04 WRX STi Project

Discussion about automotive projects
8valvegrowl

Re: 04 WRX STi Project

Post by 8valvegrowl »

I vote chicken wire mesh, painted pink...errr cherry blossom.

j/k

Looking great! Joey did a real nice job on that rear quarter.
'99 9.3 - Torquey noodle-mobile.
'08 9.3 SportCombi - Family Wagon.
'87 900 - 8 valves of pure fury.
'91 Legacy AWD - Sold :(
'74 MGBGT - Stage: Welding project.
'87 4Kquattro - Gone, but not forgotten
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

So Joey changed the intake piping around today. The intake for the turbo was for the most part straight. This caused the car to want to stall with all the turbulence from the turbo. It also caused the car to run rich under everyday driving. Now the pipe has a couple bends in it and it runs just as good as new. No more stalling, or hesitation from running rich. :drive1:
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I gave Joey $20... he put a restrictor in. Let's see that engine try to suck power through a 28mm blockage. (evil laugh)

See you for breakfast (assuming my darn alarm goes off)

S :drive1:
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

That's OK, he bribed VW so they wouldn't put power to your rear wheels.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

sachilles wrote:That's OK, he bribed VW so they wouldn't put power to your rear wheels.
Ouch. :lol:

Well, I get better gas mileage. :drinkers:
Steve #702
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
MX5 Driver
SCCV Webmaster
SCCV Webmaster

Post by MX5 Driver »

sachilles wrote:That's OK, he bribed VW so they wouldn't put power to your rear wheels.
Unfortunately, for a while there, the power was a limited time offer at the front wheels too.... :drive2:
Hopefully your new 6spd will help with that.. :wink:
Tim W.
SCCV #72
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

Before all the latest modifications I have had a problem with a little pressure getting into the cooling system. It was never a lot and the only time it was an issue was extended time out on SLMP or longer than a 30 min session at a track event. I didnt really think much of it other than we were pushing the car harder now. After seeing the problems Russ was having with the cobra last year pressurizing his cooling system with a bad head gasket got me thinking but didnt really make me think that was the same problem I was having. Well it was the same problem. With the new power levels it would pressurize my cooling system in just a short run up Ascutney, and cause things to overheat.

You can see on the head in between the cylinders the white build up is the stop leak we put in there to try and slow things down.

The stop leak worked and it kept things from overheating, and for the most part stopped the system from getting pressurized. I didnt think it would work, but it did. So Joey pulled the motor on Tuesday, and got the heads decked, and put knew head gaskets on.

We figured the car was still running great so thats all that was needed. Wrong.

Thursday Joey and Charlie got the motor back in. Started it up, took it for a spin. Everything was great, no smoke, and sounded great. perfect. it was 11pm and we figured let the car cool down and in the morning change the oil again, and drain the water in the cooling system and put coolant in, load it on the trailer, and go to SLMP. We did all that and I took it for one last spin. then it started smoking like crazy. Hmmm. Did a compression test and it said all. #1 135psi #2 35psi #3 135 psi #4 90 psi. Oh great. So Charlie and Joey pulled the motor again. Damn those 2 can work fast together. They had the motor out in 30 min or less I think. I wasnt timing them but it was pretty quick. Then the pistons came out. here is #2

#4 piston was cracked. I am guessing the #2 piston was cracked and with the reduced cylinder pressure from the bad head gasket was keeping it from destroying itself. So when the head gaskets were replaced and all the pressure was back it finished it off. We didnt bother to do a compression test before the head gaskets because the car was running great, didnt smoke at all, and didnt appear to be burning anything.

So now its time to rebuild it. Right now I have some Cosworth 100mm Pistons, cosworth oil pan baffles, eagle Rods, acl race bearings, full gasket rebuild kit, ARP Head studs, and some other stuff I cant think of right now ordered for the rebuild. Hopefully will be back together before Burke Hill Climb.
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

And so it starts..... :popcorn:
Steve #702
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

whoa!! That's going to be mean when you are done.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

yeah it should be even more fun. Unfortunately this is going to cut into the event budget for the summer. Watkins Glen and other track events are more than likely going to have to wait til next year.
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70