2012 Ice Racing Thread

sachilles

Re: 2012 Ice Racing Thread

Post by sachilles »

EVT_Dan wrote:
STI NICK wrote:
EVT_Dan wrote:Hi guys

Wanted to let you know I now live almost within sight of the boat launch at Mallets Bay.
Just so you know, it's not frozen yet :)

I'll keep an eye on it though ! :popcorn:
When did you move that close to my house. I live about a mile from the boat launch.

Moved into a unit at Woodbine by the Lake off Marble Island Rd in October.

However, I'll only be here till April. Only my co-workers know, but I'm moving on from Vermont SportsCar. I'll be moving to Utah in April to take a bigger role as a member of the Monster World Rally Team !
Congrats, but sorry to see you go from VSC!
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Post by pdudley42 »

Bev and I went to visit and drill at Lake Iroqois (how do you spell that again?) today. Happy to report no snow except for small drifts and average 6" of ice. If the ice would support a car right now, anything with snow tires could go anywhere on the lake...no plow!
Pictures to follow.
Who's watching Malletts Bay? Is it frozen yet? Is it still 38 degrees? Have the coast guard fished out any (sportsmen) yet?
After all the warm weather, to have 6 inches of ice is an excellent sign; that can easily turn into 12" if the rest of the month cooperates. Think COLD!!! We may be on track for a good ice season after all!!
Paul Dudley #42

There are no accidents; only collisions.
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I'm surprised that we have 6" on Lake Iroquois; wonderful news. The 10 day forecast doesn't look good, but it is still early. We typically start mid to late Jan or very early February. ITT has a short season, but very rewarding as we learn so much about car control on the ice.
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
Mike Kamm

Post by Mike Kamm »

That's great news Paul.

Thanks for going out and checking the ice. I don't take it for granted as I've done it lots of times for AMEC. It's an effort, but even moreso when there's snow on the ice. Plus, there's always risk involved when going out there alone [like I have in the past].

Having no snow on the ice reminds me of the time [back in 2002] when a few of us AMEC'ers went up to Moosehead Lake in ME to race with the [now defunct] West Cove Ice Racing Association. The lake is 40 miles long. There was 36" of ice! They organized what was called the "Dash for Cash". It was basically an L-shaped course that was about 10 miles per lap. Literally you jumped into your car [LeMans style start] and went full speed straight up the lake [think Bonneville] for 4 miles. Then you looked for an ice fishing shanty and made a left at Ledge Island into West Cove. You then raced for another mile or so, then stopped, got out of your car to pick up a bar coaster with a number on it. Then jumped back in and drag raced the other 40 cars back to the start in Greenville Jct. where you ran up to the bar and your coaster was punched on a time clock. Wow! Wish we could do something like that again, but a bit closer to home.
2013 Honda Fit EV
'97 Geo Metro
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

Mallets Bay has started to freeze, but there is still lots of open water. The lake has started to make more of an effort to freeze recently. It will be a little while with Mallets Bay though. Think cold temps and less wind.

Great news about Iraquios (how ever you spell it).
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Lake Iroquois
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar