The 3000GT VR-4 --> The Stealth RT/TT

Discussion about automotive projects
lawdogg

The 3000GT VR-4 --> The Stealth RT/TT

Post by lawdogg »

Well I might as well make a thread about this car, since it's a constant project.

First I guess a little history.

I bought it in 2003, when I saw it in the Free Press and sold my old Acura Legend.

The day I drove it home, in rough shape:

Then at my first 3Si 'east coast gathering' in Ocean City, MD with my college roommate (in 2004):

Fast forward to 2007. In the 4 years inbetween, I did a lot of mechanical restoration. It got pretty much everything you can think of, from a new engine to transmission to larger turbos, fuel, brakes, suspension, etc etc. I started drag racing, ran a 12.7 @ 109 with stock turbos and a 12.4 @ 111 with the bigger ones with stock fuel. I added a 1999-year front bumper, rims, and removed the wing:

Here I am at the ECG in 2005:

http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... exy3dp.jpg

Since then, I attacked it with spray paint, added the FMIC, and some other things. I began autocrossing last year, finished 2nd place for the season in the NEPA SCCA chaper's NM class, and with the 550cc injectors ran an 11.8 @ 116:

Cont..
Last edited by lawdogg on Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Il faut voir pour savoir
lawdogg

Re: The 3000GT VR-4

Post by lawdogg »

This year, comes the new 265/35/18 RE01-Rs replacing the 245/40/18 RT-615s:

Also did some fun things like polishing my exhaust and undercoating my interior:

ImageImageImage

Also realized I had plugs in there 4 or 5 stages too warm! I was running Champion RC12YCs, and changed them out for NGK BKR7ES.

My seats are an eyesore and heavy (80lb drivers, 40(?)lb passenger) and they'll get replaced by light units with harnesses and some sort of cage / bar system here at some point:

Anyway this is an ongoing project, and it's fun. Thanks for looking. Will update as significant events warrant!

-Ryan

P.S. and of course a few of these type of pictures HAHAHA

Image Image
Last edited by lawdogg on Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Il faut voir pour savoir
MX5 Driver
SCCV Webmaster
SCCV Webmaster

Post by MX5 Driver »

lawdogg wrote:This year, comes the new 265/35/18 RE01-Rs replacing the 245/40/18 RT-615s:

Wow :shock: , that's just a bit bigger than my 205/50/15.... :oops:

Looks like a cool project car, you don't see many 3000GTs around.
Tim W.
SCCV #72
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Very nice.... is this one of those two head, four cam, two turbo engines?
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
lawdogg

Post by lawdogg »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:Very nice.... is this one of those two head, four cam, two turbo engines?
Yes sir. 3.0L V6, DOHC, twin turbo. Also AWD with a viscous center diff and limited slip rear diff, and in phase active hydraulic all wheel steering. Originally came with other gadgets, all of which I've disposed of: active suspension (variable damping struts), active exhaust (electrically actuated valve would re-route exhaust through two mufflers instead of one), and active aerodynamics (rear spoiler and front air dam would extend at 50mph).

On a truck scale with a quarter-to-half tank of gas, weighed ~3580lbs. It's a fish out of water in an autocross course, but so much fun. My friend finally picked up last year's trophy for me today. I can't wait for SLMP, hopefully I'll be way more in my element.

Further updates from today: turtle wax polish & carnuba wax do not work on spray paint, and my front turbo oil seal has about given up the ghost. :( Forced upgrade time I guess. But hopefully I can limp it smokily though the summer events.
Il faut voir pour savoir
Biscuit17

Post by Biscuit17 »

What are you thinking of getting for new turbos?....or is it going to be a secret :D ?
lawdogg

Post by lawdogg »

Well I'm gonna try to find out today if it's really the turbo, or just a bad PCV system. There are a few tricks I've found people using to get rid of the smoke, and it might not be the turbo. I'll report back later.

If the turbo is blown, I'll probably ride it out through the summer as long as it still boosts fine.
Il faut voir pour savoir
skivittlerjimb

Post by skivittlerjimb »

Great to see another Mitsu in here, finally! Great to meet you last Tuesday, Ryan. I'd love to see that car in action soon. Good luck with the upcoming LSATs... how soon?
-Jim B.
'92 GVR4 280/1000
lawdogg

Post by lawdogg »

skivittlerjimb wrote:Great to see another Mitsu in here, finally! Great to meet you last Tuesday, Ryan. I'd love to see that car in action soon. Good luck with the upcoming LSATs... how soon?
It was great to meet you too! Likewise about seeing the car in action. I've never seen a GVR4 race before.

Thanks for the luck, I'll need it. June 8th in Albany. I'll be taking practice tests once a week until then!
Il faut voir pour savoir
lawdogg

Post by lawdogg »

So it turns out no turbos are blown, but it has been verified that Autozone PCV valves are pieces of ***!!! Put an OEM PCV valve back in, ta-daa, no more smoke. HAHA. yay.

My recent projects ... couple things.

First, I deleted my A/C compressor and with it went the alternator belt, idler pulley, tensioner, and A/C fuse box.

Then I ran a single Gates belt directly from my underdrive pulley to my alternator pulley, and tensioned it with a crowbar. Thanks to Russ for letting me use his tools to modify the alternator bracket to make this work!! This saves 33lbs.

My old tan stained carpet got RIT dye'd and turned into this:

I bought cloth seats out of an N/A 3000GT and got rid of my stock power leather seats. I don't have pics but this takes another 30lbs off the car.

So that means 63lbs off the car, no more parasitic loss from the A/C compressor, nice black carpet and (less) torn seats, all for next to no $. I love these kind of mods. :lol:

Next on the list is some fiberglass work. I got a fiberglass hood that only weighs around 25lbs (stock hood weighs ~80!) but it needs serious work.

IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO WORK WITH FIBERGLASS PLEASE PM ME OR POST I NEED HELP HAHAHA!!! THANKS!!

Anyway that's about it for now. :)
Il faut voir pour savoir