LeMons Volvo project

Discussion about automotive projects
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Re: LeMons Volvo project

Post by pdudley42 »

My two cents (or sense), DON'T weld the diff. You're better off with less traction than the harshness and lack of differentiation. Great for $100 trucks, not so much for $500 race cars.
Paul Dudley #42

There are no accidents; only collisions.
Dave_G

Post by Dave_G »

I have some possible good news. I talked with Josh at Packard's today and he said he thought he might have a LSD in the yard. He's going to look and get back to me. But even if that doesn't pan out, he informed me that a LSD from a 740 or 940 is a drop-in replacement, with the only drawback being that the speedo wouldn't work. That should open up our possibilities a bit. And, of course, there's still the option of the open diff, which are easily found cheaply anywhere.

I should have more news by tomorrow night.
Dave GuertinImage
'90 Miata (summer fun)
'91 BMW 325iX (winter fun) oo=[][]=oo
'04 Mazda 6s wagon (family fun)
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

found this on craigslist. Would it work for you guys?
http://burlington.craigslist.org/cto/1116484452.html
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
Dave_G

Post by Dave_G »

Cool. I think it might have been a contender last fall, but at this stage of the game I think we're pretty well committed to the car we've got.
Dave GuertinImage
'90 Miata (summer fun)
'91 BMW 325iX (winter fun) oo=[][]=oo
'04 Mazda 6s wagon (family fun)
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

I was thinking parts donor, since you said a 740 diff would work.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
Autofile242

Post by Autofile242 »

So heres the deal. not all 740-940s came with a lsd. it was an option on 90-93 cars. after that it was standerd but its a G80 locker and with out modds it opens up past 25mph or even slower if there is no load on the diff. also its not just a simple drop in. You have to shortin one of the axels by 1/4in. the guys at packerd are more interested in weed than making volvos fast. I am more than willing to help with info and maybe some parts all you have to do is give me a call 233-1709. Fast volvos are my thing and I think that with some good info you guys could have a lot of fun with this project but it seems that you have been talking to the wrong people. So give me a call !!! Charlie
skivittlerjimb

Post by skivittlerjimb »

Excellent suggestion... we need to call this man!

I have two good rear shocks, 3 good 15" Volvo bolt pattern steel wheels (with good snow tires on them, I might add), a nice battery hold down bracket for an Odyssey PC680 (light!) battery, and can soon have a Sparco Evo race seat with mounting brackets in my car ready to deliver down to the project car.

Russ, any chance you can bring 4 of the 14" steel wheels up to Burlington this week so we can make an equipment trade? It can be pretty tough for me to get down to Charlotte during the week.

Jason, do you have Sparco seat sliders? I thought you mentioned you did when we last met. Any chance you could bring them in to work this week?
-Jim B.
'92 GVR4 280/1000
gtivr4

Post by gtivr4 »

Good news! I can participate after all! The Hawaii trip got called off, so I will be free the weekend of the race!
Nathan Dana
1990 Miata, 1992 Volvo Cow, 1997 Sonoma, 2012 Locost 7
343Saturn

Post by 343Saturn »

skivittlerjimb wrote:Russ, any chance you can bring 4 of the 14" steel wheels up to Burlington this week so we can make an equipment trade? It can be pretty tough for me to get down to Charlotte during the week.
Sure - PM me your details and I will make some time to head up there. I looked in the back of the car a couple of weeks ago and found that we have a total of 9 wheels plus the spare. Do you want only steel ones - we also have at least 4 alloys? If you only want the steels, I will do some swapping around because I think one of them is on the car right now.
brownMINI

Post by brownMINI »

I have a Recaro slider - but I don't think the manufacturer of the slider matters much - I'm using it with a Cobra seat for instance.

But, it's holding up the passenger's seat in the brown MINI. I could probably remove it for a test fit, and for the race, etc. But, I cannot hand it over to live in the Volvo for extended periods of time.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/seat ... at-sliders

I'm sure there are cheaper options out there too...