Winter Autocross 2/11-12

EVT_Dan

Re: Winter Autocross 2/11-12

Post by EVT_Dan »

For street tires, it really depends on each tire manufacturers tire characteristics.
On ice, a lower pressure will help find grip. You have to be careful though, as a lower pressure may roll the side wall over more willingly, and result in a cut sidewall quicker.

I'm going to play around with my pressure, my DCCD, and see what the conditions are.
I wasn't able to get new snow tires on. My tires for tomorrow are shot wintertires. Hard and worn out :drive1:
8valvegrowl

Post by 8valvegrowl »

Thanks guys, got all those people updated.

Lots of unstudded tires. ;-)

Paul, I figured the Sand Viper didn't have a studded tire option (since you can't make your own....yet).

Alex, I've always run factory pressures. Snow tires always feel really nervous/twitchy to me at lower pressures, you could go over pressure some, but I'd start at the factory pressures.
'99 9.3 - Torquey noodle-mobile.
'08 9.3 SportCombi - Family Wagon.
'87 900 - 8 valves of pure fury.
'91 Legacy AWD - Sold :(
'74 MGBGT - Stage: Welding project.
'87 4Kquattro - Gone, but not forgotten
ryed
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by ryed »

Hi Everyone, just a plug for the Village Grocery, which is just 1 mile south of Kenyon's Field. The owner of the "VG", Troy Kingsbury, runs @Thunder Road and is an auto-enthusiast to say the least. He talked up this event on WDEV, and is offering free coffee if you mention your are with the SCCV. They have a full-service deli, snacks, gas, and are happy to have us in town. It's the closest/best option for food and beverage. Please stop by, and mention that you're participating in the "Wintercross" at Kenyon's field.
1991 Alpine White GTI VRT "Polar Express"
2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost "Tullibee"
2017 VW Alltrack "Betty White"
"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time" - Unknown
jcollins914

Post by jcollins914 »

Cliff Collins: RWD Unstudded
Jeff Collins: RWD Unstudded
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

jcollins914 wrote:Cliff Collins: RWD Unstudded
Jeff Collins: RWD Unstudded
This is the setup that makes the guy behind the camera very happy.
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
343Saturn

Post by 343Saturn »

AWD Studded for me.
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Post by pdudley42 »

Great job today everybody! Outside of better weather conditions I could not have asked for a better event. This venue turned out to be just about perfect for an event like this. I love the berm for timing and spectating...and pop-starting (our FTD car, I believe).
Tomorrow's course is almost entirely different. Start/finish are the same, an turn 2 onto the straightaway are basically the same. Aside from that, all new. And MUCH FASTER! This will equate to more runs and less course breakup, which occurred worst in the tighter areas.
SCCV has hand/foot warmers on hand (for sale...cheap). It will be cold and windy so bring the warmest of everything you've got. I know I will, as the Sand Viper has no windshield.
See you all in the morning.
Paul Dudley #42

There are no accidents; only collisions.
ryed
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by ryed »

I'll second Paul's thank you to everyone that helped make today possible. Paul and Nick deserve many thanks, and eternal fun-runs for securing this site, and working so hard to create a driveable surface over the past few weeks. With more consistant winter temps, this venue could prove to be an incredible asset to the SCCV.
1991 Alpine White GTI VRT "Polar Express"
2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost "Tullibee"
2017 VW Alltrack "Betty White"
"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time" - Unknown
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Looking forward to Sunday... I'll be driving this time. :3gears:
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
autoholic

Post by autoholic »

That was a really fun event, had a great time on Saturday.
Great course, nice and fast! I hope there is another one there, such a great site.

Bummed I could not make it today, I got my car roll started but while warming it up in my driveway it stalled, I should have parked on the hill again for warm up...

By the time I got it pull started again I was running way late, and family wanted me to stick around today anyway (not to mention its frigid out!).

As I write this, you guys are probably taking first run and I'm here playing Lego with kids. Oh well, see you next time. Thanks to all for setting this up, SCCV a great crew.

Will I have my membership card mailed to me? do I get a decal?

Mark