04 WRX STi Project

Discussion about automotive projects
STI NICK

Re: 04 WRX STi Project

Post by STI NICK »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:Are those 888's? I'm thinking of ordering a set on Friday for my track tires and use the Hoosiers for hillclimbing.
yes those are 888s. Got them from treadzone.com it was the guy doing the tires at the rally. Great guy. Talked with him at the rally. And they are out of PA so it's quick shipping with great prices.
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
Dave_G

Post by Dave_G »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:Are those 888's? I'm thinking of ordering a set on Friday for my track tires and use the Hoosiers for hillclimbing.
Having gone through one set of R888s and several sets of RA1s on the track, IME the RA1 is the better tire. The R888s are good while they last, but they don't last as long as the RA1s, and are about the same speed on the track. Also, with full treads, the RA1 is a better rain tire.

The R888 was supposed to be the replacement for the RA1, but there was such an outcry from racers that Toyo actually brought back the RA1. I'm glad I can get them again, and I won't be purchasing any more R888s.

This is my experience in a Miata (which is in line with what I've heard Spec Miata racers saying too). I'd be curious to hear what others' experiences are in other cars (like big, heavy, fire-breathing 360 HP monsters, for example. :3gears: ).
Dave GuertinImage
'90 Miata (summer fun)
'91 BMW 325iX (winter fun) oo=[][]=oo
'04 Mazda 6s wagon (family fun)
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

Dave_G wrote: Having gone through one set of R888s and several sets of RA1s on the track, IME the RA1 is the better tire. The R888s are good while they last, but they don't last as long as the RA1s, and are about the same speed on the track. Also, with full treads, the RA1 is a better rain tire.

The R888 was supposed to be the replacement for the RA1, but there was such an outcry from racers that Toyo actually brought back the RA1. I'm glad I can get them again, and I won't be purchasing any more R888s.

This is my experience in a Miata (which is in line with what I've heard Spec Miata racers saying too). I'd be curious to hear what others' experiences are in other cars (like big, heavy, fire-breathing 360 HP monsters, for example. :3gears: ).
I have been through a set of both as well. I dont think 888s last quite as long as RA1s, but they still hold up well. I like the 888s at full tread depth more than I do the RA1s. I cant get myself to pay for shaving yet. To me the car feels much more planted with the 888s at full tread depth. They also heat up faster at the hills than the RA1s did.
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
Dave_G

Post by Dave_G »

STI NICK wrote:I like the 888s at full tread depth more than I do the RA1s. I cant get myself to pay for shaving yet. To me the car feels much more planted with the 888s at full tread depth.
Yeah, I forgot about that part. I agree with you there. At full tread, the RA1s are a bit squirmy. They really need to be shaved. The R888s don't need shaving.
Dave GuertinImage
'90 Miata (summer fun)
'91 BMW 325iX (winter fun) oo=[][]=oo
'04 Mazda 6s wagon (family fun)
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

treadzone has good prices... just ordered 235-40-17 888's from them.
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

just took the car out for a 50 mile or so cruise. car runs great. did a quick 3rd gear pull while the tires were cold and you can get them to brake loose. :3gears: :3gears: have a small issue with turbulence in the turbo intake, but that will be easy to fix with a tweak of the piping.
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

some how Joey Managed to get the rear quarter panel pulled out and looking like nothing happened.

The Engine bay. Crap where is the AC?? Guess I will be sweating it out with everyone else. :drive1:

Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
MX5 Driver
SCCV Webmaster
SCCV Webmaster

Post by MX5 Driver »

Look'n good.... :) You going to replace the grill or leave the bling hangin' out?
Tim W.
SCCV #72
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

MX5 Driver wrote:Look'n good.... :) You going to replace the grill or leave the bling hangin' out?
I was going to leave it off, but Laura pointed out to me that it doesnt leave much for protection from rocks or things flying around at track events. I will probably end up putting something there to protect the intercooler.
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
Taiden

Post by Taiden »

how about some of this stuff?

dont worry, only kidding! :drive1: