Baywatch 2011

Talk about SCCV related topics here!
stig

Re: Baywatch 2011

Post by stig »

Yeah, i wouldn't venture too far out on Willoughby.

Anyone want to buy my bolt tires? Unfortunately I don't see them making it onto my current beater, and honestly I'm not sure I see it on ice being a good idea. Could use the extra cash and storage space...
willem

Post by willem »

Any word on the ice thickness after our super cold temps?
dc2sirg

Post by dc2sirg »

jcollins914 wrote:
dc2sirg wrote:Aww man, I wish I could... I don't have a car this year!! How's your new ride treating you so far?
If you don't have a car, ... what will you use to play on Lake Iroquois/MB?

Jeff
All I have is the Tahoe right now. I figured Id watch and pull people out of the snowbank. The Tahoe, despite being over 2.5 tons, is quite tossable though.
Larson

Post by Larson »

Josh
I've got a beater 97 Jetta your welcome to take some runs in. :drive1:
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Post by pdudley42 »

Super cold temps were not the equalizer I'd hoped they would be. I took a trip to the northeast kingdom Wednesday and found very poor conditions everywhere. Too much snow on top of not enough (white) ice. Visited Caspian, Crystal, Willoughby, and Eden. Willoughby actually looked like a usable venue; 3 entrances and lots of space where nobody else was, but the poor conditions and distance to get there make it unreasonable.
Today Bev and I went out on Mbay to check it out. We drove out on the lake a couple hundred feet and before we even had our boots on there were two Kias that had followed us out and got stuck in the snow. Ah, the resilience of youth...is there nothing that can't be fixed by some f-bombs, pushers in sneakers, and minutes against the rev-limiter.
The conditions on the bay were all right, relative to all other sites this year. Still not enough ice (8-13"), but the snow would be managable with a four wheel drive car, or perhaps even a 2 wheel drive on bolt tires. To make a course will require a plow, so if anybody knows someone who will do it for free or in exchange for seat time, please speak up. Chris and I met a guy that lives around there who will do it for (beer) money, but you can never have too many plow options.
The only other lake I can think of that might have better ice and is NOT is the northeast kingdom is Lake Carmi. I'll see when I can get up there.
Another possibility is Island Pond. Okay, it's even further, but it is pretty consistently one of the coldest places in the state. Worth looking into methinks. I'm told I've got a cousin who owns a restaurant right by the Pond and he says that the town is very into racing. Like I said, worth looking into.
Paul Dudley #42

There are no accidents; only collisions.
dc2sirg

Post by dc2sirg »

I saw on iceshanty.com that they've been driving trucks on the ice for over a month now in Highgate Springs. Check it out, theres actually a thread right now about "where are we driving?" or something like that.

Carmi is a good one too. If you need to get in touch with someone at Lake Carmi, let me know.

Thanks for making the trek Paul, sorry it didnt produce more promising results....yet!
lwheelock

Post by lwheelock »

Hey Paul,

If you make the trek to lake carmi you also might want to check out Fairfield Pond it is about the same size as Iroquois and has good access at the north side (huge beach).
Laura
'11 FORD F150
'05 Legacy GT
'04 Swedish Minivan aka XC70
'04 STI when I'm allowed!
MX5 Driver
SCCV Webmaster
SCCV Webmaster

Post by MX5 Driver »

I'd say Willoughby out of the question. http://www.wptz.com/news/26676061/detail.html
Tim W.
SCCV #72
gtivr4

Post by gtivr4 »

Happens every year! I like that they just abandoned the truck, like no one would get it out and track them down eventually :lol: :popcorn:
Nathan Dana
1990 Miata, 1992 Volvo Cow, 1997 Sonoma, 2012 Locost 7
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

gtivr4 wrote:Happens every year! I like that they just abandoned the truck, like no one would get it out and track them down eventually :lol: :popcorn:
I would hate to get that bill.
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70