Locost Seven

Discussion about automotive projects
gtivr4

Re: Locost Seven

Post by gtivr4 »

So a quick update on the Locost, don't worry it hasn't been abandoned!

The rear axle is located by the 4 link rear, I now need to order up a tube to make the panhard bar, and figure out if I can use my existing coilovers or if I need some smaller ones to get it to work. But the rear of the chasis does roll on it's own which is exciting.

The front suspension is getting close, just need to put in an order for a few parts and it too will be put together, and other than coilovers will be close to complete.

After that is sorted, I need to figure out engine mounts, transmission tunnel, and then onto the steering (I have a rack, but will need to figure out tie-rods, and location).
Nathan Dana
1990 Miata, 1992 Volvo Cow, 1997 Sonoma, 2012 Locost 7
Goldmember

Post by Goldmember »

Very cool project Nathan, I've seen it in your sig but never tracked down the build thread till I saw it recently posted to. I'd love to build one myself someday.

That Explorer axle is rediculously cheap, my friend Zac built a traditional style '34 Ford p/u Rod, and when he searched for axle options he just couldn't ignore the 4 link/Explorer axle combo.

Good luck and keep us updated.
gtivr4

Post by gtivr4 »

My goodness has it ever been a long time since I posted anything on here. Bet you all thought I had given up by now!. Life has that nasty habit of getting in the way. Lets see, since October, I have gotten engaged, moved, gotten married, moved again (for the last time in a long time) and the usual life stuff. Anyways, enough excuses and on to the updates! I've been slowly working on getting the front suspension together and fabbed up engine mounts.

Engine mounts were pretty straightforward, just took lots of measurements and made a simple angled mount with a slot. Sandwiched in between the lower mount and the one on the engine is a simple hockey puck (hard to get more locost than that!).

My next step is to do the transmission tunnel, which will require a bit of cutting.

On the suspension side, I think I have the front suspension all figured out, just need to get it put together.

The front arms are done, and the shocks from Yamaha R6 are in place. The steering is going to be an appleton rack, and in order to run circle track gear, I am boring out my Miata spindles to 5/8" (having a machine shop do it right). That will allow me to run high misalignment rod ends as my outer tie rods and standard rod ends as my inners. Seems to be fine in mockup in terms of bump steer.

I think that is all for now. Hoping to make some real progress this spring and get it rolling at least! Gotta get cracking before I have kids and it rusts to death!
Nathan Dana
1990 Miata, 1992 Volvo Cow, 1997 Sonoma, 2012 Locost 7
8valvegrowl

Post by 8valvegrowl »

Sweet! Glad to see progress is being made.
'99 9.3 - Torquey noodle-mobile.
'08 9.3 SportCombi - Family Wagon.
'87 900 - 8 valves of pure fury.
'91 Legacy AWD - Sold :(
'74 MGBGT - Stage: Welding project.
'87 4Kquattro - Gone, but not forgotten
lawdogg

Post by lawdogg »

Looks sweet Nathan.
Il faut voir pour savoir