Drilling Ice 101

dc2sirg

Drilling Ice 101

Post by dc2sirg »

I recorded this at the last AMEC Event Driver's Meeting, thought it should help avoid some confusion when checking Lakes...

Drilling Ice 101
DaveP189

Re: Drilling Ice 101

Post by DaveP189 »

Great info! That's exactly the way I was doing it on MBay yesterday; the boring bit I'm using 'bottoms' (at the chuck) at 15 3/4 inches. I drilled about 12-14 holes (and talked to a couple of nearby fishermen), starting near shore and then every couple 100' before I got to the surface slush "band" that punched through at about 10" (all the rest were14"+). Went past that point ~100' and got 11" and stopped there, also due to increasing snow depth on the ice (I've got 3-1/4" of clearance at front spoiler).

Now, side note: talking later to one of my neighbors (fisherman) who saw me & the MINI out there mentioned that where he was fishing (and not catching) was about 8" - they're out towards the middle of the bay - refering to the map from "2007 ITT" topic, they are out towards the right where we would go left towards the small islands. And as a point of reference, again from that map, the 'slush' was just before where the indicated 'path' fades away.

Oh, and a P.S.: all of the holes drilled 'solid' all the way through, and none of them filled with water (?).
Dave P. #189 '02 MINI CooperS+ "Elphie"
"People who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." -unknown