Project: 2001 1.8T Golf IV

Discussion about automotive projects
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Re: Project: 2001 1.8T Golf IV

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

The final dyno chart.....

Somehow we got 234,000 ft/lb of torque at almost 0 RPMs. Not bad for a non-diesel.....
(must have been running Microsoft's BS Dyno Tuning Software for this run)

Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

The Mt. Ascutney Hillclimb is this coming weekend (Sep 14-16, 2012); I will be there with the Golf and taking one run in the Daewoo (there are 8 drivers on the Daewoo-hoo).

Interested in driving or working or spectating (spectating at start line only; best thing to do is sign up as a worker)? Get the details on the New England Hillclimb Association (NEHA) website at www.hillclimb.org. Never worked before... no problem. You will be with an experienced worker. Great fun. Weather looks great for this weekend.

Here is the direct link to the Ascutney page: http://www.hillclimb.org/events/event_ascutney.html

Steve
Steve #702
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Quick video of Ascutney II (2012) hillclimb.

I will put together the full version (lots of different angles) this weekend and post to Yoooootube.

Since Youtube was down last night, I posted the video to Vimeo.

Enjoy.

https://vimeo.com/49653795
Steve #702
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

In a nutshell... I should have rotated my tires as the rears were in very good shape and would have offered a lot more traction plus I had more power than what was needed for the short sections that make up Philo. Long sections like Okemo and Ascutney the current setup works (yet, less power would still be better). 300wHP next year.

HD 1080P link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyerDvRpKbI&hd=1

Steve #702
thorton0

Post by thorton0 »

i love this car!
03 jetta 1.8t
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Finally completed the Ascutney II (2012) video....

Steve #702
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I had a request on another forum to post just the BUMPER view from the Ascutney hillclimb video.

No long intro. Get's right into the timed run and stays on the single camera angle. I still included the row of cars at the end of the run plus the folks that helped make everything possible this year.

Here is the wide screen 1080HD view: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZklDEi_ln8&hd=1

Enjoy.... or whine about it. Don't care either way.

Steve

Steve #702
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

-------------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure that I won't be using this piston again. Temped to pull out the offending matter and apply some bondo to see how that works.

Something new to hang on my wall.

I did notice that the top ring is stuck in the groove and not making contact with the cylinder wall. I will order a new piston, get the rod checked out, and then all new rings for the other three pistons.

Some good news... kind of. If the valve was not introduced to the piston, I would not have noticed that the heat from the turbo was melting some plastic bits on the passenger wheel well. It you look through the little hole on the large melted plastic piece you will see a white tube. That's the fuel line.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Heat shield is in order!

----------------(meanwhile, back at the ranch)----------------------

For those of you playing the home game, here is a little more turbo action for you. Assuming that the tune is stock, this is running around 17psi of boost. Not too bad for something that has a 17.5 to 1 compression ratio.

The 444 cubic inch engine has been great over the years.... let's see, carry the two, divide by infinity, and I come up with 7.3 liters of stump pulling power out of the old 2001 F250. Today's trucks will blow away the power numbers of my old work horse, but since it still looks pretty modern, looks nice, and it quite functional, I started addressing some of the issues.

When I got on the throttle, there would be a cloud of oil smoke behind the truck. To avoid the smoke and oil spray out the back when towing the trailer/car, I would slow down while going up hills to stay out of the high RPMs. A buddy (Dana) took on the task of addressing the oil leak.

My understanding was the oil was coming from the turbo pedestal so I ordered the four O-rings from http://www.dieselorings.com (funny that they have my exact truck on their home page). When Dana got into it, he discovered the oil was actually coming from the EBPV actuator on the pedestal that controlled the warm up valve; closes the valve to help the engine warm up quicker. [EBPV - exhaust back pressure valve).

Turbo with the valve.....

Actuator with obvious oil leak around the EBPV....

Removed all the EBPV parts.....

Sealed the pedestal....

No more valve....

Next.... the fuel tank!
Steve #702
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

Hmm, remember Seth having a tag line about 'Morris' being a "valve-integrated piston edition" - not going for a new subset of the club, are we? 8-[
Dave P. #189 '02 MINI CooperS+ "Elphie"
"People who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." -unknown
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

My piston looked very similar. The circumstances of failure where close as well. No fun opening a motor and finding the parts re-organized.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)