Baywatch 2011

Talk about SCCV related topics here!
DaveEstey

Re: Baywatch 2011

Post by DaveEstey »

Doesn't seem to be looking good for ice racing.

I would go play with AMEC but they don't allow street studded tires... :rock:
"Why kill it? - When you can overkill it."
1987 Mazda RX7 GXL (Hillclimber)
1987 Mazda RX7 GTU (Lemons)
2008 Mazda Miata
2005 Ford F-250 Diesel
2007 Toyota Prius (The Fast Car)
www.DaveEstey.com
stig

Post by stig »

MX5 Driver wrote:I'd say Willoughby out of the question. http://www.wptz.com/news/26676061/detail.html
The occupants of the truck left on foot.
No, really?
rabbithead

Post by rabbithead »

I heard Arrowhead Lake has a plowed course
EVT_Dan

Post by EVT_Dan »

Yeah, I don't know who did that, but I just noticed it the other day myself.
Is that access by the Dam Store public ? There is a small Oval on the ice there, then way over on the other side I saw some Honda sliding around too....

Can someone drill that ice and check thickness? I don't have the ability or experience but would love to go out there if safe.
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Post by pdudley42 »

Today I drilled Mbay again. We've now got the ice we need, but we've also got as much as SIX INCHES of slush and water to deal with in addition to the foot-deep snow drifts every once in a while. The ice was 14 inches deep in a couple places. I didn't go out all the way to where our course has been, but I suspect that once this layer of slush locks up, we're a go. And oh yeah, we will need a plow. So I call upon you, Reillys and Wheelocks and other Bay livers, in a couple of days after this next cold snap, grab some waders and a prybar and go stab the ice. It should be immediately obvious if it's safe or not.
I also went to Arrowhead. I couldn't find any car access; just now read about the one by the Dam Store. I don't like the word "Dam" on the same lake as my car. I saw the oval track, which is now covered in water and slush. The north end of the lake looks like the one to stay away from...so does the south end (where the dam is). Whoever lives there should find out about that boat access by the store. Personally, I'm not that interested because it's so dam far for me.
Anybody can measure ice depth. Just go to the hardware store and get a 2 foot length of metal strapping (or anything else bendable), bend a 90 at one end to use as a hook, and mark it every 2 or 3 inches. Then go find a fisherman and ask him if you can stick your rod in his hole. If he knows what he's doing, he'll probably have 2 or 3 holes going at a time, so you won't even bother his sport(ing).
Paul Dudley #42

There are no accidents; only collisions.
Rice Burner 17

Post by Rice Burner 17 »

I have a new lead on someone who has a plowtruck (we still need someone right?). So this guy will drive down the east coast to southern states that just got hit by big snowstorms and rake in the cash by plowing parking lots and driveways because no one down there is equipped to deal with the snow. Unfortunately I believe he is down there now. When he is back in VT I will ask him if he is interested in plowing a course for us. He will probably want money as opposed to beer or whatever, but who knows, maybe not. I will let you know what I find out.
Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie »

The track on arrowhead CAN be accessed by the road on the right before the dam store driveway. Originally the road that led to the farms that existed there before the flood of '27, it leads right down into the water/ice. keep the forums updated on ITT stuff! we're preparing one of our subaru's for them!

Dylan
Valkyrie Motorsports
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Post by pdudley42 »

Another Mbay update:
As of Saturday, most of the slushy spots are now frozen solid, leaving as much as 19 inches of ice...12 of which is black ice. That's the good news. The bad news is that the slushy spots are car-swallowers and they are random. Also to note is that many people with atvs, snow machines, and trucks have tried to pass and made it...but dug ruts like you read about in the process.
We are almost there in terms of driveability, another few days of COLD weather would give us the ability to plow a good course. I am convinced that safety is not the issue anymore, but no one wants to get a plow truck stuck in 6 inches of slushy water 3/4 mile from shore.
I did not walk all the way out, so it may be that the only slushy areas are by the shore. If anyone is bored, grab some snowshoes and walk out to the open area where the course should be and poke around for wet spots...don't worry, there is a ton of good ice under the snow/shush. An atv would cover enough ground to determine whether or not there is a dry line to get a plow out to our area.
Warm weather is forecast for this coming week, so I'm gonna go stock up on cyanide pills.
Paul Dudley #42

There are no accidents; only collisions.
stig

Post by stig »

Just got up, and it's 40*. I hear this is going to be a repeated adventure :rock:
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

Same as last year - warmed up, cleared (melted) the snow on the ice, then refroze smooth and solid.
Maybe a repeat?
Dave P. #189 '02 MINI CooperS+ "Elphie"
"People who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." -unknown