NHMS w/ COM, May 31-June 1

Events that are not Sponsored or Organized by the SCCV.
Dave_G

NHMS w/ COM, May 31-June 1

Post by Dave_G »

I just got back last night from a great event at NHMS. The more I drive this track, the more I like it. It still gives me fits trying to learn the best way around, but I like a track that doesn't give up its secrets easily. We had great weather, great company, and a great BBQ on Monday night. It was nice sharing a garage with Ron L. and his new Mustang. What a sweet car!

Despite the ominous forecasts, it hardly rained at all on Tuesday, so most people got to drive a dry track all day long. (My time trial group was one of the few that had drizzly rain during the session, which unfortunately slowed me down just a little. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. :wink: )

I had an instructor ride with me this time, and talked with lots of other people about lines, all of which resulted in a big improvement in how I drive this track. For the first time, I feel like I'm starting to understand how to put a quick lap together. After the time trial session yesterday we had an hour and 45 minutes of open track, which I used to practice and experiment. After an hour turning laps I was starting to get a little tired, so I came in early, but I learned a lot during that session, as well as the earlier sessions. I managed to beat my previous personal best by over a second, which made me happy. My goal was to get into the 1:25s, and with one lap of 1:25.996, I made it. Just barely, but a 25 is still a 25. :)

With what I know now, I know that I still have even more time to gain. Most of the top drivers in my class are capable of 24s, and for the future I will have my sights set on getting down to that range based on what I have learned. Which is:

(BTW, this for my Miata -- other cars will behave differently)

Turns 1-2A-2B (south chicane): I'm braking much later now than I used to (at the 1 mark now, though I think if try taking a lower line in, I might even be able to push that back a bit), and trailbraking into 1. This is a fast-in, slow-out turn. My big revelation came in deciding whether to brake for 2A or not. I discovered that when I braked to settle the car for 2A, I could get on the throttle sooner after 2A, and maintain full throttle all the way through 2B. As a result, my exit speed onto the back straight was a full 5 MPH faster than when I didn't brake. The evidence was pretty clear: brake for 2A, and get on the throttle earlier for 2B.

Turn 3: Another big breakthrough here. I'm now turning in at the second-to-last turn-in cone rather than the last cone, and putting all four wheels over the rumble strips at the apex. This gives me a bit of an early apex, but the track allows this. I'm at about half-throttle over the rumble strips, and I can get to full throttle as soon as I'm past them and the car settles. This makes me hit the compression leaving the oval towards the left side, but not all the way over, and I'm tracking out in Turn 4 very close to the left edge of the track up the hill. (I actually don't have much room to play with here, suggesting that I'm about at the limit.) I'm now 5 MPH faster at the apex (40 MPH instead of 35), and I'm carrying that speed up the hill all the way to Turn 6.

Turn 6 (the Bowl): I'm still struggling a bit with this one. I was first taught to take a straight line to the turn-in cone, which is how I've always done it. This time I tried doing the rim-shot around the right edge of the track before turning in, and I think I like it better. I'm actually doing a kind of modified rim-shot where I straighten it out just at the very end when I brake. I also realized that I was being hesitant about getting on the throttle after turning in; I would brake, turn in, and then not get on the throttle until I was almost to the apex. I learned yesterday that I can go to full throttle as soon as my foot comes off the brake, i.e. when I turn in. The banking helps a huge amount when you do that. The newly-paved section at the track-out of Turn 6 is also a huge help here. I was routinely dropping my right wheels onto that new pavement. It's ridiculously off-camber, so you don't want to go way out into it, but there didn't seem to be any penalty in putting two wheels onto it.

Turn 9: Another huge gain here for me. I was way over-braking for this turn, because it's scary and there's a big drop-off in front of you. Like Turn 1, this is a fast-in, slow-out turn. I should be trailbraking around this turn, but I haven't gotten there yet. In the past, I had been accelerating down the hill to Turn 10. This was an indication that I could have been taking Turn 9 faster. Once I started braking less for 9, I no longer needed to (nor was it possible to) accelerate down the hill.

Turn 10: This is a turn that I've always managed pretty well. Be full-throttle before you hit the big bump and the car will stay planted. If the car doesn't track out all the way to the left edge of the track, you could take it faster. (Monday I became personally introduced the sharp, nasty, hard curb at the apex of 10. The reports are accurate: Don't hit it.)

Turn 12: I started carrying a bit more speed through 12, which was a help down the front straight. I'm braking at the Turn 11 cone on the left as usual, but now I'm off the the brakes as soon as I touch the curb on the right. I'm on the throttle immediately, and full throttle as soon as I know I can reach the apex. Don't early apex 12, and you can get on the throttle sooner without paying the penalty at track-out (which is a big penalty in the form of deep holes in the dirt).

Fun times! The next COM event at NHMS is over the 4th of July, and is a special 3-day event, where Day 1 is HPDE, Day 2 is practice, time trials, and open track, and Day 3 is all-day open track. I'll be there there for Day 1 & 2. Anyone else?
Dave GuertinImage
'90 Miata (summer fun)
'91 BMW 325iX (winter fun) oo=[][]=oo
'04 Mazda 6s wagon (family fun)
DaveEstey

Re: NHMS w/ COM, May 31-June 1

Post by DaveEstey »

hmmmm I may have to save my pennies and come out.
"Why kill it? - When you can overkill it."
1987 Mazda RX7 GXL (Hillclimber)
1987 Mazda RX7 GTU (Lemons)
2008 Mazda Miata
2005 Ford F-250 Diesel
2007 Toyota Prius (The Fast Car)
www.DaveEstey.com
Dave_G

Post by Dave_G »

Oh, and I almost forgot: Congrats to Ron L. for earning his COMSCC license! :coolbeer:
Dave GuertinImage
'90 Miata (summer fun)
Dave_G

Post by Dave_G »

DaveEstey wrote:hmmmm I may have to save my pennies and come out.
It's totally worth it. This would probably be a good time to remind people that COM offers a $100 discount to new members for their first event. (I could make a comparison to similar marketing schemes used by drug dealers, but I won't go there.) That would make the cost $125 for one day, which is a screaming deal. (For more driving, it would be $325 for two days, or $425 for all three days.)

BTW, I have changed my registration and will be there for Day 2 & 3, but not Day 1.
Dave GuertinImage
'90 Miata (summer fun)
honda8790

Post by honda8790 »

I went with Russ with the Boston BMW club to watch and get use to what is expected and to calm some nerves. After getting a ride and watching everyone go through the process it made me feel more comfortable with the track, the club, and the process of attending a track day. I plan to attend at least one NHMS event this year with the RSX.
00 Honda S2000 - Summer Fun
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Like anything it can be intimidating at first look. I had a great experience with the bmw folks. I was in my new subie which I wasn't fully comfortable with, and it certainly wasn't a power house. They do a good job, and providing you listen to their input(which I have no doubt you will) you'll be in good shape. My instructor had me at ease from the get go. Heck I did my best to spin in the chicane(just like slmp :lol: :lol: ) and the instructor was calm cool and collected and made me feel at ease.
Dave, I know what you mean about the blind corner just before you come back down to the oval. Sure got my heart pumping EVERY time.

I think the biggest problem I had was driving my own line, and that was were my instructor was very helpful. I found myself catching people without a ton of effort, but then I'd start to follow their line which usually wasn't the fastest. I think it wouldn't be as huge a deal in a group with less novices. Nothing is quite so satisfying as catching a car in front of you that you know SHOULD be losing you.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
darTTh audi

Post by darTTh audi »

Nice write up and analysis Dave. I'll have to try to get to NHMS for a day sometime this summer.
Bill R.
2008 Audi TT 3.2q
Rice Burner 17

Post by Rice Burner 17 »

Dave_G wrote:Monday I became personally introduced the sharp, nasty, hard curb at the apex of 10. The reports are accurate: Don't hit it.
What happened? Did it eat your right front tire for breakfast?
Dave_G

Post by Dave_G »

Rice Burner 17 wrote:What happened? Did it eat your right front tire for breakfast?
No, fortunately I escaped unscathed, with no damage other than startled nerves in the driver. I think I brushed it just lightly enough -- if I had been an inch or two further right I might have been telling a different story!
Dave GuertinImage
'90 Miata (summer fun)