Project: 2001 1.8T Golf IV

Discussion about automotive projects
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Re: Project: 2001 1.8T Golf IV

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

More coming after I drive it off the trailer. ;)

The hood needs to be fixed to be retured to its former glory; it was cut up adding caster to the front wheels (something that I will undo to return back to its original setup).

1.8T, light, wide, fast, and very functional.

Article (when it had the 16V engine) in Golf magazine (clicky clicky); (big file, slow loading).

Steve
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Well, some artsy-fartsy pictures when picking up the car from Bill's. I'm sure he was sad to see it leave as he poured countless hours into designing, building, engineering and racing this incredible car.

It took a little while to get it started as it has sat for a while.... I was using a (too small) Odyssey battery, battery charger (10 amp), and jumping from the Jetta. During the starting phase I was able to figure out all but one button.... I'll have to do a little wire chasing to figure it out. Anyway, when it finally started, I noticed quite the pile of rust, acorns, and seed shells that came out of the side exhaust.

Pictures are worth a 1000 words... in this case, worth a 1000 modifications. Driver's side is wider as everything was moved over 6-8 inches from the side including seat, steering wheel, pedals, center tunnel, shift, etc. Note the cups in the floor for the driver's feet.... makes it really easy to control the pedals. Shifter is raised (you don't need to have a 4 foot arm to shift).

Another view that shows how the driver's side takes up most of the width of the car. The passenger seat is much skinnier. Bill said that to expand the width of the passenger seat, he sat in it and then threw himself left and right until the aluminum seat was stretched to his liking. Sometimes the simplest things just work!

1.8T power plant... non-stock turbo. Standalone engine management, etc. 020 transmission with non-stock gears and 4.25 final drive. Quick!

The pictures show the minor stuff..... the amount of thought and engineering that went into the cage (i.e. splitting open the rocker to insert square tubing to stiffen the sub-frame), body work (I have some fixing to do), and especially the suspension.... incredible work.

More to come later. Hopefully the car runs fine at the autocross on Saturday. Tires are old and hard as rock, but it will be an opportunity to drive it a bit to get a feel for it so I can determine what I want to change on it to fit my driving style.

Steve
Steve #702
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Fall is here and winter is next. This is usually my slow season for working on the cars and then I get back into it around March to prepare for the first hillclimb in May.

Well, not this year.

Golf
1. I just sent back the driver's side axle to the Driveshaft Shop so that they can make the correct length version. Once I get it back I'll be able to move forward.
2. Back to body shop to make one modification to the front end.
3. KalesCustom for IC tubing
4. (I think) Kalescustom for modification to cage for Mt. Washington Hillclimb (I'm hopeful that I can get in)
5. 034EFI for tune
6. Align

Scirocco
1. vwjodi to work on fenders and hood
2. New harness and different seat bracket
3. Figure out rim and tire combination
4. Tune
5. Remove old stickers (except Mt. Washington Hillclimb) from exterior
6. Replace plastic side/rear windows with glass so I can put this on the road (need to learn how to drive it)

Cabriolet
1. Build new engine
2. Install hydro clutch setup (mechanical version right now)
3. Install different 02J with LSD
4. Install VEMS / tune

So, time to get started. Spent the past week getting ready for winter. Changed the oil on the WRX and the Jetta. Put the Cabriolet and Scirocco in the garage sideways (wife needs to be able to part in the other bay).

Before and after picture of rims.... the powder-coated ex-silver rims are a pretty close match to the three gunmetal rims. I now have 7 rims the same color.

Give you an idea how low and short the Scirocco is compared to the lowered Cabriolet.

Steve #702
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

I love that picture. Seeing it in person is even better.
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I understand the Mt. Washington Hillclimb (http://www.climbtotheclouds.com) letters are coming out soon.... looking forward to the event.

Golf gets its final body tweaking next week then I just have to wait my turn for the IC tubing (not a lot of work as only a few parts need to be replaced).

I woke up this morning and determined that I was motivated to start working on cars since the driveway was clear of snow. So.... tore down the replacement engine for the Cabriolet. Will bring block and head (and misc. parts) to the machine shop on Friday morning for cleaning. I'll ask them to check things out while it is there to make sure there is nothing wrong with the parts.

Plan is still to put the 02J with LSD in the Cabriolet along with VEMS for standalone.

Scirocco.... I have the switch (used to start the car).... just need to solder it in.

A little progress.

Steve #702
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

So the golf is going to mt washington? What duty do you have envisioned for the scirocco? Provided both cars are fully functional. Which is going to be your prime hill climb car?
I get confused trying to keep up with your fleet. :lol:
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I don't have answers on how I will use the cars... if I had a two car trailer, I would race them both all the time.
Steve #702
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Cheap trailer for you, might hold two, not sure how long the two cars are.
http://forum.neow.net/index.php?showtopic=101104
Thought it might be neat to put a pop up camper on the front, and car hauler on the back, but I don't think my truck isn't man enough to pull it
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
vtgti

Project: 2001 1.8T Golf IV

Post by vtgti »

Wow! That is a great price for a triple axle gooseneck.
1982 BMW 320i
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Used to have a 40' gooseneck.... that was a handful. Cars are about 14' long each.
Steve #702