VEMS has Vermont's First AWD Dyno

If you know of a good auto shop that you trust, or you provide automotive related services for let everyone know about it here.
STI NICK

Re: VEMS has Vermont's First AWD Dyno

Post by STI NICK »

Sure brag about the tune but no numbers :lol:

Just took the STI out for the first time today. Have to get it up to Jason sometime soon for a baseline. Compare it to the last dyno it was on.
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
6speed
Rotary Nut

Post by 6speed »

Honestly, the numbers are completely useless on an automatic transmission. Subaru seems to slip the torque converter a lot. So even though I calibrate the RPM at 3000 rpm in 3rd gear, once I hold the engine at 2200 (hold the wheels at the engine speed divided by final drive that equates to 2200 at the engine) it's fine, but when I add load the car slips the torque convertor so the engine is really at 3000 but the wheels are still at an assumed 2200. This really messes everything up. From what I could calculate from the measured torque, he's getting 230hp at the wheels at peak HP. This is all theoretical of course since it's a lot more complicated than the simple function I used, but it's the best we could get with an auto trans. :(

Seth is right, I found no love for Subaru auto trans control. haha.

I'll have to figure out how to tap one of the coils for RPM to make it better, but I can't really do much about the way the car controls the torque convertor. I tried the coil tap, but it didn't work right off, so I didn't spend a lot of time working on that. Tuning was the first priority.
Jason Russell
1988 RX7 Turbo
VEMS Engine Management retailer/installer
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Post by pdudley42 »

Jason, as I understand it a lot of factory scan tools can command torque converter lockup. That would be very useful, but only if you could borrow one for free. Cause how many automatic Subarus are you likely to tune?
Paul Dudley #42

There are no accidents; only collisions.
vtgti

VEMS has Vermont's First AWD Dyno

Post by vtgti »

I did a little research this morning for curiosities sake on Subaru auto tranny lock ups. Apparently, for those that have tapped into the signal wire to lock up the torque converter, they can't expect more than 10 runs before it dies. I guess there are aftermarket upgraded torque converters though.
1982 BMW 320i
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

There is a free program call freeSSM that can let you mess with the subaru transmission. However, the requires you to be connected to the obd2, which you also need to do to flash the rom. I can see that being a pain.
Given the age of my transmission, I'm not convinced I'd want to force it to an unexpected states. However it might be fun for Jason to play with for some other customer down the road.
Bottom line, the car motors along quite nicely.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.p ... ht=freessm
Just in case anyone is curious about the freessm tool. Useful for folks with subie and subies with automatic transmissions.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Sitting at 250whp per Jason. Still some optimization to do. Not bad for a girl car.

Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar