ITT's are a Go!! 2/20-21, Mother nature finally cooperates!

pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Re: ITT's are a Go!! 2/20-21, Mother nature finally cooperates!

Post by pdudley42 »

Wow. Eight runs each and still time for fun runs. It must have been a great and efficiently run event. Let's see, did I forget anything? Oh right, there were only nine entrants. The course was very similar to Saturday's, so advantage to anyone who was there both days (I might have been the only one).
With warm weather in the near future as well as snow, this might be it for the season, but we can hope not. Either way I recommend staying off the course for a couple days to let it refreeze and flatten itself out. If it happens to rain again (then get cold), that course will be amazing.
We took some pictures on Saturday, we'll get some of them up.
I believe results-posting is in the works as well.
Paul Dudley #42

There are no accidents; only collisions.
86-rx7

Post by 86-rx7 »

well i had a awesome time saturday and stoped by a hour ago to se the track and those water spots must have been cool looking today with cars plowing through them. Was it just me or are those spots were i thought i saw some sand/salt mix on it saturday night. I ran it a few times then called it good.
stig

Post by stig »

DaveEstey wrote:I forgot to break out the camera AND the camcorder... :mad:

If anybody has something of the crx I'd be most grateful :pics:
I forgot to do the battery check before I left :lol:

Couldn't make it today due to work, but hopefully the weather holds for next weekend... I want to see what this car can do on four bolt tires...
benneyben

Post by benneyben »

I hope it cools down. I had a blast Saturday. I'll keep an eye on the forum for any new dates. And pics would be great. Who was in the new Land Rover down at the hair pin at the end of the straight a way. They took tons.
TSR53

Post by TSR53 »

I couldn't make it out to shoot and told a friend to mention to Paul about the ice racing. Local Shelburne, VT pro photographer :-) We shot together at the Oktoberfast last Oct in Stowe, huge car enthusiast.
http://usstockphoto.com/main.php
343Saturn

Post by 343Saturn »

Looks like the event made the front page of the Burlington Free Press this morning! This time it was not in conjunction with a nearly sunk vehicle which is great.

The web has the article as well:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/arti ... -Champlain
8valvegrowl

Post by 8valvegrowl »

Congrats to George and Dudley for looking good for the camera!

Nice article!
'99 9.3 - Torquey noodle-mobile.
'08 9.3 SportCombi - Family Wagon.
'87 900 - 8 valves of pure fury.
'91 Legacy AWD - Sold :(
'74 MGBGT - Stage: Welding project.
'87 4Kquattro - Gone, but not forgotten
stig

Post by stig »

Very cool, I'll have to "borrow" this one from work today :lol:
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Including the text for when the link breaks....
COLCHESTER — Out on the frozen bay, past men perched above fishing holes and beyond the roar of snowmobiles, Paul Dudley’s blue 1991 Mazda Miata tore across the ice.

Dudley, 31, of Waitsfield designed the 0.8 of a mile time-trial course on Malletts Bay for the Sports Car Club of Vermont. Sunday, Dudley and about a dozen other club members hopped in their cars and twisted their way around the winding, icy track.

“Honestly, this is what I live for,” Dudley said. “It’s free. It’s legal. It’s fun. It’s fun, squared.”

• The Sports Car Club of Vermont

The event wasn’t quite free — drivers each had to pay $20, which the club pooled to cover insurance costs. It was legal, though, assuming the drivers were licensed, the cars inspected, and the speeds kept below 50 mph. The club cleared the event with the Vermont State Police and the U.S. Coast Guard.

The rules required drivers to wear helmets — “You just never know,” Dudley said, especially in the close confines of a Miata.

“The roll bar, that’s a melon splitter,” he said.

Dudley removed the power-steering from his car to give himself more control, and bolted screws into his tires for better traction. The screws work best on glare ice, he said.

“For most people, four-wheel drive is where it’s at,” Dudley said. Although his car has rear-wheel drive, with the screws, he said, “it’s more like driving on gravel than ice.”

The drivers ranged in age from 20 to 60. Men make up more than three-fourths of the club’s membership, and all the drivers on the ice Sunday were male, Dudley said. However, female members, as well as drivers’ girlfriends, are bringing more women into the mix, he said.

By 2 p.m., after about six hours of racing, some of the bends in the track started to turn a bit slushy. At the start, the ice measured 14-15 inches thick beneath the course, more than enough to support the weight of the vehicles, Dudley said.

The time trials are an annual winter tradition for the club, which boasts 40-50 active members. They have held the trials on Malletts Bay over the past four weekends, and plan to continue at that pace for as long as the weather allows.

The club’s vice president, Chris Reilly, 41, of Colchester, arrived too late to participate Sunday, but hoped for a chance to race his blue Subaru wagon next week.

On a similar course, Reilly said his car peaked at 35 mph. Dudley figured his car averaged about the same speed Sunday.

“It feels like you’re going a lot faster than that,” Reilly said.
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
willem

Post by willem »

TSR53 wrote:I couldn't make it out to shoot and told a friend to mention to Paul about the ice racing. Local Shelburne, VT pro photographer :-) We shot together at the Oktoberfast last Oct in Stowe, huge car enthusiast.
http://usstockphoto.com/main.php

Ya, I saw Paul out there, looks like he got some good shots!

Thanks to SCCV Paul and all the others that put this together!!! I had soooo much fun!! Really cool to see all the people who really get into it with the right equipment! I understand why now!!! Look forward to doing some more of these, maybe even will pick up some studded tires for the rabbit!! Thanks again!