Calendar of 2010 track days

Events that are not Sponsored or Organized by the SCCV.
Dave_G

Calendar of 2010 track days

Post by Dave_G »

OK, as promised, here's a thread listing track days hosted by other clubs. If you want to get your car on a race track, these are the best places to do it. I have listed seven clubs in the Northeast, at least most of which have seen SCCVers show up at their events. I have left off other clubs that are more based in the mid-Atlantic region and points south, but if anyone knows of other track day clubs that should be on here, let me know and I'll edit this post to include them.

Most of these are High Performance Driver Education (HPDE) events, where you attend classroom sessions and are assigned an instructor who rides along with you on the track. No experience is necessary -- it's a great way to learn or improve your driving skills. The exception is the COM Sports Car Club, whose 2-day events feature a typical HPDE on Day 1 (i.e. instructor and classroom sessions), and a competitive time trial ("time attack" for you young 'uns) and open track on Day 2. I think they are also the only club that openly permits lap timing. (For experienced drivers, most of these clubs will approve you to drive solo after checking you out.)

Prices are generally about $200-$225/day for COMSCC and BMWCCA. Both of these groups also offer a $100 discount for first-time participants, which is a screaming deal. SCDA tends to be a little more expensive, $275-$350/day. NEQ (North East Audi Club) is usually around $230-$270/day.

(For you Miata and other ragtop drivers, be aware that most of the BMWCCA chapters do not allow convertibles unless they have a full cage. The Boston chapter seems to be the exception. They, along with COM and SCDA (not sure about NEQ) allow convertibles with a 4-point roll bar.)

I'll be doing at least half of the COM events this year. Jason is an instructor with BMWCCA-White Mtn. (and can also instruct with the Boston chapter) and will probably be doing most of those events. Others have done SCDA and NEQ events in the past. If you check here, you will be sure to find out which events folks will be attending. Have fun, and see you at the track!
2010 Track Days wrote:COMSCC
5/03-5/04 Mon-Tue Monticello
5/31-6/01 Mon-Tue NHMS
7/02-7/04 Fri-Sun NHMS
8/02-8/03 Mon-Tue Mont Tremblant
8/28-8/29 Sat-Sun NHMS
9/14-9/15 Tue-Wed Watkins Glen
10/09-10/10 Sat-Sun NHMS
11/04-11/05 Thu-Fri NJMP

BMWCCA - Boston
5/24 Mon NHMS
6/07-6/08 Mon-Tue Monticello
7/05 Mon NHMS
8/06-8/08 Fri-Sun Mont Tremblant (w/ Quebec Chapter)
8/22 Sun NHMS
9/22-9/23 Wed-Thu Watkins Glen
10/03 Sun NHMS
10/22-10/24 Fri-Sun NHMS (w/ White Mtn. Chapter)

BMWCCA - White Mountain
4/16 Fri NHMS
4/29 Thu NHMS
8/27 Fri NHMS

BMWCCA - Patroon
5/01 Sat. Lime Rock Park
6/14-6/15 Mon-Tue Watkins Glen (w/ NY Chapter)
7/16-7/18 Fri-Sun Calabogie (w/ Ottawa BMW Car Club)
8/30 Mon Monticello
10/23 Sat Lime Rock Park

BMWCCA - Genesee Valley
05/08-05/09 Sat-Sun Watkins Glen
07/26-07/27 Mon-Tue Mosport
08/25-08/26 Wed-Thu Watkins Glen
09/25-09/26 Sat-Sun Watkins Glen

SCDA
4/12 Mon Lime Rock Park
4/19 Mon NHMS
4/26-4/27 Mon-Tue Watkins Glen
5/17 Mon Monticello
6/14 Mon Lime Rock Park
6/21-6/22 Mon-Tue NJMP
7/05 Mon Lime Rock Park (experienced drivers only)
7/12-7/13 Mon-Tue Watkins Glen
7/26 Mon Monticello
8/23 Mon NHMS
8/31 Tue Lime Rock Park (experienced drivers only)
9/13-9/14 Mon-Tue NJMP
9/27 Mon NHMS
9/29 Wed Lime Rock Park
10/04 Mon Monticello
10/14 Thu Lime Rock Park
10/30 Sat Lime Rock Park (experienced drivers only)

NEQ
5/21-5/22 Fri-Sat Lime Rock Park
6/14-6/15 Mon-Tue Monticello
7/19-7/20 Mon-Tue Watkins Glen
8/23-8/24 Mon-Tue Watkins Glen
9/25-9/26 Sat-Sun Mont Tremblant
Last edited by Dave_G on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dave GuertinImage
'90 Miata (summer fun)
'91 BMW 325iX (winter fun) oo=[][]=oo
'04 Mazda 6s wagon (family fun)
brownMINI

Re: Calendar of 2010 track days

Post by brownMINI »

I'm actually more closely aligned with the White Mountain BMWCCA than the Boston chapter. Though I can instruct with either.
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

NEQ usually is in the 230-270 per day range. You can probably find there events on motorsportsreg.com with the prices. Although they dont usually post a lot of info for there events until they open registration. That has been my experience with them in the past.
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
Dave_G

Post by Dave_G »

Edited the original post with corrected info.
Dave GuertinImage
'90 Miata (summer fun)
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

Dave_G wrote:Having said all that, I will use this opportunity to put in the first of what will probably be a series of plugs from me to attend COM's annual event at Mont Tremblant. If you like the Glen, you'd love Tremblant. Watkins Glen is a fun track, but for me Mont Tremblant is even more fun, in terms of driver challenge, pit-of-your-gut thrills, variety of corners, and scenery. When F1 raced there, Jackie Stewart claimed it was second only to Monaco in difficulty. I know there will be a contingent of SCCVers going to that event as well.
An Autoweek article in the Feb 22, 2010 issue, regarding the Ferrari Driving Experience held there, really got my attention about Mont Tremblant. It was written in the article that Michael Schumacher, after driving the Canadian GP in '05, detoured to Mont Tremblant before heading to the F1 at Indy. They managed to find him a F360 Challenge car (go figure) for some hot laps, after which he proclaimed, "Wow, this is like a little Nurburgring." The author added it has the soul of Monza, possibly because of Gilles Villeneuve beginning his road racing career there.

Really like to fit that into this year's schedule - looks like the first week of August is the target - are you planning for the Aug 2-3, Dave (G)?
And do you have a quick guide to safety equipment req'ed?
Dave P. #189 '02 MINI CooperS+ "Elphie"
"People who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." -unknown
Dave_G

Post by Dave_G »

DaveVT02S wrote:Really like to fit that into this year's schedule - looks like the first week of August is the target - are you planning for the Aug 2-3, Dave (G)?
Yup, I'll be there for sure! It sounds like a few other SCCVers are planning to attend as well, so we should have a great time there. Remember, you need a passport to go to Canada now, and they take several weeks to get if you don't have one already, so it pays to plan ahead.
And do you have a quick guide to safety equipment req'ed?
Every club's requirements will be different. Here's a link to COM's rule book:
http://www.comscc.org/rules/
Click on the 2010 Rule Book, and go to page 6 for car requirements and page 9 for driver requirements.
Dave GuertinImage
'90 Miata (summer fun)
darTTh audi

Post by darTTh audi »

STI NICK wrote:NEQ usually is in the 230-270 per day range. You can probably find there events on motorsportsreg.com with the prices. Although they dont usually post a lot of info for there events until they open registration. That has been my experience with them in the past.
Info on the NEQ events at their website can be found here: http://www.neqclub.org/

I'm signed up for Limerock in May already and will probably be at most of them. I am tempted to go back to Calabogie however and the Patroon BMW event is seemingly the only one held there this year. Monticello looks like an awesome track, that should be fun. NEQ are all 2 day events BTW.
Bill R.
2008 Audi TT 3.2q
Dave_G

Post by Dave_G »

darTTh audi wrote:NEQ are all 2 day events BTW.
Fixed.

BTW, do you happen to know the NEQ rule on convertibles with a roll bar vs. a full cage?
Dave GuertinImage
'90 Miata (summer fun)
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

Dave_G wrote:Remember, you need a passport to go to Canada now, and they take several weeks to get if you don't have one already, so it pays to plan ahead.
:D Well, specifically you only need one to get back :D - a few of us went up to Napeirville last fall and only the Reilley's had passports/EDL's (and were the only ones who got bitched at), the rest of us had licenses and birth certificates - no major problems then (and that was with a certain black Subie going first, and then a truck towing a trailer w/ a certain black Audi getting stuck in the "lane", but I digress), but U.S. Customs is under notice to start enforcing the policy "soon". I've now got my EDL, so no worries there - I can add that the Burlington DMV office now issues EDL's; you're given a temp license and the EDL arrives w/in a couple weeks...

Thank you for the link (pages) ...
Dave P. #189 '02 MINI CooperS+ "Elphie"
"People who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." -unknown
darTTh audi

Post by darTTh audi »

Dave_G wrote:
darTTh audi wrote:NEQ are all 2 day events BTW.
Fixed.

BTW, do you happen to know the NEQ rule on convertibles with a roll bar vs. a full cage?
Open Top Cars
To ensure the safety of all participants, open top vehicles (Cabriolet, TT Roadster, S2000, Miata, Boxster, 65 Mustang, etc) are subject to special ACNA restrictions. From the ACNA rules:

No convertibles will be allowed to participate at any ACNA driving school that takes place at a "race track"- This includes TT's, Boxster's, BMW's etc. Vehicles with factory roll hoops and / or deployable roll over protection will not be allowed. Targa and T-Top roofs are not considered convertibles and are allowed.

For the above excluded vehicles to be allowed to participate at a "race track” the minimum requirements are;

A four point roll cage consisting of a main hoop behind the front seats with two rear braces, which must conform to the "broomstick" rule (there must be at least two (2) inches of clearance between the top of the driver's and passenger's helmet and the imaginary line drawn between the top of the car's front wind screen and the top of the roll bar main hoop.)
A four and preferably five point safety harness. Also remember that we have the "reciprocal" rule: The passenger seat must have an equivalent seatbelt to the driver's seat. This applies to all cars.
Arm restraints are recommended but not required at this time.
Removable hard tops are not considered structural roofs.
You are encouraged to point out to potential participants that we are primarily concerned for their safety and that of their passengers, and that for almost every convertible model out there, there is some form of relatively inexpensive, aftermarket roll-protection available."
Please note that BOTH you and your Instructor MUST fit under the broomstick, with 2" min clearance with your helmets on, or you will not be allowed on the track. (STRICTLY ENFORCED!!!!!)
Bill R.
2008 Audi TT 3.2q