Definition of a Truck/SUV

Talk about SCCV related topics here!
BugEyeRex
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Re: Definition of a Truck/SUV

Post by BugEyeRex »

gtivr4 wrote:Is there a link to the calculator? That would help tremendously!
There is no link. You have to do the calculations yourself. SCCA has a quick chart in the 2011 national solo rules under 3.1 Eligible Vehicles Section. It is a quick reference to approximate a vehicles Static Stability Factor (SSF) based on the overall height of a vehicle vs the width of it's track. Basically SCCA tells it's stewards SUV, 4WD pickups and minivans must be excluded. Here's the quote:

"Unstable vehicles with a high center of gravity and a narrow track, including
SUVs, minivans, and 4WD pickups, must be excluded. Examples
of such vehicles are listed in Appendix A. Extra caution should be exercised
with non-traditional vehicles (e.g., trucks using racing slicks)."

The funny part is there is no list of excluded cars in Appendix A.

The NHSTA calculates SSF by taking track width/2*(center of gravity height). The kicker is finding the center of gravity height. That's why SCCA came up with the chart. To make it simple for public, NHSTA started to use a 1-5 star rating on rollover safety. It's annoying that the NHSTA has incomplete list of SSF (I tried hunting it down) . The problem with using the star system is that they take electronic stability control into account which we all know when "racing" it is most likely to be turned off.

I'm not the authority to say yes or no. I just wanted to educate myself on the subject.
Chris SCCV #169

93 Blue Impreza Wrx conversion (toy)
02 Blue WRX Wagon (toy)
98 Green Civic 4dr (basic transport)
08 Red GTI 4dr (toy when given permission from the boss)
stig

Re: Definition of a Truck/SUV

Post by stig »

Interesting.

The car is a '95 Legacy Outback (so, nothing but a 2 tone Legacy as far as I can tell. 2.2, Legacy bumpers, Legacy suspension, etc) wagon. After some more looking around the setup I'd likely go with would end up being 2-3" of suspension lift over stock height. Outback struts, Forester springs, possibly spring spacers of some kind. Granted, this is all based on stock tire size.