies to an event like this. I'm guessing your winter car is not another EVO.?
Paul Dudley #42