BAYWATCH 2013

pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Re: BAYWATCH 2013

Post by pdudley42 »

As of right now, the ice is thick enough to drive on regardless of snowfall. The problem(s) are the snow drifts can get a car stuck, so a plow is necessary. Also, with the forecast of warm weather this week, the top layer of the ice may become unpredictable. If you go out this weekend, use extreme caution...especially if we do have continued weather above 32. Do some homework about the effects of above-freezing temps on the ice and make your own judgment. Bring a pick or prybar to stab at the ice with. If the top couple inches are soft (relative to the rock-hard blue ice we have now), it is a bad sign. And don't park multiple cars right next to each other.
It has been a good year for our ice driving. Unfortunately none of our board can commit the time to hosting an ITT this weekend.
The course from last weekend may still we there, but beware, snow banks that have been through multiple freeze cycles are painful for your plastic bits, fog lights, and VW oil pans.
Have fun!
Paul Dudley #42

There are no accidents; only collisions.
vtgti

Post by vtgti »

I'm a bit worried about ice conditions for the weekend. As of now, already early in a week of forecasted above freezing temps, the snow is melting and there is standing water on the ice. :(
1982 BMW 320i
Blindfaith

Post by Blindfaith »

I dont mind plowing a course for gas money....but unless there is a long stretch of cold i dont feel comfortable driving my 9000 lb truck out there. Unless the club will buy me a brandy new one if mine goes under...either way i think the snow will be gone by the end of the week if it isnt all ready
vtgti

Post by vtgti »

it is supposed to be cold again this weekend..... Hmm
1982 BMW 320i
BugEyeRex
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by BugEyeRex »

Just for reference sake, it is the Pond Hockey Classic this weekend. It takes place on the access and on the ice right at the access entrance and is heavily supported by the locals.
Chris SCCV #169

93 Blue Impreza Wrx conversion (toy)
02 Blue WRX Wagon (toy)
98 Green Civic 4dr (basic transport)
08 Red GTI 4dr (toy when given permission from the boss)
zeus19269

Post by zeus19269 »

Well...how about this weekend? Any chances of a race brewing up?
BugEyeRex
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by BugEyeRex »

I think the rest of the week is suppose to warm up. I believe we are trying to work on the wintercross in Waitsfield whick is an autox on icy snow. It's a little less weather dependent.
Chris SCCV #169

93 Blue Impreza Wrx conversion (toy)
02 Blue WRX Wagon (toy)
98 Green Civic 4dr (basic transport)
08 Red GTI 4dr (toy when given permission from the boss)
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Post by pdudley42 »

I'm going to check the field at Kenyan's today. We got about 4 inches of the good fluffy stuff last night and I hope to pack it into the existing "in the works" course.
My availability for this weekend is close to none so any ITT would have to be run by someone else. Sorry.
Chris is right. Weather above freezing is a good sign that the ice should be admired, but not raced.
Paul Dudley #42

There are no accidents; only collisions.