NEMS $500 dollar car 500 mile rally

Events that are not Sponsored or Organized by the SCCV.
DaveEstey

NEMS $500 dollar car 500 mile rally

Post by DaveEstey »

Event will benefit the Dana Farber Cancer Inst.

Rules:
1. Car must be purchased for under 500 dollars. So if you buy a 450 dollar car and put 75 bucks in your car is worth 525 dollars. Don't lie about what you did to your car. We will all think you are a scumbag.
2. Safety you can go all out. That means there is no penalty for tires, brakes, wheels or caging of said car. I want everyone to be safe here.
3. For every 100 dollars over the 500 dollar allotment you will be penalized 10-15 bucks that will be paid to Dana Farber. (you can give me cash and I will make a large deposit at the end of the event if you don't want to write a check.)
4. There is no use of GPS. You will be given a map and you and your co-driver can figure out a route. (cheating is scummy don't be that guy)
5. Your license will be put into an envelope along with your co-driver so in the event you get into trouble with the law you will have to open the envelope thus disqualifying yourself from winning.
6. Price per person is 20 bucks ( I plan on having some t-shirts made so I would like people to pay a month before the event so I can get them made in time. The rest of the proceeds will be given to Dana Farber).
7. This is a fun event with people who want to give back to a great organization while having fun doing it. Do not ruin it for the rest of us. If you drive like a tool I am sure there will be many people waiting to have a word with you.
8. since we don't have means to time everyone once you get into the said location where you are supposed to go. Buy something at a convenience store or something like that and get a receipt. That is your time slip. If you lose your receipt you will be given the last time + a 10 minute penalty for being stupid.
9. There may be challenges given during the course of the rally. That is yet to be determined.
10. Every car must have 2 people. 1 to steer 1 to push.
11. It is advised to have some sort of insurance but it is not mandatory. Also stocking your trunk with oil, antifreeze and other stuff would prob be a good idea.

If there are any questions feel free to pm me. If you have a car or need a ride post up on here and we will try to find you a second person.

meet up time is 7:30 am on Saturday the 14th of August. Roll out is at 8:00 am sharp.

More info: http://www.nemotorsport.com/boards/show ... php?t=8627
"Why kill it? - When you can overkill it."
1987 Mazda RX7 GXL (Hillclimber)
1987 Mazda RX7 GTU (Lemons)
2008 Mazda Miata
2005 Ford F-250 Diesel
2007 Toyota Prius (The Fast Car)
www.DaveEstey.com
gtivr4

Re: NEMS $500 dollar car 500 mile rally

Post by gtivr4 »

So basically a LeMons race but without the race, sounds like fun... Wish I had my old $250 Honda Accord...
Nathan Dana
1990 Miata, 1992 Volvo Cow, 1997 Sonoma, 2012 Locost 7
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Why does one need to purchase a $500 car if it is essentially a legal road rally? Seems more people would get involved if they didnt' need to purchase another car, get it registered (pay taxes), and get insurance on it.
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
DaveEstey

Post by DaveEstey »

I think the event planners are trying to force some unreliable vehicles into the mix to spice things up.

I'll be running my CRX and paying the penalty for it being a $800 car prior to the safety addons.
"Why kill it? - When you can overkill it."
1987 Mazda RX7 GXL (Hillclimber)
1987 Mazda RX7 GTU (Lemons)
2008 Mazda Miata
2005 Ford F-250 Diesel
2007 Toyota Prius (The Fast Car)
www.DaveEstey.com
Taiden

Post by Taiden »

If it were a $500 OFF ROAD RALLY then that would be a blast. :mrgreen:

If they want to throw unreliability into the mix why not just make everyone drive a VW. :axe:
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Taiden wrote:If they want to throw unreliability into the mix why not just make everyone drive a VW. :axe:
Mouse hovering above the ban button. :rock:
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
tiFreak

Post by tiFreak »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:
Taiden wrote:If they want to throw unreliability into the mix why not just make everyone drive a VW. :axe:
Mouse hovering above the ban button. :rock:
you have to admit, any Volkswagen you buy for $500 isn't going to be all that reliable :lol:

:banned:
Brendan Murray
SCCV #318
BMWCCA #405199
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

The plot thins: :(
...the meeting place is the southbay mall in Boston. I have mapped out a route that is approx. 500 miles.
Sorry, deal breaker for me (even w/ a potentially free Taurus sitting in my neighbor's driveway)
Dave P. #189 '02 MINI CooperS+ "Elphie"
"People who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." -unknown