Venue Comparsion: Devens, MA and Loring, ME

Events that are not Sponsored or Organized by the SCCV.
saabman

Venue Comparsion: Devens, MA and Loring, ME

Post by saabman »

I know some members have traveled to the Devens for large surface A/X. CMC is holding the first autocross at the Loring AFB in Limestone Maine Aug 21/22 I offer the following comparision of the sites.

TRAVEL

Devens is 4 hours from Burlington

Loring is 8 hours from Burlington

VENUE

While the miliary base at Devens was decomissioned in the early 90s, only a portion of the facility is available for A/X use. Specifically an area .75-1.5 million sq feet depending on which club is running the event.

Loring was also decomissioned in the early 90s. The primary current use of the facility is non-aviation, although the airfield is still maintained (and supports occasional air activity). The entire facility is available for autocross: main runway 12,000 by 300 ft, aux runway 12,000 by 180 feet, cross taxiways 180x 1600 ft (3), main taxiway 8000 by 180-300 feet and staging pad 500 x 1700 feet. (7.8 million sq feet). ** additional 4 million sq feet of paved area adjacent to the runway complex.

COURSE

Past Devens events has run a single 60 second course. Courses appear to be primarliy "linear"

CMC will run is first event later this year, and current plans are for 2 courses (to be run simulataneously). Each is planned for 80 second run time and national level speeds with national caliber design. This should serve as our future logistical model.

Chris
CMC A/X Chair