BAYWATCH 2013

vtgti

Re: BAYWATCH 2013

Post by vtgti »

Soooo.... Who is up for some ice racing tomorrow?
1982 BMW 320i
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Post by pdudley42 »

You bring the RC cars; I'll bring the floaties!
Paul Dudley #42

There are no accidents; only collisions.
vtgti

Post by vtgti »

This seems to be ice making weather, and with no major snow in the immediate future...
1982 BMW 320i
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Post by pdudley42 »

I just barely found out they canned the Tupper Lake ice race this weekend. I am pretty deflated by the news, but it does free up a day for me to check how the ice is looking out on our lakes; Iroquois and Malletts Bay.
Paul Dudley #42

sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Did they cancel due to ice conditions? That wouldn't be encouraging.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

Mallets bay is looking good. Ice is relatively smooth with very little snow. I have not seen anyone ice fishing on it yet this week, but I would imagine after this week we will start to see them out there.
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Post by pdudley42 »

AMEC cancelled due to lack of ice. I'm guessing there would have been enough by the weekend, but they need to have a little lead time so everyone knows what/where to do/go.
Funny thing is that they are now attempting to use Lake Algonquin instead for a one-day affair. The reason that's funny is that at Tupper Lake, we paddock on solid ground. At Lake Algonquin, we paddock on the ice. I think if it were left to me I would choose to have an inch less ice than 100 tons of tow rigs on an extra inch of ice.
That said, they are right to be cautious (duh). Ice tends to be a little brittle when it forms fast due to a nasty (read: awesome) cold snap.
Thanks for keeping an eye on Malletts Bay Nick.
Paul Dudley #42

Mike Kamm

Post by Mike Kamm »

I'd definitely be up for another event Paul. Had a great time at the last one. I've got access to a set of bolt tires as well. :)

Mike
2013 Honda Fit EV
'97 Geo Metro
snowphun

Post by snowphun »

Do you guys play around on Lake Iroquois anymore? I recall a bit of a mess a few years back where someone went (halfway?) through the ice, but I had fun on that lake. I'll be up your way the first week of February, always looking for a place to slide around. :)

Paul
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Post by pdudley42 »

I spent a few hours on the lakes today and found that Malletts Bay will be ready for ITTs before Lake Iroquois. Iroquois had 8 1/2 to 10 1/2 inches, while Malletts Bay had between 10 1/2 and 12 inches. Technically we could hold an event now, but we need more advance. Next week forecasts above-freezing temperatures. This may be good and smooth out the surface; it may be bad and lead to an unusably soft lake surface.
I drove out on the ice and there were some trucks out there too.
These things come together fast and often the season ends too soon, so we may have an event next weekend, aka Super Bowl weekend, aka February 1 & 2.
Try to keep your calendars clear for next weekend.
Hi Paul. To answer your question: yes we can still use Iroquois, we just choose to use Malletts Bay if possible because generally the ice there is better and there is more open space.
Paul Dudley #42