NEHA: Vermont Hillclimb Schedule 2013

Hillclimbs for NEHA (SCCV, SCCNH, KSCC)
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

NEHA: Vermont Hillclimb Schedule 2013

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

New England Hillclimb Association (NEHA) schedule for 2013 has been posted.

http://www.hillclimb.org/schedule.html

Steve
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Re: NEHA: Vermont Hillclimb Schedule 2013

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Good news... Spring Ascutney is the full 5 miles, there will be good food, Don Taylor and Drew Young are co-charing.

Also.... the 2013 price for speedway services for Philo is the same as 2012. No increase.
Steve #702
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
Challenger392

Post by Challenger392 »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:Good news... Spring Ascutney is the full 5 miles
Just some clarification for a new guy, does "the full 5 miles" end at the little U-turn that is almost at the top or will we be going all the way to the Parking lot at the very top? I would like to know because I have been trying to familiarize myself with some off the hills via YouTube, and this will give me a better idea of what Im getting into.
2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392
1972 Dodge Challenger
2000 Toyota Tacoma
1997 Mitsubishi Gallant
Howe Modified
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

My typo... it should read the "full 4 miles" not 5.

The u-turn you mention is at the 3 mile mark. That is the normal finish line.

The full 4 miles will end just below the parking lot that is at the top. It ends before the parking lot to give people room to slow down before the parking lot.

The last time NEHA ran the full 4 miles was something like 2004 or 2005. Max Stratton's group ran it in 2012 so that might be a good video resource for learning the hills.

Steve
Steve #702
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Challenger392 wrote:
Rabbit Farmer wrote:Good news... Spring Ascutney is the full 5 miles
Just some clarification for a new guy, does "the full 5 miles" end at the little U-turn that is almost at the top or will we be going all the way to the Parking lot at the very top? I would like to know because I have been trying to familiarize myself with some off the hills via YouTube, and this will give me a better idea of what Im getting into.
Past the u turn. Search for the max Ascutney event on YouTube. Only one in the YouTube era, that goes all the way to the top. Search for Jamie melhuish to get a good one. I do the same thing. Ascutney is very hard to remember.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
Challenger392

Post by Challenger392 »

Yes Ive found its kinda hard to remember the turns, since there are very few landmarks besides trees. :lol:
1972 Dodge Challenger
2000 Toyota Tacoma
1997 Mitsubishi Gallant
Howe Modified
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I find Ascutney very easy to remember... Burke and Philo are my hard hills.

Philo is just two turns that catch me off guard.... one is dangerous and the other is fast.
Steve #702
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:I find Ascutney very easy to remember... Burke and Philo are my hard hills.

Philo is just two turns that catch me off guard.... one is dangerous and the other is fast.
I'm the opposite.

You can watch a lot of video, but it won't substitute experiencing the hill. The camber and bumps in the road are difficult to learn from video.

Learning to read the road like a rally co-driver can help. Grade the curves 1-6 etc. 1 being a hairpin and 6 being almost straight. We label the corners. Commit the trouble corners to memory. And a cheat sheet on the dash helps.
Sachilles
Challenger392

Post by Challenger392 »

I know that there is no substitute for learning the hills by driving them. For know im just trying to become farmiliar enough with them to be able to know what is coming up next when I do get to drive them. The co-driver notes is a good idea, I also thought of printing out a small picture of the hill I was currently running and putting it on the dash of my car to reference if need be.
1972 Dodge Challenger
2000 Toyota Tacoma
1997 Mitsubishi Gallant
Howe Modified
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Pm me your email address and I can email you corner notes for ascutney up to the U turn.
I'm not trying to discourage you from studying video, it's good to study it. It's just that they are tough to learn.
Some people pick up certain hills better than others. Sunlight and weather can factor in to seeing the hill ahead of you. It's very much a mind game. It's fun as hell and very addictive. The off season is so darn long waiting to tackle another hill, it's almost impossible to not go stir crazy waiting for your next crack at a hill.

Just remember to build speed slowly. Cracking up a car means you aren't racing it, which stinks. It also means nobody else is driving while they pull your car out of the woods. Build up to your limits at your own pace. Don't feel pressured to be fast. Just have fun.
Sachilles