Project: 2001 1.8T Golf IV

Discussion about automotive projects
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Re: Project: 2001 1.8T Golf IV

Post by Rabbit Farmer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:43 pm

So.... this was Friday at Mt Washington.

Saturday and Sunday went a lot better.

Photos and videos coming soon.

Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar

Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Re: Project: 2001 1.8T Golf IV

Post by Rabbit Farmer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:40 pm

Well... it has been a crazy summer.

After Mt. Washington there wasn't much to post. There was nothing to fix on the car as it ran great all year.

With the mishap at Mt. Washington, and the issues of connecting to it with my phone since day one (grrrrrr!), I did not use the new GoPro5 much the rest of the season. I need to send it back for replacement (has a 2 year "return even if you intentionally mess it up" plan). Some pictures, some video, but nothing you haven't seen before.

Backing up a little to the preparation for the season, one thing we did notice was a loose ball joint or tie rod end.... ended up being the tie rod. Chris Cheeseman of Cheese Factory had the time to fix the car with my compressed/rushed schedule trying to get the car ready. I trust this man with my cars!

Car was aligned the next day with a shop down the road.

Highlight for me was at the historic Mt. Philo Hillclimb… passenger in a brand new Tesla Model “S” P100D driven at (almost) speed. Holy #$%@#$^ acceleration Batman! It was a rocket! First full electric car (I believe) at a New England Hillclimb Association event. Sweet!

Winding down after a fun and successful season. Decided that a good friend of mine (Kyle) could take a look at the Golf to see if there were any major issues caused from the little excursion at Mt Washington. All fixed (need an alignment). There were still some issues with the car from the 2010 Ascutney incident that were not addressed (because we did not have a good frame machine).

Then the summer got really busy as we packed up and moved across town. No time for cars or play. Winter rolled around.

The Volvo looking good with some snow fog over Lake Champlain.

Now that it is almost March, it is time to retrieve the Scirocco (don’t get excited) from the storage facility where we stored during the transition to the new house.

I’m going to just start building the engine for the little MK1…. At least I can get that done so that the car is mobile.

Looking forward to the 2018 season.

Oh… Here is the video from the 2017 Mt. Washington hillclimb. At the end I included the “incident” and some pictures of it stuck on the rocks. Enjoy.

(it will be a while until it is posted as we are on really really really really really sloooooooowwwwwww DSL instead of our very very very fast Cable we had at the old house)

Youtube tells me the link will be here:

Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar