Thinking ahead to 2015.... equipment purchases

Talk about SCCV related topics here!
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Thinking ahead to 2015.... equipment purchases

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

We are planning ahead for next year to determine what equipment might best serve our events.

We are looking for ideas what would help us have successful events.

Some of the items that we have discussed include:
Larger trailer with shelves (i.e. 5x12 vs. the current 5x8)
Laptop and timing software
Plow truck (purchasing a truck with a plow)
Canopies (enough for Philo; also used at the autocrosses)*
Fire Extinguishers (enough for Philo; also used at autocrosses)*

* We spend about $120 picking up equipment that we rent from KSCC for the Philo hillclimb. Purchase of 10 canopies and 10 +/- fire ext would mean that we would not have to pick up any equipment. Potentially, our rental fee would also go down (by a little) as we would only rent the electronic equipment. Oh, and we would have to make our own signs....

That is the short list that the board came up with during a discussion last night.

What are your thoughts? Think of challenges that we have experienced and our events and what could fix that problem. Think of ways to improve the events either by being able to run a better event or improve a process.

Steve
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
WRX97

Re: Thinking ahead to 2015.... equipment purchases

Post by WRX97 »

Laptop and timing software has always been a bit of an issue at the autocrosses this past season, sometimes leading to big hold-ups at the event
#41 Sam R
2012 Subaru WRX
vtwillys

Post by vtwillys »

I also vote to upgrade the IBM laptop and sw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MX5 Driver
SCCV Webmaster
SCCV Webmaster

Post by MX5 Driver »

I have not made it to an autocross in four years, so I have not seen the issues with the Laptop and timing software first hand.

I can get a good discount on Certified used Lenovo laptops still. The specs on the current one would still easily run the updated AXware timing software.

Could some one post what the issues are with the laptop? I know the last time I did updates to it, I cleaned out about a tablespoon of sand from the keyboard and chassis. It's held up well for the environment we've exposed it to. It is over seven years old...
Tim W.
SCCV #72
voklskier4452

Post by voklskier4452 »

The laptop itself has usually been reliable in my limited experience with timing. What are the advantages of the updated software? To those of us without tons of experience running the software it can be difficult to fix errors without someone knowledgeable around. I would be all for an update to the laptop/software if it is easier to run.

If a laptop is purchased make sure the screen isn't glossy or it will be impossible to use outdoors!
Nate R
BugEyeRex
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by BugEyeRex »

I am all for getting a bigger trailer. After an hour of three people yesterday rearranging it, I am convinced this should happen. All of the club equipment does not and will not fit in the trailer.
Chris SCCV #169

93 Blue Impreza Wrx conversion (toy)
02 Blue WRX Wagon (toy)
98 Green Civic 4dr (basic transport)
08 Red GTI 4dr (toy when given permission from the boss)
Serrilion

Post by Serrilion »

I'd be for a new laptop as the old one I recall some issues with it. There are quite a few nice used ones on CL.... I also would say a bigger trailer should be brought up, I wish I could make the meeting tomorrow night to voice this, as it be nice to have everything orginized so someone checking out before they bring it to an event also maybe a few more cones for autocross so our evil track layout men could make our lifes even harder haha
yea so a guy told me, "I bet I get laid twice as much as you," so I said, "Two times zero is still equal to zero," totally awesome.

#813 Ryan Fitz
vtwillys

Post by vtwillys »

MX5 Driver wrote:I have not made it to an autocross in four years, so I have not seen the issues with the Laptop and timing software first hand.

I can get a good discount on Certified used Lenovo laptops still. The specs on the current one would still easily run the updated AXware timing software.

Could some one post what the issues are with the laptop? I know the last time I did updates to it, I cleaned out about a tablespoon of sand from the keyboard and chassis. It's held up well for the environment we've exposed it to. It is over seven years old...
Your last line says it all. 7 years for a computer is 50 human years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Larger trailer with shelves (i.e. 5x12 vs. the current 5x8)
Larger trailer... done.

Some folks are working on the shelves.

Need to sell old trailer. We need some paperwork. I will call Perfection again (twice already).
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
BugEyeRex
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by BugEyeRex »

We need to purchase fire extinguishers. We only have 2 working fire extinguishers.
Chris SCCV #169

93 Blue Impreza Wrx conversion (toy)
02 Blue WRX Wagon (toy)
98 Green Civic 4dr (basic transport)
08 Red GTI 4dr (toy when given permission from the boss)