Winter Challenge Rally

Time-Speed-Distance Rallies
Gravelguy

Winter Challenge Rally

Post by Gravelguy »

Did anyone else go? This makes the 6th time for me, and I dare say it was the best! The conditions were amazing with all the recent snow. In fact, it snowed all night during the event so that we never saw pavement or dirt all night long!

We didn't stay for the awards ceremony, but I'm anxiously waiting the results as I think we did pretty well (we we're in 4th in S class before we left!)

:partyman:
Dave_G

Re: Winter Challenge Rally

Post by Dave_G »

Yup, I was there for the fourth time, and Diane was navigating for her second time. I agree -- the conditions were phenomenal, and it was so much fun driving those snow-packed roller-coaster roads all night!
:drive1:

This is always one of the high points of my motorsports year. It's a really great event, and we're so fortunate to have it practically in our back yard. This was the best-attended running of the event that I've seen, and it was great to see it filled to capacity.

Did we get to talk during the event? Hard to say unless you introduced yourself as Gravelguy, and I think I would have remembered that. :)

We were driving the black BMW E30. We ended up finishing the event first in Class S, but as far as I'm concerned everyone who ran the event "won", because it was so damn much fun. (Well, except maybe for the team that had the off into a tree, but even they looked to be in good spirits at the end.)

Here are the results for Class S as they were posted on the wall at the finish:

Hats off to John Buffum for creating this event and keeping it going each winter, and to all the workers who toiled all night so the rest of us could have our fun. It was good to see Steve J. there and working some checkpoints.

Can't wait to do it again next year!
Dave GuertinImage
'90 Miata (summer fun)
'91 BMW 325iX (winter fun) oo=[][]=oo
'04 Mazda 6s wagon (family fun)
Gravelguy

Post by Gravelguy »

Thanks for posting that up Dave! We did in fact meet and spoke for a while. My name is Kevin and I was driving the vw golf R. My co driver was your co-worker Jamie!

By the looks of it, Jamie and I had the lowest score on section 3. I'm shocked especially considering we took ZERO TA's for that section! :shock:
Dave_G

Post by Dave_G »

Gravelguy wrote:By the looks of it, Jamie and I had the lowest score on section 3. I'm shocked especially considering we took ZERO TA's for that section! :shock:
Wow, that's incredible that you did that with no TA's. Congrats on that. You must have been flying! There was no way that I could keep up the speeds on that last section, so we ended up taking a 1.5 minute TA on six of the eight legs, due mostly just to falling behind on the clock mile after mile.

For those who weren't there, the last section was 3+ hours of driving 38-40 MPH (those are average, not maximum speeds) on twisty, hilly, slippery snow-packed one-lane roller coaster roads. It was totally awesome. :D
Dave GuertinImage
'90 Miata (summer fun)
Gravelguy

Post by Gravelguy »

Well, you guys were obviously keeping better track of your time than we did, congrats on your 1st place! The only reason we didn't take any TA's was because we weren't sure how to apply it......afterall, section 3 was the first section we didn't get lost in. Seems obvious to take them when you KNOW you are lost.

Already praying for snow for next year!
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Roads were incredible. Charlie and I worked a checkpoint in a white Subaru. We were pressed hard to make it to our last checkpoint near VTC. Checkpoint opened on 10 minutes after we arrived. Good times.
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
Gravelguy

Post by Gravelguy »

Thanks for working the event!
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I work it because I can't navigate my way out of a paper bag and my wife had the Subaru.
Steve #702
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
Dave_G

Post by Dave_G »

One of the other teams put together a nice video of their rally that gives a good feel for what it's like:

Fun times! 8)
Dave GuertinImage
'90 Miata (summer fun)
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Enjoyed the video.... actually watched the whole thing! Roads were great!
Steve #702