Vermont Winter Challenge Rally, Feb. 18-19

Events that are not Sponsored or Organized by the SCCV.
Dave_G

Vermont Winter Challenge Rally, Feb. 18-19

Post by Dave_G »

In just over two weeks will be the latest running of John Buffum's renowned Winter Challenge rally (http://www.winterchallengerally.com/), starting and finishing in Barre, Vt. This is one of the most fun things I've ever done behind the wheel of a car, particularly when the roads are snowy. Trying to keep up the speeds Buffum sets on those winding hilly roads gives new meaning to the word "exhilaration." :drive1: I'm going back after a two-year absence and counting down the days on the calendar.

I just wanted to point out something that he says on the web site, though:
Put your entries in - if on Feb 10/11 we don't have at least 15 or 20 entries - we won't do the event. No sense in troubling the workers all night for a small number of cars. {I'm expecting that we'll have our number}
I expect they'll have enough entries, too, but if they don't I'll be severly bummed. So if you're thinking about it, but not sure, stop thinking and do it! Yeah, I know, "but I like autocross/rallycross/hillclimbing/blah blah blah better." Well, you're not gonna be doing any of those things Saturday night, you're gonna be sitting around watching TV or sleeping, and trust me, this is about 1000x more fun than that.

I will say that this is known as a difficult rally, and it's not supposed to be open to first-time novices, but given that they are looking for more entries, I'm hoping they may make exceptions if you plead your case well. There will also be a rally school at the beginning, and shoot, I'll even offer to do a little how-to session if people are interested.
Dave GuertinImage
'90 Miata (summer fun)
'91 BMW 325iX (winter fun) oo=[][]=oo
'04 Mazda 6s wagon (family fun)
Mike Kamm

Re: Vermont Winter Challenge Rally, Feb. 18-19

Post by Mike Kamm »

Thanks for the informative post Dave. Yes my navigator Steve and I will be running this event for the 5th consecutive year and are looking forward to it. At this time do you have any reports of snow cover on any of the roads we usually traverse up there?

I don't want to bring my studded tires if it will be a dusty dirt rally like a couple of years ago.

Cheers,

Mike
'89 4WD Sentra
2013 Honda Fit EV
'97 Geo Metro
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Unless we get a storm, expect dry dirt roads, with no snow banks..
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
Dave_G

Post by Dave_G »

Mike Kamm wrote:At this time do you have any reports of snow cover on any of the roads we usually traverse up there?

I don't want to bring my studded tires if it will be a dusty dirt rally like a couple of years ago.
Sorry, I haven't been up that way recently. It sounds like roads all over the state are pretty clear, though. There's certainly no snow around here in the Champlain Valley, though the higher elevations in the Northeast Kingdom might have a little. Maybe someone who lives up closer to that way can chime in. They are forecasting a little snow late this week, but nothing major.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't been able to run it for past couple years, and I'm happy to be back, snow or not (though snow would be better!).

Too bad you couldn't make it up to Quebec for the Rallye des Neiges a few weeks ago. They had quite a bit of snow up there, and it was a fun, brisk winter rally (kind of like the WCR, but shorter).
Dave GuertinImage
'90 Miata (summer fun)
Mike Kamm

Post by Mike Kamm »

Thanks Seth and Dave. Here's what I've been up to in readying the old Sentra for this year's event:

First up was attending to my regular annual rust maintenance. Different corner of the car each season. As soon as I see holes, no matter how small, I get right down to business. The doors I can let go a bit longer, but any rust on the chassis gets repaired immediately.

I am also replacing a worn and leaky power steering rack. I was lucky to find a new old stock unit from OEM Surplus, who sells obsolete factory parts for great prices. These were expensive units back in the day, but I got this one for $100 shipped.

I actually bought the rack about five years ago, because I knew this day would come. I don't envy the guy who's got a bunch of these to try to sell. I'll bet there's not even thirty 4WD Sentras still on the road in the US these days.

What's neat about the 4WD spec B12 Sentra racks is that the ratio is a bit faster than all other models. I certainly like that.

Mike
2013 Honda Fit EV
'97 Geo Metro
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

According to our local forecast, they are saying we'll get precipitation tomorrow and friday. They are calling it a neutral snow event. Basically we'll get snow, we'll get rain and we'll get warmth. By the time we are done, the snow will be the same height on the ground.
However, that may mean you get that greasy top layer of mod on some of the normal winter tsd roads. On the upside, the frost heaves aren't as bad this year.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
EVT_Dan

Post by EVT_Dan »

I'm running this year, for the 4th year in a row. Can't wait !

Glad to head about the lack of frost heaves.
Looks like Thursday is the brunt of the snow, with rain mixed in. Friday will warm back up, then scattered snow showers Saturday.
Honestly, it looks like it could get tricky. Some of the higher elevation roads and the shadows may keep their precipitation on them, making for some spots that could "catch you out" if you become to relaxed on the majority of dry dirt roads.
Dave_G

Post by Dave_G »

Yup, it looks like we might actually get just enough weather in the next few days to make things interesting. I hope so!

I've missed the last two years, but ran the two years before that, once as a driver and once as a navigator. I'll be there in the black iX. What'll you be driving?

I'm counting down the days! :drive1:
Dave GuertinImage
'90 Miata (summer fun)
EVT_Dan

Post by EVT_Dan »

I'll be in a blue 2004 STi with yellow Hella 500 driving lamps on the front.
How do you like that iX ?
Dave_G

Post by Dave_G »

EVT_Dan wrote:How do you like that iX ?
Two words: AWE-SOME. 8)

(Don't ever ask me that question in person or you'll never get me to shut up.)
Dave GuertinImage
'90 Miata (summer fun)