04 WRX STi Project

Discussion about automotive projects
STI NICK

04 WRX STi Project

Post by STI NICK »

Thought I would start something to show everyone the progress the car has made since we took delivery of it in Oct 2003.
The funny thing about this car is the reason for getting it. I did have a 2002 WRX, and I wanted to modify it. While talking with Laura we decided to look at the STI. We then decided that getting an STI was a better option than modifying what we currently had. This way we would have something new and with a warranty that we wouldnt have to modify any further. HAHAHAHA..........so we both thought anyway

This was taken right after we got it home from the show room floor. there was 3 miles on it when we got it.

Then we got some new wheels and tires, as well as a catback exhaust. That was fine for a while. As Laura and I did more autoXs and track days the brake pads got upgraded, and stickier tires were puchased.

After doing a track event at NHIS I decided to change out the factory rubber brake lines for some stainless ones. Also changed over to using Motul RBF600 brake fluid, and Ferodo DS2500 brake pads. This is a pretty good setup for just about any event. When I started using R compound tires at the track events I had to change the pads to PFC 01 race pads. The DS2500s would still stop and I never did get any brake fade, but I would only get 1 event out of a set of pads.

Next we needed a little more power.

So I completed the turboback exhaust. Now the exhaust is a full 3in all the way through.

The factory exhaust has a 2.5in hole in it for the downpipe. This has a slightly bigger since this is I believe a 4in opening instead.

Just to keep things legal.

After the exhaust was done we brought the car down to XX Tuning in East Hartford CT for some tuning. Soon as I can find the dyno sheet I will post it. The base run was 220whp and 231 wtorque. after a few short pulls we saw 297whp and 341wtorque. For a gain of roughly 80whp and 110ft lbs of torque. The best part about the tuning was it gave a huge gain throughout.

next we needed some handling.

This wasnt the original setup I wanted, but after waiting 2.5 months for the Cusco coilovers to arrive I canceled the order and bought these. Tein Flex coilovers with EDFC (electronic dampening Force Control) Its been a good setup so far. It dropped the ride height a little, and really stiffened up the ride. the springs are 550front and 450 rear.

One of the deciding factors for getting the suspension was because of a clunk I was getting when ever I was cornering hard at track events. I thought it was the suspension. Changing the suspension did help with wasnt the problem. I had the 5th gear replaced due to a bad syncro. I guess its a problem with some 04 STis. I got one of the lucky ones. Anyway. It turns out the dealership didnt put the nuts back on the rear tranny mount. So anytime the drivetrain was jarred it would cause the tranny to bounce on the mount. I am surprised it didnt cause other problems.

Here is what the factory suspension looks like.

Once we got the car on the alignment machine we were able to get 2 degrees negative camber on all 4 corners.
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
STI NICK

Re: 04 WRX STi Project

Post by STI NICK »

We then added the EDFC to the suspension. That was fun.....Surprising it is very easy to take the dash apart.

Mounted the EDFC controller under the radio.

pulled the trim off, and ran the wires under the carpet.

little stepper motors are added to the tops of the coilovers.

Some adjustable swaybars have been added as well. I dont have any pictures of those. I was to excited to get them in.

After 65k miles the clutch started slipping so I ordered the ACT 6 Puck HD clutch, and a 15lb lightened flywheel.

Here is the old clutch disk. I was surprised at how much material was left. Turned out the springs were shot.

The old flywheel. Just a few spots got a little warm. It was actually in better shape than I thought it was going to be, but I got a new one so its not going back in.

new clutch in place.

Tranny sitting on the ground.

Driveshaft and the downpipe sitting on the ground. Over all it wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be changing the clutch. My brother and I started at 7am, and were test driving it before noon.

I have added an autopower roll bar for some extra added safety at the tracks and hillclimbs.

This pretty much brings us up to date. There is a small list of things to do over the 2008/2009 winter.
A custom roll cage is going in. http://www.kalescustom.com is doing the cage.
new timing belt, and the rest of the belts are getting changed.
new steering rack bushings,shifter bushing, and I have some bolts to lock the rear end down. To help prevent the the rear end of hopping a lot on hard launches you can bolt part of the rear end down and eliminate some soft bushing. This does create more road noise and vibration, but can also save your rear diff. and tranny.

I started pulling out the interior of the car in preparation for the cage.

Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
skivittlerjimb

Post by skivittlerjimb »

Now I know what power numbers I need to shoot for, Nick! :bigups:

Glad you're moving forward with that car as a dedicated track / hillclimb beast. I'm also looking forward to the pictures of Joey's cage install job as I'd love to use his services next spring, too.

Pity us awd / turbo crowd. We eat brakes, tires, and 93 octane fuel for breakfast lunch and dinner, but we do have a good time doing it. :-({|=
-Jim B.
'92 GVR4 280/1000
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Looking forward to seeing some 'at speed' runs at the hillclimbs. It will be night and day from what you are doing now.... pushing for those 10ths of a second to beat your competition.
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

Stopped by Joey's place yesterday. Its scheduled to be torn apart further on monday. Tubing should arrive next week. Its going to be 1.75 and .120 side wall.
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

Looks good Nick! :D

So, whatcha doing with the old roll bar..?
1982 - Fiat Bertone X-1/9 (Bumble Bee)
1979 - Fiat X-1/9 (The Booger)
2012 - Fiat Abarth (The black Pearl) -R.I.P
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

Rooster wrote:Looks good Nick! :D

So, whatcha doing with the old roll bar..?
Selling it. Interested???
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

Might be, what are you looking to get for it?
1982 - Fiat Bertone X-1/9 (Bumble Bee)
1979 - Fiat X-1/9 (The Booger)
2012 - Fiat Abarth (The black Pearl) -R.I.P
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

Rooster wrote:Might be, what are you looking to get for it?
sent a PM
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

Well Joey has the car completely stripped, and we are waiting for the tubing to arrive. Tubing should arrive in the next few days.

Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70