Project: 2001 1.8T Golf IV

Discussion about automotive projects
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Re: Project: 2001 1.8T Golf IV

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Dave Richmond (the guy with the beard that was at the starting line) was telling me about the launching conditions. I don't normally talk to myself at the start line. Sometimes at the finish line, but that usually involves a "woot!" or two.
Quonset Point
They have autocrosses there? I'll be in North Kingstown (1/2 from Quonset Point) soon. We actually had our wedding reception at the Officers' Club (O club) at Quonset Point... a hundred years ago.
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Pictures... the reason why people read forums and comic books... we don't need no stinking words!

Since I can't weld (at least I don't think I can) or fabricate (I know I can't... king of measure once and cut a million times), Joey at http://www.KalesCustom.com (Kellogg Road in Essex, Vermont) did a lot to the Golf. Custom intercooler piping to and from the intercooler; relocated the BOV to just before the throttle plate; bracket to hold the downpipe (and support the turbo); custom exhaust utilizing the stock exhaust hanger to change the exhaust from side exit (done by Chris Achilles) to a rear exit as I realized that it was too loud (my fault for thinking I wanted a side exhaust); and relocated the battery to the rear; and adding another vent to the valve cover.

Very good job!! I highly recommend Joey's welding skills and fabrication abilities. Of course, he is a Subaru expert, so the Subbie folks get a two for one expert in Vermont. Kudos, my friend!

For those of you hooked on phonics challenged, I present some images for your enjoyment (with limited text interruptions).

The bumper was removed from in front of the IC to allow better airflow. I picked up a trim piece to go around the IC from Chris Havas at http://www.MetalMarks.com (place for rally folks to get carbon fiber parts; located in Vermont, but can ship). I will install this soon when time allows.

Okay, we have some options at the end of the exhaust. That is a V-Band clamp on there that allows for the straight pipe (there already is a muffler in the middle of the car) or a cat.

Joey wired the battery in the rear of the car (or his buddy James who seems to be an electrical guru of sorts... and works on Subbies). I installed the battery box and made the bracket. It actually works pretty well.

So, someone else made it onto the rear window of the car. I reserve this place for people/companies that make racing this car possible through their expertise, help, and skills. (with the exception of the SCDA1.com and vwvortex.com stickers... I'm sure they will get bumped soon) Added... KalesCustom.com (the .com didn't fit). Thanks Joey!

Well, there is always a second (and third, and fourth) project in the house. This one I have been working on. New brakes, new bigger radiator, air dam, removed some panels on the front of the car to allow more air flow to the oil cooler and radiator, etc. Getting a new set of 22.5 x 9.5 x 13" mounted (yep, they are taller than my 20", but the price was right). The new radiator should solve the coolant leak. Enough for now... I plan to get the turbo Rabbit 100% ready for the first hillclimb of the season (Ascutney: check out http://www.hillclimb.org for hillclimbs in Vermont, USA); then I will focus on the Golf. Time is running short so I need Plan B (Rabbit) in place before focusing on Plan A (Golf).

I have to make sure the Golf is track ready all season (i.e. no issues) so that I don't try Plan C again like I did in 2007... the wife's stock 2004 1.8T Jetta on my DOT R compounds (235's) running a HPDE at Watkins Glen. Good times (I swapped the brakes over to EBC yellows and put on Bilstein Sports for the event), but it doesn't have the thrill of the Golf.

Steve #702
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Well, there is only one weekend between today and Ascutney weekend and I don't have a car ready. Golf 1.8t can't be ready for the Ascutney hillclimb as I still need the parts, and after installation, time to dyno tune it. Plan B is on the front burner. I plan to have everything done on this on Saturday (assuming my outer CV boots are here).

Big new 22.5 tires... they look HUGE compared to the worn 20". There goes my mechanical advantage for acceleration, but at least I will be able to get a lot more speed in the straights (I was limited by gearing at Okemo as I was top speed in 5th within the first 1/3 of the long straight).

Looks huge!!!!

They are actually shorter than the tires on Julie's Cabriolet.

... though a little bit wider.
Steve #702
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

The Rabbit ran very well on the smaller tires at SLMP #1; I did find that I had to do a lot more shifting than expected. I did notice that the hottest coolant temperature reading was only 160F; at the hillclimbs, I was hitting 200F by the top of the hill. The difference can be contributed to either the new radiator (it is 2" wider) or the fact that the track event (SLMP) allowed for cooler temperatures with all the shifting (less foot to the floor) and almost no incline (as compared to a hillclimb where the engine is working harder to get up the hill). Opinion will change to fact once the Rabbit does its first hillclimb this year (Burke)... unless I bring the Golf.

With the big tires... wow, what a difference. The car didn't have the same acceleration and the gearing was way off for the track. Oh well, the smaller tires were corded all the way around so I was out of options. I think I still managed a 57.xx second time around the 3/4 mile track (sub-1 minute is everyone's goal at this track).

Back to the Golf... I haven't dyno tuned it yet as I have been waiting on some other toys to help with the reliability of the car. I had two issues last summer... the intercooler piping would pop apart with 23 psi (corrected, thanks to http://www.KalesCustom.com) and the on-plug coilpacks would fail due to the heat. Enter the following:
(a) High Output DIS Coil with Built-in Driver
(b) 16v Spark Plug Wires for DIS Coils - Black
(c) 1.8t Plug Wire Adapter (covers the sparkplug well to keep dirt out)

Now I will have individual coils that will be mounted inside the engine bay, but far from the turbo (heat), standard plug wires, and covers to keep the dirt out. This means that I will not have coils failing all the time while on the track.

Steve #702
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

May 26, 2009

Well, I finally have been able to edit my videos with Div-X Author (simple, yet effective video editing software for $20).

Mt. Ascutney Hillclimb / May 2009 / 5th overall (very happy with results)

Steve #702
MX5 Driver
SCCV Webmaster
SCCV Webmaster

Post by MX5 Driver »

That came out great! nice work.

Looks like there are some pretty good "bumps" toward the top of the hill. They look painful in the vid.
Tim W.
SCCV #72
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Well, since I have this new (idiot proof, easy to use, functional, inexpensive) video editing software, I decided to redo the NHMS track event from July 14, 2008. Here it is... hopefully it is done uploading to Youtube. The previous version that I uploaded in 2008 did not have sound... a little boring without sound, don't you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sC5Q4kGO2E

In-car of turbo Rabbit at SCCV's SLMP #1 track event this past weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClIJeFLh33E

Nick put together a side-by-side of our cars at Ascutney... pretty sweet. We both downshift at the same moment going into corner 13. I added some fluffy stuff (informational images) at the start of the video that Nick put together. I will be chasing his bumper at the next event.... no question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CToi3rEfAbs

05-Jun-2009
Ordered suspension bushings from Autotech... didn't hear anything from them for 2 days, called to find out they were on backorder.... ordered from somewhere else.

Installed trim piece around intercooler opening to clean up the edge. I messed it up a little so I will have to install over the winter when I have more time (it isn't quite flush around the entire opening).

Still planning on installing (though not tying into the wiring as Burke hillclimb is next weekend) the individual coil setup.

Steve #702
Mr. Bridgestone

Post by Mr. Bridgestone »

You need to renew your registration! :lol:

I hope the puddle under the car is just water from all the rain! :lol:

The carbon fiber around the intercooler openning is +3 for weight reduction though! :D
SCCV # 71
2016 Ford Fiesta ST / ARRIVED
2003 Mini Cooper S / SOLD
1990 Mazda Miata / Mariner Blue / SOLD
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon / SOLD
P.C.R. Jaguar 80cc Shifter Kart / SOLD
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Well I ADDED the trim, so that should be -3 points for anti-lightening.

The puddle in the driveway is our sinkhole. It keeps getting bigger every year... I think a stump used to be under that spot. I thought about tunneling under the driveway to tamp it down (sideways) but figured that would screw everything up. I'll wait until it becomes a problem, cut a hole, fill/pack, patch it.
Steve #702
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

what video editing software are you using?
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)