Possible Change of Membership Rates

Talk about SCCV related topics here!
BugEyeRex
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Possible Change of Membership Rates

Post by BugEyeRex »

At our last meeting in November we opened up a discussion for changing our membership rates. We are looking for suggestions. Basically the insurance rate that we pay for each member has gone up. One thought was doing something different with our family membership. One concern was that we sometimes pay insurance for members that are not old enough to participate in club events and the family membership does not cover the cost. Any thoughts, concerns and/or questions?
Chris SCCV #169

93 Blue Impreza Wrx conversion (toy)
02 Blue WRX Wagon (toy)
98 Green Civic 4dr (basic transport)
08 Red GTI 4dr (toy when given permission from the boss)
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Re: Possible Change of Membership Rates

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Right now our membership rate is $20 with each additional family member at $5 each.

A single person pays $20 plus their spouse ($5) for a total of $25 for the membership. Each additonal person is $5.

The amount that we have to pay to the insurance compay is $9.47 per member.

This means that instead of bring money into the club, we are losing almost $5 per family member. The club is paying to add members.

The goal of the membership rate is to cover administrative fees of the club....

Cost of trailer registration
Cost of PO Box
Cost per member for insurance
Cost to host the website/forums
Misc expenses (pens, notebooks, etc.)

I'm sure there is more.

Why did we start a rate for a family member? It goes back to the day when we used to mail newsletters to all of the members. Because there was a cost savings of sending one copy of a newsletter to a single address where more than one member lived, we passed this savings to the members via a family rate. The insurance rate was around $3.

This cost savings no longer is present (no paper mailings) while our variable cost (insurance cost per member) has increased above the $5 rate.

I would suggest a membership rate of $25 or $30 with no "family membership rate". I would further state that if we have extra membership cars at the end of the year, we can provide them at no cost to those families with young (non-driving) children if they would like for them to have a card.

Another option is $25 for single and $15 for each additional family member.

Steve
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
ryed
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by ryed »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:I would suggest a membership rate of $25 or $30 with no "family membership rate". I would further state that if we have extra membership cars at the end of the year, we can provide them at no cost to those families with young (non-driving) children if they would like for them to have a card.
I agree with this. I'd lean towards $25 with no "family rate." We just need to be clear with folks that register @ events, but do not participate in the forums. We are not trying to penalize families from joining; we are simply trying to cover our costs rather than incur more costs.
1991 Alpine White GTI VRT "Polar Express"
2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost "Tullibee"
2017 VW Alltrack "Betty White"
"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time" - Unknown
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Let's get some conversation happening here.... or, the membership rate will be $100 ;)
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
BugEyeRex
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by BugEyeRex »

How about $25 or $30 membership plus $1 over the insurance rate rounded up for adding family members currently in the same household? The base ($25 or $30) covers the 1 member and helps pay administrative fees. The $1+insurance rate rounded up covers the insurance and the increase for the next year. For example 2014: A single person pays $25 or $30 plus their spouse ($11) for a total of $36 or $41 for the membership. Each additonal person is $11. I would lean toward a $25 base.
Chris SCCV #169

93 Blue Impreza Wrx conversion (toy)
02 Blue WRX Wagon (toy)
98 Green Civic 4dr (basic transport)
08 Red GTI 4dr (toy when given permission from the boss)
hammer

Post by hammer »

I would lean towards having a single membership rate for everyone. It would keep things simpler. And for what's it's worth, I wasn't even aware there was a family plan until last month's meeting when we started discussing this...