Okemo 7/10 & 7/11 2010 Questions

Hillclimbs for NEHA (SCCV, SCCNH, KSCC)
City Goat

Okemo 7/10 & 7/11 2010 Questions

Post by City Goat »

Hey folks,

I might be joining you at the Okemo Hillclimb listed for this July 10th and 11th, 2010 and had a number of questions if ya don't mind helping me out a bit it would be greatly appreciated.

1. Is there an entry form for this event? The one posted on Hillclimb.org has the August 2009 date at the top. http://www.hillclimb.org/events/okemo/okemo_entry.pdf Is it ok to use this one and just cross out the date?

2. Can I register the day of the event? ...My car might not be ready in time.

3. The car I'll be running is a Miata 1.8 powered Lotus 7 replica. I see on the NEHA Classification PDF that: "No kit cars and engine swaps will be allowed in Unprepared. In Street Prepared and Prepared, kit cars and engine swaps will be classed where deemed most competitive" ...does this mean I should even fill out the Classification Worksheet or does it not really matter?

4. It states in the tech and safety requirements section 5.DD that I need an oil overflow catch can or breather system. Just checking if this is actually necessary? I know it's a small point, just curious.

This will likely be the first event I'll have my 7 at. So it's really more of a testing weekend for me and less of actually looking to compete. Plus it would be great to come to Okemo again and get my "revenge" on the hill that claimed my GTO transmission haha.

Any other tips to make this go as smoothly as possible in regards to running a kit car/passing tech?

-Ryan
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Re: Okemo 7/10 & 7/11 2010 Questions

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Revenge of the GTO.... doesn't exactly scream Lamda-Lamda-Lamda to me.
1. Is there an entry form for this event? The one posted on Hillclimb.org has the August 2009 date at the top. http://www.hillclimb.org/events/okemo/okemo_entry.pdf Is it ok to use this one and just cross out the date?
The 2010 entry will be posted in advance of the event. Just wait for it.
2. Can I register the day of the event? ...My car might not be ready in time.
Yes, you can register at the event. Normally there is a late entry fee.
3. The car I'll be running is a Miata 1.8 powered Lotus 7 replica. I see on the NEHA Classification PDF that: "No kit cars and engine swaps will be allowed in Unprepared. In Street Prepared and Prepared, kit cars and engine swaps will be classed where deemed most competitive" ...does this mean I should even fill out the Classification Worksheet or does it not really matter?
You just need the form to determine what Street Prepared class your car falls into. It is not needed at the hillclimb. It is just a tool to help you with the numbers.
4. It states in the tech and safety requirements section 5.DD that I need an oil overflow catch can or breather system. Just checking if this is actually necessary? I know it's a small point, just curious.
Post this question in the forums at hillclimb.org; Walter Clark or Don Taylor will respond.
Any other tips to make this go as smoothly as possible in regards to running a kit car/passing tech?
It will run much smoother if you buy the drinks for everyone at the hill. :drinkers:

Does your car meet the rules for roll over protection?
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
City Goat

Post by City Goat »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:Revenge of the GTO.... doesn't exactly scream Lamda-Lamda-Lamda to me.
haha, nice reference. Unfortunately or fortunately, the GTO is long gone.
Rabbit Farmer wrote:The 2010 entry will be posted in advance of the event. Just wait for it.
Waiting patiently :)
Rabbit Farmer wrote:Yes, you can register at the event. Normally there is a late entry fee.
Sweet. Thanks for all the help here man.
Rabbit Farmer wrote:You just need the form to determine what Street Prepared class your car falls into. It is not needed at the hillclimb. It is just a tool to help you with the numbers.
Ok, question is since it's a kit car technically nothing in the suspension is stock...so do I give myself a +10 for non stock springs and modified suspension or +0 because this is "stock" for my kit?
Rabbit Farmer wrote:Post this question in the forums at hillclimb.org; Walter Clark or Don Taylor will respond.
I might just do the breather anyway. I was just curious if I'd actually be turned away from running my car if it didn't have a breather.
Rabbit Farmer wrote:It will run much smoother if you buy the drinks for everyone at the hill. :drinkers:
Heh, before or after the race? :drinkers:
Rabbit Farmer wrote:Does your car meet the rules for roll over protection?
My cage is built to specs for a 2500lbs car and will likely weigh about 1300lbs wet. Looks to be in 100% accordance with the rules.

Here is a shot of the car. Ordering SFI roll bar padding and seat brace to conform with the rules as well.

Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I'm not a cage builder...... and this is just my opinion, thought, observation as a non-fabricator/non-builder of cages, that there should be more support for the A-pillar. It seems it doesn't have any support (i.e. gusset) and there is a long distance between the A pillar and the B pillar (assumption that the B pillar is at the driver's head and there is actually no C pillar). Just thoughts and observations. :popcorn:
Steve #702
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
City Goat

Post by City Goat »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:I'm not a cage builder...... and this is just my opinion, thought, observation as a non-fabricator/non-builder of cages, that there should be more support for the A-pillar. It seems it doesn't have any support (i.e. gusset) and there is a long distance between the A pillar and the B pillar (assumption that the B pillar is at the driver's head and there is actually no C pillar). Just thoughts and observations. :popcorn:
Hey Steve,

I appreciate the concern but honestly it's the first time it's come up after having a good number of folks look over the build who are experienced with cages, racing and fabrication. The cage was incorporated into the frame to conform with SCCA specs beyond it's weight. Maybe it's the angle of the shot? The A pillar is triangulated near the scuttle from the A pillar onto the side bar (there are 2, it's hard to see...one is the frame and one is the cage).

I do appreciate the input though, and cheers to hoping I never have to find out the hard way :)

Any thoughts on the spec sheet question about adding +5s for "non stock suspension" on a kit car?
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I think you pretty much throw the classification sheet out the window for your car, they'll assign you a class based on where they think it will be the most competitive.
Do you have heater in the car? as silly as it seems it's a requirement for the street prepared class.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

My opinion on classing.... pretend it is a regular Miata and take the hits for the modifications, BUT use the actual weight. I bet you'll land in SP4.
Steve #702
City Goat

Post by City Goat »

sachilles wrote:I think you pretty much throw the classification sheet out the window for your car, they'll assign you a class based on where they think it will be the most competitive.
Do you have heater in the car? as silly as it seems it's a requirement for the street prepared class.
Oh man, please tell me your kidding :( ...looks like your not; looking over the SP rules there's no way I can fit into that class, the 7 won't have lights, windshield, door handles (seriously?) or bumpers. I was hoping this would be different for a kit car?

Would I just be able to enter into the Prepared class then?

Rabbit Farmer wrote:My opinion on classing.... pretend it is a regular Miata and take the hits for the modifications, BUT use the actual weight. I bet you'll land in SP4.
That's a good idea. I'm fine with running in a class that makes the car completely uncompetitive, really just wanted to approach this hillclimb as a time to stretch the cars legs, get comfy with the setup and have some fun.

Guys again thanks for all the help here.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

You just end up in prepared. No huge difference other than who is in you class. Similar requirements on the safety gear(suit etc).
If you just want to stretch the cars legs, it doesn't really matter, just concern yourself with having the safety requirements met. Just because you are a P car doesn't mean they expect you to go up the hill like a bat out of hell.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I didn't realize that your car isn't street legal. Yep, prepared it is then. This means mandatory car, mandatory suit (fire retard. clothing), and a requirement for a kill switch. Goes by engine size in prepared. You'd be in P2, I think. My Rabbit is in P2 and that is a 1.8-liter.
Steve #702