Kill switch location

Talk about SCCV related topics here!
vtraddo

Kill switch location

Post by vtraddo »

Hi, I was looking at NEHA rules and didn't see anything on location of kill switch location. Anyplace they like to see it?

Thanks Joe
sachilles

Re: Kill switch location

Post by sachilles »

Talk to Larson, they asked him to move his, so he probably has a good idea.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
vtraddo

Post by vtraddo »

sachilles wrote:Talk to Larson, they asked him to move his, so he probably has a good idea.
Ok Thanks!
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Pay attention to other rules also, such as the local drag strip if you ever plan to do those. Did you get a "kill switch" or a battery switch? Kill switch takes out the alternator also.
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
vtraddo

Post by vtraddo »

I got a Battery Kill Switch... I would think if you break the power going from the battery to everything you would be good to go.

But I guess you would still be sending power to the battery...
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

vtraddo wrote:I got a Battery Kill Switch... I would think if you break the power going from the battery to everything you would be good to go.

Right... even if you remove the battery, the alternator can deliver power to everything else and keep the car run.
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
vtraddo

Post by vtraddo »

I wasn't talking about removing the battery...I was talking about If you feed from alternator to the battery and put the disconnect in between the battery and everything else that would kill the car.

The only thing "live" would be the wire to the battery until the engine stopped turning over..

Edit: it would be in series! I know other cars are wired differently and would require a alternator disconnect....
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:
vtraddo wrote:I got a Battery Kill Switch... I would think if you break the power going from the battery to everything you would be good to go.
Right... even if you remove the battery, the alternator can deliver power to everything else and keep the car run.
The INTENT of the rule is to "kill" all power to the vehicle - most importantly, almost all vehicles use electric fuel pumps, and killing power to those is the most critical in an accident (being upside down in the trees while fuel continues to pump - that's not so good) :hotstuff:

Ah, what do I know - maybe a www for "how to install aracecar emergency kill switch '... http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/buil ... switch.php
:bigups:
Dave P. #189 '02 MINI CooperS+ "Elphie"
"People who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." -unknown
vtraddo

Post by vtraddo »

DaveVT02S wrote:
Rabbit Farmer wrote:
The INTENT of the rule is to "kill" all power to the vehicle - most importantly, almost all vehicles use electric fuel pumps, and killing power to those is the most critical in an accident (being upside down in the trees while fuel continues to pump - that's not so good) :hotstuff:

Ah, what do I know - maybe a www for "how to install aracecar emergency kill switch '... http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/buil ... switch.php
:bigups:
What do I know I'm and electrican haha.... Steve mentioned "remove the batter" I did not.... did you see my above post? I could draw it out... I just want to make sure fine with the rules.
Blindfaith

Post by Blindfaith »

with my rabbit i put it on the drivers fender, and remember something about having to install a diode to actually have the switch kill the car. I also wired in an oilpressure switch to kill the fuel pump relay if there was no oil pressure as a double fail safe to ensure a lack of a race fuel inferno....been there done that.
Last edited by Blindfaith on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.