Discussion about automotive projects
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Re: Project: 2001 1.8T Golf IV

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

lawdogg wrote:....dang you work fast.
Lots and lots of practice.

Love the Volvo. Wish we could have picked up the official Polestar version (they only came in the Cyan paint color and had some additional performance offerings above what we have). Quick car. Some things that I do not like about it, but overall a blast to drive.
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

And the planning begins.... tempted to start thread in MK1 Scirocco thread on VWvortex... but, I like all my cocaine and heroin habits in one place. Plus, hookers are half price this week. (huh? that doesn't make any sense).

Working on plans on the MK1 Scirocco.

Tube front end
1.8T (which it already has)
02M cable shift (current 020 5-speed with 4.25 final and shift rods)
FMIC (current what seems to be Corrado SMIC)
Beefy camber plates
Augmented cage for future Mt. Washington hillclimbs (looking forward to next CTTC... of course, I am part of the group planning the event!)

Of course, VEMS.us is in its future......

Golf is done, wash, tucked away for the winter (it is for sale!).... eyes are on the Scirocco.

Planning...... evil laugh.....
Steve #702
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

The update is.... the Mt. Washington Hillclimb returns in 2017!
#CTTC2017

I need to compare the 2017 classes/rules (which are not on the street yet) to what I was planning to do to the Scirocco. Looks like I have to go a little more mild than my original tube front end.

Steve #702
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Planning, planning, planning....

Trying to figure out if I want the 02M (6-speed) or the 02J (5-speed) with cable shift for the Scirocco.

I came across this really, really, really cool site that I can put in all the gear ratios, tire size, etc. and watch it go through the gears using the auto-shift button.

http://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-geareng.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't tried the numbers for the 02J or 02M on the site yet. That will take some time as I need to determine what I have first.

I figure that if my Golf can get into 6th gear at Okemo (just holding speed, not accelerating), the Scirocco being lighter and much smaller diameter wheels will be hitting 6th as a usable gear.

Of course, what is it like at all the other speeds and gears..... what about Burke (tight hill) vs. Ascutney (fast)?

The 02M is much stronger, but since the car is so light, I do not think I need to worry about breaking the 02J. So, strength is not a reason to go with the 6-speed.

Then, there is the weight difference. I think it is 100# (02J) vs. 112# (02M); assuming the internet is correct. Will have to weight both of them when I get a chance. Of course, the 02J doesn't have an LSD, but it will give me the general idea.

Of course... bringing in the cost factor. I have the 02M freshly rebuilt and ready to use. I have the cables for both. Might go with aftermarket upright shifter.... we will see.

Both transmission will either require some fabrication to be able to use the normal MK4 (like my Golf) engine mounts OR order pre-made 02M or 02J to MK1 (Scirocco) mounts. Since this will be always raced, I want something that will hold up. I like the fabrication angle as MK4 parts are easy to come by.

Planning, planning, planning.
Steve #702
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Not too much of an update.

First hillclimb of the year (Ascutney #1 / 2016) has come and gone; weather was great, good to see old and new faces, etc.

I believe this is a personal best (2:56.10... so close to 2:55). Happy with 3rd overall.

Next weekend... SLMP track event with the WRX.
Steve #702
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Favorite photo from the weekend....

Credit: Sam Moultroup

Steve #702
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I did one improvement for the 2016 season.... installed set screw to control the idle.

Oh... and get a new set of Toyo R888 (235/40-17)... after the Ascutney hillclimb. (could have used them for Ascutney)

The car did not always idle when cold and I wanted the engine to run faster after a run (faster than 700 +/- RPMs) to pump coolant through the engine. Historically, I used a split washer to control the idle by putting it between the static throttle body stop and the rotating part of the throttle. I used the split washer because it offered different throttle positions based on its sloped shape.

Anyway... enough of dealing with the throttle, I installed a set screw to address the issue.

One thing I would have done differently if I did it again, I would have done it from the backside so that I could adjust the idle while the engine was running. As installed now, I have to turn off the engine and swing the throttle open to get to the set screw. Live an learn.

Photos of this simple adjustment.

Steve #702
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Good times at the Okemo #1 hillclimb in Ludlow, VT. Strange weather (cold, wet, sometimes sunny.... unlike the usual 90 degrees and all sun).

The car did quite well at the event... 1st in class (Saturday, I was the only one in my class, so don't get too excited), 7th overall at 2:29.07 (nice!) and second fastest in the straight (111 mph... darn Super Chicken got me at 113 mph).

Doing some things to the car prior to Okemo #2 in a few weeks. Swapping out the hot side of the turbo for a small one and safety wiring all the hot side bolts as they backed out in prior years (seem okay this year, but it has been cooler). Naturally a retune is in order at VEMS.us.

Video from this past weekend posted on Vimeo as Youtube's quality hasn't been there for me. Make sure to watch in 1080HD. Enjoy.

Steve
Steve #702
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Half a summer worth of updates....

Golf is normally near 118 mph in the straight at Okemo, but I was running at 111 mph for some reason. It was slower. It was not smoking.

Anyway. After checking things out at Kales Custom, I was off a bit with the compression on two of the cylinders.

My first thought is "hole in the piston" but the car was not smoking at all.

Took the engine apart. While in it, inspected the clutch/flywheel.... looked great!

Pistons, engine block, and head looked good to me (untrained eye).

Hmmmmmm......

Disassembled.

Well, not related to the compression issue, I got to add something else to my carnage wall of shame... a broken main bearing cap. AND... there was nothing wrong with the bearing. Good thing I had the engine apart.

Being new to the whole "broken main bearing cap" club, I thought bringing a bearing cap from another engine the machine shop could make it work. Well, YES and NO. They would have to line bore the caps so they worked with the crank; they send out for line boring; and the "big V-8" guy didn't have one that small.

So.... I brought him a new block. Problem solved!

Not.

I get a call from the machine shop (RPM in Georgia, VT) and they tell me they can't put the pistons in the cylinders. They don't fit. They are too big? I didn't recall boring anything.

I also did not recall what I had for breakfast.

Turns out I did .5mm oversize on the pistons at one point as the block was dorked up from one of the previous engines going the way of the Doo-Doo Bird.

Bored and cleaned block with new piston rings (all gapped).

So... the source of the compression issue was actually the seats for the valves. I guess running a bit of boost for 3 years isn't good for longevity of those internal engine parts.

Cleaned up valve seats and new valve seals (all 20)..... figured we were in there anyway.

Everything is back in my garage.... a project for tomorrow as I have the day off.

Meanwhile, while summer is slowly drawing closer to winter, the New England Hillclimb Association (NEHA) hillclimb events continue. Well, I just have to drive, ya know.

Enter the world's fastest red, automatic, Daewoo Lanos with white stickers. It needs all those qualifiers to remove the other 7 Daewoos from the population. I drove it at Okemo #2 and Burke #1. Photo of the World Famous Non-Factory Sponsored Superduper Intergalactic Racing Team Daewoo Lanos (at Okemo) with Julie (little woman) in the 2009 Subaru WRX (my car!!!!) in back of me.

I had lots of time to think in the straights.

In other news... went to wedding with a bunch of local VW club people (Dubsnorth). Had a great time. No one told me about the open bar.

Ascutney #2 is next weekend (favorite hill). I don't think the Golf will be ready with putting everything together, breaking it in, and dyno tuning it. Back to driving the Daewoo.

Then.... October brings about the Mt. Philo hillclimb. Another great event, though, sadly, the last event of the year.

Nothing too exciting.... but I'm still alive.

Steve
Steve #702
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Having some fun with the video from the Ascutney hillclimbs this year.... involved the Golf 1.8t and a stock 2001 Daewoo Lanos.

Steve #702