2017 AMEC Ice races

Events that are not Sponsored or Organized by the SCCV.
Dave48

2017 AMEC Ice races

Post by Dave48 »

Hi all,
Dave Burnham here fellow SCCV member and Adirondack Motor Enthusiast Club (AMEC) president. http://icerace.com/

You may have seen me at some of the SCCV autocrosses this summer. I was sorting out my new yellow SMO class ice race car with the Maserati engine at the autocrosses. I had a lot of fun running with you all and learned a lot about the car. This thread is to tell you about the ice races AMEC offers. I realize SCCV does some time trial type ice racing events and I don't want to take any people away from your events. But if it happens that AMEC is racing and SCCV is not we would love to have you come race with us.

As you may have noticed the weather is cooperating a lot better this season than last year. As warm as it was last winter AMEC still got in 3 days of ice racing so we always race every year it’s just that sometimes it happens a lot more some years than other years. The ice races start soon as we have ice (12") and we race until the ice is gone or all the cars are broke:-O

We run 9 classes of wheel to wheel racing. 5 of the classes are for street legal (SL) cars. No roll bars are needed on 4 of the SL classes, all you need is a helmet and snow tires with the snow flake on them. We have street legal race classes for 2WD and 4WD cars with and without studs. The street legal races are non contact wheel to wheel races. If there is contact between two cars and the corner workers see it both cars are penalized regardless of who is at fault. This is intended to keep contact from happening. But keep in mind that this is ice racing and stuff happens and the snow banks can cause as much damage to cars as car to car contact. Our Street legal classes are our largest classes with up to 40 cars driving to the track, racing in three 20 minute races, plus a practice session, and then driving home when done all for $60!

The other 4 classes of ice racing AMEC has are for full race cars with roll cages and much more aggressive tires with either molded in studs or screws installed. Some of those classes are for cars like the one I had at the autocross but with wings on them. There are also classes for cars like VW Golf, Honda Civic, Subaru's, Audis, etc just about any car that has a cage all Rally cars are welcome.

We also have what is called the 20-20 which allows first timers to go out on the track on our lunch break for 20 minutes for $20.

You can find the AMEC rule book here: http://icerace.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... 7Rules.pdf

We have a pretty active message board that you can ask questions on also here: http://bamecmessageboard.runboard.com/

On the icerace.com web site there is a link for videos.

You can also search You Tube for the Adirondack Motor Enthusiast club video page. There is a lot of neat stuff there.

This year we are helping the Audi Club of America with two ice driving schools. We are also holding a "Studs on Ice" event which is an autocross on ice. Please see our schedule on the icerace.com web page for where we will be each week. But note that the schedule often changes because of the weather and as we “chase the ice”. If there is no ice down south we go north, if there's too much snow up north we may go south and it can change the day before a race so always check the schedule before heading out.

AMEC is also active on face book so search for the Adirondack Motor Enthusiast club and “like” us.

I will try to update this thread as the season goes on so stay tuned for more. If you have questions please feel free to e mail me. racing48@nycap.rr.com

Thanks,

Dave Burnham
AMEC President and Club Historian
SCCV member
#48 SMO class ice racer
Phone (518) 875 6956
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Re: 2017 AMEC Ice races

Post by pdudley42 »

I just wanted to second what Dave said.
AMEC's ice racing is the best bang for the buck in terms of wheel to wheel racing. Incredibly addictive and far warmer than you think...unless your heater doesn't work.
Want to try something a bit more adrenalizing than time trials? How about running sideways in a 65mph corner right next to your new best friend?...in a no-contact class!!
Car's not modified enough for racing, you say? Street-legal classes on DOT tires mean a stock car is often better than one on race springs and stiff roll bars.
Your car is too rusty and soft to be a race car, you say? Just think of your soft body as disconnecting yet another sway bar...even better bite in the corners!
Your competitor just added a $5000 turbo kit; you just Rain-X'd your side windows. Advantage: YOU!!!
Paul Dudley #42

There are no accidents; only collisions.
Dave48

Re: 2017 AMEC Ice races

Post by Dave48 »

AMEC starts its ice racing season this Sunday on Lake Algonquin in the town of Wells NY. So far we have racers coming from 5 different states! All the details are on the http://www.icerace.com web site.

If you want to try ice racing come out this weekend because you never know if this will be the first of many or the last of the season (its so weather dependent). Call or e mail me if you have any questions.

Dave Burnham
AMEC President
racing48@nycap.rr.com
(518) 875 6956