Japanese Classic Car Show

Mike Kamm

Japanese Classic Car Show

Post by Mike Kamm »

Here's a rare opportunity on the east coast, an all Japanese car show. Honda, Datsun/Nissan, Subaru, Mazda, Toyota, etc. Coming up this September 16th, is – Japanese Car Day - Sponsored by the DRONE (Datsun Roadster Owners of New England) Club and Lexus USA. It is held at the Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline, MA. Go to: http://www.mot.org/Events/lawn.html . This is a lawn show outdoors in front of the museum. I have actually been there before for thier Mini and Micro car show. Take a look at the show field:

This was obviously not taken on the Japanese car day, but you can see how beautiful the place is. There is even a small paved circular access road around the show field to cruise you car around so everyone can hear and see it the cars in motion. You can take people for rides too if you'd like. Sure beats a stationary show where the cars are silent! It's just $10 and that includes admission to the museum inside too. Food is available on site.

I'm going and I will bring my hotted up Datsun B210.

Anyone interested in bringing out one of your early jewels of the Orient?
2013 Honda Fit EV
'97 Geo Metro
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Hmmm. I'll run out and get a 510 for this show (love those cars). We haven't owned anything non-American or non-Germany since.... cripes, 7 years? (and it was all Julie's fault).
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
Mike Kamm

Post by Mike Kamm »

Here's what I'll be bringing...

My 77 Datsun B210. A nice example from San Diego.

I bored and stroked the 1398cc stock engine to 1608cc's. Twin 40mm Dellorto carbs, ported head and Crane cam. ;)
2013 Honda Fit EV
'97 Geo Metro
Mike Kamm

Post by Mike Kamm »

I'll be heading out tomorrow morning for the show. Doesn't anyone in VT have a Japanese car? :o
2013 Honda Fit EV
'97 Geo Metro
gtivr4

Post by gtivr4 »

Nice looking 210! I always wanted to restore an older Japanese car (like a 70s Corolla or Celica or a 510).

Does a Miata qualify as a classic yet? I know there are plenty of those in the club! But I doubt 18 years old is considered a classic.
Nathan Dana
1990 Miata, 1992 Volvo Cow, 1997 Sonoma, 2012 Locost 7
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

If I wasnt on call I would go down.
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
Mike Kamm

Post by Mike Kamm »

The All Japanese car Show was awesome this past September. This the only such event in the eastern US and it couldn't have had better weather, ot have been during a better time of year. I'm an old schooler, and as such I have to say that I was it was unfortunate that there wasn't a single early Subaru or Honda in attendance. Kind of a shame if you ask me. But Datsun, Toyota, and Mazda guys were all in luck, as there were quite a few of them on hand. I only took a few pics, [mostly video] but here is a sampling for you all.

Check out this Late 60's Datsun Roadster.

They had some Japanese exchange students there dressed in their native attire and they were demonstrating caligraphy for all who requested it. Many cars on the showfield had examples of their work on their windshields.

My friend Chris brought a really neat Mazda REPU there. REPU stands for Rotary Engine Pickup Truck. These rare Mazda's were very special for their time. Unlike the standard piston engine Mazda pickups, these were the "Sport" models. They had the 13B rotary engine, wider fender flares, factory tach, wood grain dash, bucket seats, etc. Also, there were really nice examples of early RX7's, one of which had 19,000 original miles! There was a really clean Toyota SR5 Lift Back there too. The gent came all the way from Long Island [including a ferry ride] to show it.

Then there was this car [above] that won people's choice for the show. It was a '67 Toyota Corona. It is owned by a gent named Gerry. This thing is mint and super rare.

All show participants received a goodie bag containing free samples of car waxes, polishes, an event dash plaque, coupons for a free bottle of Sta-Bil gas stabilizer, maps pens, etc. A very nice touch by the organizers.

Yes there were all sorts of great newer Japanese cars there too, but in this post I am focusing on the old school cars I saw. The organizers told me that this show is continuously growing each year. That's great news. I read in the current issue of Road and Track that the Japanese cars are finally becoming more popular and recognized in the collector car community.

My B210. It's a '77, and originally from San Diego.
2013 Honda Fit EV
'97 Geo Metro
Mike Kamm

Post by Mike Kamm »

Here are a few more.....
Alex Grabeau brought out his awesome Mitsubishi Lancer Evo II for the show. Formerly a street car, it is now used primarily for open track events. This right hand drive Evo II is a very rare automobile. No left hand drive examples were ever built, as these were strictly Japanese domestic market cars. It would be several more years before newer models of this car were imported to and sold in the US.

Note Alex's newly added fender flares and super wide track wheel and tire combo. These were added due to the car having so much power that wheelspin was always a problem -even with the AWD! The engine has many mods including a larger turbo, bigger injectors, etc. He said the added offset does make it steer harder, but he knocked off 6 seconds per lap off of his previous best at the last track event.

You guys might consider coming out to this next year. It's a lot closer than California! ;)
2013 Honda Fit EV
'97 Geo Metro
Mike Kamm

Re: Japanese Classic Car Show

Post by Mike Kamm »

This years edition promises to be be bigger and better as Japanese cars are finally being recognized as collectibles and classics now.

Japanese Car & Motorcycle Day 2009
Lawn Event
August 16, 2009
10:00:AM
15 Newton Street Brookline MA 02445
For more information call: 617-522-6547

Join us for our annual celebration of all things Japanese! Classic cars, tuner cars, & sport bikes will all be on display. Please email frontdesk@larzanderson.org or call (617)522-6547 to register your car today! Car Registration is only $20. Motorcycle Registration is $10. Spectator admission is $10 adults, $5 seniors, students, children under 12. A Breakfast and Lunch Menu will be available on the grounds provided by Euro Delights Catering and for more information visit http://www.eurodelights.org.

Website link is HERE.
2013 Honda Fit EV
'97 Geo Metro
TSR53

Re: Japanese Classic Car Show

Post by TSR53 »

Mike this is a really kewl posting! [sorry kind of OT and don't mean to hijack the thread, just add to it :D ].

I've owned several Japanese rigs. Too bad I still don't have these, would have been nice for this show.

First one was a 1980 Chevrolet L.U.V. 4x4 pickup (aka Isuzu). I bought it brand new in 1980 when I was 19 - my first new truck. I wheeled the sh!t out of it, all over Santa Cruz and Saratoga, CA Mountains, Lake Tahoe area and even on parts of the Rubicon.

Clear Creek, New Idrea Mines area, CA

On the Rubicon near Miller Lakes

Next up was a 1982 Toyota 4WD long bed pick up. When the 22R needed rebuilding I just dropped a complete 18RG in instead :lol:

Hollister Hills off-road area, CA top of the big hillclimb.