Loring A/X Mega Event Aug 21/22 Pre Event Thread

Events that are not Sponsored or Organized by the SCCV.
saabman

Loring A/X Mega Event Aug 21/22 Pre Event Thread

Post by saabman »

CMC is hosting a mega A/X event a the decomissioned Loring AFB in Limestone Maine. We are less than 2 months out and the event is really taking shape. Current plans are for two SCCA national caliber courses with 70-80 second run times on each. We will operate both courses at the same time and each competitor will get to run both the north and south course in each driving session. Think of this as 2 events within 1 day. Lots of runs. We aim to provide great value as an offset to the long travel most everyone will have. Course maps will be posted online as we get closer to the event.

We will set the courses up on Friday afternoon so that come Saturday we are ready to start running early. Courses will be HUGE and "walk throughs" will be done by parade lap. Bring a bicycle is will be a big help getting around.

Camping is available on site for both tents and RVs. At the air field there are no hookups but there is a formal campground elsewhere on the base with hookups.

THis is a must do event if you live in the North East. 11.1 million sq feet of paved surface. We will only use a small portion but the courses will still be huge.

Chris
CMC A/X Chair
Last edited by saabman on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveEstey

Re: Loring A/X Mega Event Aug 21/22 Pre Event Thread

Post by DaveEstey »

It's hard to believe that anything in New England could be 7.5 hours away but there you have it.
"Why kill it? - When you can overkill it."
1987 Mazda RX7 GXL (Hillclimber)
1987 Mazda RX7 GTU (Lemons)
2008 Mazda Miata
2005 Ford F-250 Diesel
2007 Toyota Prius (The Fast Car)
www.DaveEstey.com
Larson

Post by Larson »

That sounds great. I'd be in for the drive if I didn't have a wedding to attend(MY OWN). I tried to putoff the wedding a week but that's a no go. I guess people have plane tickets and plans already set.

If you see me there, I got cold feet and went for this instead :drive1:
gtivr4

Post by gtivr4 »

Larson wrote:That sounds great. I'd be in for the drive if I didn't have a wedding to attend(MY OWN). I tried to putoff the wedding a week but that's a no go. I guess people have plane tickets and plans already set.

If you see me there, I got cold feet and went for this instead :drive1:
No kidding? I'm getting married that weekend too!
Nathan Dana
1990 Miata, 1992 Volvo Cow, 1997 Sonoma, 2012 Locost 7
rocwandrer

Post by rocwandrer »

Let me just emphasis that the plan for this event is:

On site camping available Friday and Saturday night adjacent the paddock.

Course setup, safety/chair runs, and chalking Friday, with some sort of informal social BBQ or something Friday night. Probably the bulk of the registration Friday night as well.

An early driver's meeting Saturday, with TWO SCCA Nationals size courses which we will run all day Saturday (split into two groups, everyone together for the lunch break, swap courses halfway through the day). We are expecting with a very high turnout, each driver will still get 12 runs (plus fun runs potentially).

Saturday night, Sunday's courses will be set up, safety/chair approved, and chalked.

We will have multiple course variations available depending on turn out. Shooting for 6-8 runs on each course Sunday, but slightly shorter courses and no fun runs Sunday, so those who aren't staying Sunday night can get an early start to the drive home.

Tentative plans are to (on top of treating each course like a CMC regular points season event), score the weekend like a mini series in itself with real trophies at awards Sunday.

For most of you SCCV guys, this venue is a little less than twice as far away as Devens, with a little more than 17 TIMES the usable pavement area, and large sections of good condition pavement 3-5 times the width of the narrow little short runways and taxiways at Devens. Comparing the two, the extra gas cost should be more than offset by the lower entry fee (reciprocal member rates for you guys) and lower (or zero if you camp on site) accommodation costs. Plus it is a beautify drive up there that time of year :D
saabman

Post by saabman »

For a bit less bare bones camping, the onsite "commercial" campsite at Loring is Malabeam Lake Campground (http://www.mainerec.com/malabeam.shtml)
saabman

Post by saabman »

One month out.

Many details have fallen in to place and still others are being worked on. What we definately want is a HUGE turnout. You guys dont want to miss this one, nothing bigger being run this year anywhere in North America.

South course morning
North course afternoon

(or vice versa depending on which group you are with).

Thats right 2 full a/x events in one day for one entrance fee.
6speed
Rotary Nut

Post by 6speed »

Sounds a little like the Autocross events I went to in Mineral Wells, TX a couple of times. It was at a huge old airport and two tracks were set up (one was a mirror of the other) and you got in one of the lines, ran the course and got in the line for the other. :D It was pretty challenging to the memory.
Jason Russell
1988 RX7 Turbo
VEMS Engine Management retailer/installer