Winter Autocross 2/11-12

sachilles

Re: Winter Autocross 2/11-12

Post by sachilles »

autoholic wrote:That was a really fun event, had a great time on Saturday.
Great course, nice and fast! I hope there is another one there, such a great site.

Bummed I could not make it today, I got my car roll started but while warming it up in my driveway it stalled, I should have parked on the hill again for warm up...

By the time I got it pull started again I was running way late, and family wanted me to stick around today anyway (not to mention its frigid out!).

As I write this, you guys are probably taking first run and I'm here playing Lego with kids. Oh well, see you next time. Thanks to all for setting this up, SCCV a great crew.

Will I have my membership card mailed to me? do I get a decal?

Mark
Glad to see you there Mark.
We can either mail the card, or you can grab it at the monthly meeting or the next event, your decision.
No decal with the membership. However that is something worth discussing at our next meeting, as I think we are out of club window clings. I might have a spare if you want it.
Our meetings are every third tuesday at the zachary's in So burlington. Beer/food and car talk. Family friendly as that zachary's has a play facility in the back.

I think there is a high probability that we'll be back this year if mother nature can cooperate enough that we can ice the field or get some snow.

Certainly welcome any feedback from folks that were there this weekend as to what went well, and what you thought could be improved. Reports from the event today is that there is far less course break up. Some of that is from having more gentle turns, and likely super cold temps are helping too.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Post by pdudley42 »

2X on Seth's comment. I would love to hear feedback on the venue, how the event was run, what could be better, etc. Either here or send me a PM.
Let me be more specific. To the course workers: Were you able to stay warm enough? How did it work rotating in and out of your cars? Were three checkpoints enough to cover all the course cones or did you feel like you were running too far? I thought all the cone-shaggers did a fantastic job in some pretty (memorable) conditions.
I had a great time at Kenyan's and hopefully we can have a repeat weekend before winter's end. What we need is a good thaw and re-freeze to smooth it out, followed by some snow that we can pack for a new course(s). Fortunately, this week's weather calls for high 30s. The nights will naturally be cold enough to keep the freeze going, so it may be playing right into our hands. Stay tuned to whatever channel you used to find out about it in the first place.
Huge thanks to all SCCV members, newcomers, and spectators who stepped up to lend a hand for an incredibly successful event!!!
Tell your friends
Paul Dudley #42

There are no accidents; only collisions.
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Post pictures and videos in the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3708
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
autoholic

Post by autoholic »

How was the course on Sunday? Saturday was a blast, still thinking about that long, fast sweeper. Glad I had some studs left in those tires, no substitute for studs in those conditions.

The course held up well, but end of day Saturday it was getting rough - I was cringing listening to some nice cars pound those pot holes (as I'm sure the drivers were too).

The only thing I would say is the same thing I say at other events - less lunch, more driving! We should bring food or have someone grab a bunch of pizza and eat while in line (everyone usually disagrees with me on that though).

Glad it was scored like autocross, since I got an OC in the AM. At the time i did not even know it, but on the next run I thought it seemed different going into that icy turn towards the end. If it were cumulative scoring I would have paid dearly for that!

Thanks again, look forward to the next event.

And thanks for the pics!
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Post by pdudley42 »

Sunday's course was faster, which also equated to a little smoother. Colder weather meant less ice breakup. We reused the fast sweeper (turn 2) on Sunday. It was pretty polished by the end and still very off camber! Tough without studs! The times were 10-15 seconds quicker. Everyone got 8 runs instead of 5.
The lunch thing is a tough one. Personally I agree with you: take a break when you die; race day is for racing! That said, it was very cold out on Sunday and some people justifiably could not resist the comfort of a warm pizza in a warm pizza place and as such, we got started a little late after lunch (on both days). I'd like to see if we can get the power turned on down by our parking area so we could have a crock pot or three, hot coffee, and all the hot lunch stuff you never cared about while in school. I'll look into it.
Thanks for the feedback. Is the previous post Mark? You should add a signature to your automatic-post-thingy...as I can't keep everybody straight.
Paul Dudley #42

There are no accidents; only collisions.