BAYWATCH 2013

pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

BAYWATCH 2013

Post by pdudley42 »

My thermometer reads 8 degrees and the wind is howling. Tonight the weather man is calling for -16 and windy. We all know what that means...plug in your diesels if you want them to start tomorrow morning!
It also means ICE ice baby!!! Sweet, beautiful, glassy smooooth (don't drive on it yet) ice. We dodged a bullet by having the lake still unfrozen during last week's big snow storm, allowing unimpeded ice formation.
My household has a total of 4 cars for lake play this season with a wide range of tires and drive line configurations.
CAN SOMEONE WHO LIVES BY MALLETTS BAY SNAP A PHOTO FROM THE BOAT LAUNCH AND UPLOAD IT EVERY FEW DAYS. A visual makes a lot of difference for enthusiasm, and then I will know when it is reasonable to head out on the lake and start drilling holes to check depth. Thanks.

Who's got something new to drive for ITTs (and don't forget Wintercross at Kenyan's in Waitsfield) this season? Remember, it doesn't need 400WHP to be good. A stock 5 speed Subaru on studded snows is the attainable Bon Scott (look it up) of ice cars.
Paul Dudley #42

There are no accidents; only collisions.
STI NICK

Re: BAYWATCH 2013

Post by STI NICK »

I will see what I can do about the mallets bay ice watch. I drive by it in the morning while its dark, and most afternoons there is enough light to get a picture. I also have some crazy co workers who ice fish on ice i wouldn't consider putting one foot on so getting a regular ice thickness report shouldnt be to hard either.
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
DaveEstey

Post by DaveEstey »

I may have to make some screw tires for the Miata!
"Why kill it? - When you can overkill it."
1987 Mazda RX7 GXL (Hillclimber)
1987 Mazda RX7 GTU (Lemons)
2008 Mazda Miata
2005 Ford F-250 Diesel
2007 Toyota Prius (The Fast Car)
www.DaveEstey.com
BugEyeRex
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by BugEyeRex »

I will try to snap a picture in the morning. Today it looked liked the entire bay froze over night. Root for cold weather and no snow!
Chris SCCV #169

93 Blue Impreza Wrx conversion (toy)
02 Blue WRX Wagon (toy)
98 Green Civic 4dr (basic transport)
08 Red GTI 4dr (toy when given permission from the boss)
NeverFF

Post by NeverFF »

Saw some stuff on Fb about a Sunday itt. Is the lake good to go? Need to know if I should prepare for this or not. I assume the same tech rules apply as in autox..
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Post by pdudley42 »

Responses to previous posts:
Dave, yes you should build bolt tires. On pure black ice you can get trip comparable to pavement! It is very worth it...especially in a Miata. Even 50 bolts per tire will add plenty of grip. Let me know if you need some tip on making reliable bolt tires.

Chris, thanks for the update. I can't wait to see a picture of the bay after yesterday.

NeverFF, sorry don't know you're name. You can change your settings so there is a signature attached to every post you make. There will be no ITT this weekend and probably next weekend either.
To answer you question about preparation, there are a few things to consider aside from regular autocross tech-ability. The first of which is your own safety. This means warm clothes and Yax Trax. Your headlights should be ON the entire time you're driving on the ice! The next consideration is a legal one; the lakes count as public highways in Vermont so your car needs to be insured, registered, and inspected... and you need to have a valid license. You must abide by a 50mph speed limit as well as all other regular street laws. People have been known to get DUIs while driving on the ice. The other consideration is the environmental end of things. Don't bring a car that leaks like the Exxon Valdez. Every car at an SCCV ITT is required to have a spill pillow in it in case of a spontaneous fluid leak cause let's face it, most of us are not using our "A car" for these events. Spill pillows will be available at the event for $1-2 (can't remember). I recommend placing about 4 of them in one location and parking on them just to be sure. No one wants to be the person responsible for making ice driving illegal due to environmental reasons.
And one more thing: if you drive a Volkswagon with the aluminum bullseye style oil pan, MAKE A SKID PLATE!
Paul Dudley #42

NeverFF

Post by NeverFF »

Thanks Paul! This is Kyle Moran BTW. (Sold you the mk7) ill be sure to update my profile.
Car is legal and ready to go. Never had it on the I've before though. Also no need to worry about oil pans, 88 Volvo 740 turbo here.
Thanks for the info. I'll get ready to go as soon as the ice allows.
DaveEstey

Post by DaveEstey »

pdudley42 wrote:Responses to previous posts:
Dave, yes you should build bolt tires. On pure black ice you can get trip comparable to pavement! It is very worth it...especially in a Miata. Even 50 bolts per tire will add plenty of grip. Let me know if you need some tip on making reliable bolt tires.
Any tips would be much appreciated. I have an extra set of daisys and (decent) tires waiting in the wings.
"Why kill it? - When you can overkill it."
1987 Mazda RX7 GXL (Hillclimber)
1987 Mazda RX7 GTU (Lemons)
2008 Mazda Miata
2005 Ford F-250 Diesel
2007 Toyota Prius (The Fast Car)
www.DaveEstey.com
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Post by pdudley42 »

Hi Kyle. Haven't seen you in a while. the Volvo turbo should be a ton of fun in such conditions.
That Mk 7 engine is alive and kicking surrounded by first-gen Miata these days in New Hampshire. It gets regular autocross and track use; every 5.0 should dream of such a glorious life at 24 years old.

Dave: pmd you
Paul Dudley #42

BugEyeRex
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by BugEyeRex »

Po sted a picture of the Mallet's Bay access on the SCCV faceboiok page from yesterday. This morning I went down and the ice fisherman are heading out the on the bay (no vehicles just foot traffic). They are doing a terrible job of plowing the access parking lot. Of course I approve of the lot conditions. :)
Chris SCCV #169

93 Blue Impreza Wrx conversion (toy)
02 Blue WRX Wagon (toy)
98 Green Civic 4dr (basic transport)
08 Red GTI 4dr (toy when given permission from the boss)