brownMINI

Re: the brown MINI

Post by brownMINI »

Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Sweet! Great to have the car back. You know, it looked more like a 70's Cheech and Chong movie with Eric in the car and all the airbag smoke. hmmmmm.....
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
brownMINI

Post by brownMINI »

There's definitely more brown MINI stuff coming soon, but I just broke out the calculator (on the computer) and ran some numbers I got off the scales at NHMS...

Emptied for the track. No driver / passenger. 1/2 tank of gas.

Total: 2421 lbs
Left front: 717 lbs
Right front: 744 lbs
Left rear: 475 lbs
Right rear: 485 lbs

Front / rear distribution: 60.3/39.7 (better than I expected)

left / right distribution: 49.2/50.8 (I don't know enough to know if this is close enough to 50/50 or not)

cross-weight (RF-LR / LF-RR): 50.3/49.7 - looks close to 50/50... and adding me to the drivers seat would bring it closer, right?

I'm such a corner weight / car setup newb. And I don't have adjustable suspension, so I cannot change any of the distributions. But, is there anyone around that understands these things that can tell me how good / bad the numbers are?
skivittlerjimb

Post by skivittlerjimb »

Cross-weights are the most important, so you're really close there. That's a good thing. It's means predictable handling and even tire wear, all other things being equal.

Front/rear obviously affects balance, but then you already knew that. Frankly, I'm jealous! Any more weight you can pull off the front off the car safely?
-Jim B.
'92 GVR4 280/1000
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

The previous months Grassroots mag had an article on corner weighting for the novice. Might be worth looking into. I'll see if I still have a copy.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
343Saturn

Post by 343Saturn »

Here's what I can contribute...

The ratio between left and right side should be 50% (or really close - 0.5%).

I dont think there is an "ideal" ratio between front and rear but the ratio should be biased toward the drive wheels and the more power the car has, the more the bias should shift toward the drive wheels(in general). In rear car applications, they usually start with a rear percentage close to 50 and in front cars the rear percentage around 40. From there, the weight begins getting transfered toward the back through testing / tuning.

The cross weight ratio should also be 50% (or again, really close - 0.5%). This is the easiest one to change as small changes in ride heights at each wheel will alter cross weight.

The left / right and cross ratios will determine how "equally" the car can corner left and right. The front / rear determines stability and how well the car comes out of corners (to a point).

To be most accurate, the numbers should be taken with the car setup as close as possible to the conditions you will drive it under (you in the car too).

Basically, I agree - it looks like your car is in very good shape. The front / rear is exactly at the "starting" point. With you in the car, it looks like you should get you closer to 50% Left / Right and it should also bring cross weight closer to 50%. If you wanted to experiment, you could try experimenting with moving weight to the back (if you can). Otherwise, you can probably leave it the way it is and have fun!
brownMINI

Post by brownMINI »

New parts have been ordered. Possibly against my good judgement, I'm going to mess with the suspension on the brown MINI. I'm slightly concerned because it handles really well as it is. But, having watched Dave G, Jeff C, and Cliff C (among others) pull away from me at Tremblant in turns 1-4, there's hope that some improvements can be made.

So, KW variant 2 coilovers, adjustable swaybar endlinks for the rear (I already had them on the front to deal with tweaking after the accident), and adjustable rear control arms to kill the negative camber that will be gained from lowering.

I resisted the temptation to go with the variant 3 coilovers with separate compression and rebound damping adjustments. I figured I'd probably just get the multiple adjustments wrong most of the time anyway. :lol:
MX5 Driver
SCCV Webmaster
SCCV Webmaster

Post by MX5 Driver »

brownMINI wrote: But, having watched Dave G, Jeff C, and Cliff C (among others) pull away from me at Tremblant in turns 1-4, there's hope that some improvements can be made.
There is an easier fix for this you know.......
Zoom Zoom Zoom.. Join us, you know you want to.
Tim W.
SCCV #72