MINI Cooper upgrades

Discussion about automotive projects
6speed
Rotary Nut

Re: MINI Cooper upgrades

Post by 6speed »

There's nothing wrong at all with having a vehicle expert tune the car, obviously. For what it's worth though, there's nothing really extraordinary about one engine versus another that keeps a good tuner from getting a perfect tune on anything (with the caveat that there be no mechanical issues). Someone that is an expert in that engine would just be a bit faster at it since there are a lot of assumptions that can be pre-determined by lots of experience.

To do remote tuning he would need a way to get the dyno data, or see the screen at the very least. Kinda a PITA, but very doable these days.
Jason Russell
1988 RX7 Turbo
VEMS Engine Management retailer/installer
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

We've been exchanging emails, particularly in regards to injectors - but he let me know...
Looks like we are getting a tune together in the Rochester NY area in spring time
Ok, that issue solved (for now)...

So, back to parts:
> Hotchkis (H-Sport) adjustable rear control arms - enroute - seems the guy selling the Alta's has had them for a while; pic.s he posted reveal a different (less "substantial") end link than the ones currently advertised. And as I'm doing the DD/365 thing, weather resistance is a top-2 or -3 priority.
http://www.hotchkis.net/mini_cooper_spo ... _link.html
> StopTech S/S brake lines - enroute.
> Brisk Silver spark plugs (colder than stock) - enroute.
> Fidanza lightweight aluminum flywheel - awaiting final price w/ shipping.
> Short Shifter - 2 ways to go: the whole shifter, adjustable, or a little machined piece that fits on the bottom of the shift lever (retains stock knob, boot and height) - hmmmm...
Dave P. #189 '02 MINI CooperS+ "Elphie"
"People who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." -unknown
Mr. Bridgestone

Post by Mr. Bridgestone »

Dave. I can recommend the B&M Short Shifter. Maggie came with that. Although I have no reference for a before, it is one of the most crisp shifts I have ever felt in a front wheel drive car.

Why do you need bigger injectors? How much horsepower are the stock ones rated for? I'm pretty sure mine are still stock and Maggie has about 200-205 at the wheels and it seems fine. What are your goals for power?
SCCV # 71
2016 Ford Fiesta ST / ARRIVED
2003 Mini Cooper S / SOLD
1990 Mazda Miata / Mariner Blue / SOLD
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon / SOLD
P.C.R. Jaguar 80cc Shifter Kart / SOLD
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

After a LOT of research, all info points to at least 400cc's, but probably 440/450's (stock = 340's; JCW = 380's). I may be swapping out the 15% pulley I have now with a 17%, but with the mod.s I've already done 250hp at the wheels is "easily" obtainable. (250hp/2500# just seems to have a nice ring to it :lol: )

The biggest issue with the tune is at about 4000rpm the stock MINI program starts dumping fuel, probably as a piston-protection mechanism (stock plugs, iffy maintenance, crappy gas, etc.) - leaning it out to get it back closer to 12:1 (without going over) seems to really wake these motors up. The MINI's are known for the adaptability of their ECU's to mod.s (like C.A.I.'s and exhausts), but stick w/ that 4000rpm thing. After "speaking" w/ Jan (Revolution Mini Works) I'd like to have it tuned a little more towards getting the torque curve a little lower at the sacrifice of some top-end hp. (He's got them, set-up like mine, ~275 or more)

Of course, the 35 mpg on the highway may be a thing of the past, but - oh, well...
"People who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." -unknown
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

Eric, in regards to the B&M ('cause that is one of the options I'm considering), did they have to cut the linkage cover box under the car on yours? And, if so, install the "extended" or adapter box?

...And when are you having your MINI's thread moved to "Projects"? :wink:
Mr. Bridgestone

Post by Mr. Bridgestone »

DaveVT02S wrote:Eric, in regards to the B&M ('cause that is one of the options I'm considering), did they have to cut the linkage cover box under the car on yours? And, if so, install the "extended" or adapter box?

...And when are you having your MINI's thread moved to "Projects"? :wink:
I don't think the linkage box cover has been cut. I will double check it next time I have it up on the lift (later today perhaps)... I did some pretty extensive looking under the car last time it was up and nothing stood out.

250 whp sounds like a handful to me. Having only limited opportunity so far to drive on dry roads, I have to say the 210 whp I have now seems like plenty. Maggie is supposed to have about 235 -240 hp (at the motor) and it is plenty of fun. Of course there are a couple of other upgrades he did that might make it seem like more. He added the Sprint Booster and it is supposed to improve the throttle response. I have nothing to compare it to though as I never drove mine without it. Of course the usual, CAI, Alta revised intercooler intake, colder plugs, Turner Motorsport Stage 1 tune, 16% supercharger pulley, Millitek exhaust, etc... He also did a mod to the throttle body and blow off valve I forget exactly what. Now I just need to do some suspension and brake work.

I already have a light weight set of Motegi 17" Wheels and some new Bridgestone rubber is on the way (hopefully)....
SCCV # 71
2016 Ford Fiesta ST / ARRIVED
2003 Mini Cooper S / SOLD
1990 Mazda Miata / Mariner Blue / SOLD
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon / SOLD
P.C.R. Jaguar 80cc Shifter Kart / SOLD
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

Answer to the "what's the dyno?" question:
http://mustangdyne.com/dynamometers/md-awd-500.html
or in this case, specifically, a Mustang MD-AWD-500-32...
Got a pic from Tyler, anybody wanna see a Mustang AWD dyno w/ a Lumina strapped to it? (didn't think so :lol: )
Mr. Bridgestone wrote:I don't think the linkage box cover has been cut. I will double check it next time I have it up on the lift (later today perhaps)... I did some pretty extensive looking under the car last time it was up and nothing stood out.
It would be under - well, above - the exhaust. a single, flat 'box' vs. a box-on-a-box look...
Mr. Bridgestone wrote:I have to say the 210 whp I have now seems like plenty.
I'll ask again after a few events - Bwahahaha! :twisted:
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

DaveVT02S wrote:So, back to parts: > Hotchkis (H-Sport) adjustable rear control arms - enroute > StopTech S/S brake lines - enroute. > Brisk Silver spark plugs - enroute.
> Fidanza lightweight aluminum flywheel -
ImageImage
No, not a 2 plug head conversion: the guy I ordered the plugs from was quiet for a week or so after I got the invoice, so I sent off an email asking about their status - he replied back that the P.O. was "misplaced", a set would be sent out asap - ~36 hours later UPS dropped off the plugs, so I sent an email telling him so - responded back that the shipper must have sent another set, if I got another keep 'em or give 'em to a friend - except I got the 2nd set a few days later, then noticed they were 2 ranges colder than stock (1st set was what I wanted: 1 range colder) - well, that's customer service! :partyman:

And I guess the seller of the flywheel, and my, interpretations of "gently used" are a little different, so a new wear surface is in order before install (and I'm still less than 1/2 retail, so it's still good).

Now, onto the next step - remainder of parts to replace clutch that's beginning to slip - plus whatever else I can squeeze out of the budget...
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

Except: We interupt the modifications portion of our program to bring you the following, um, modification:

ImageImage

Land Rover Discovery: 1 - MINI: 0. Sitting at a bank drive thru about 8' behind this guy, head down signing the check and "wham" I've got a windsheild full of Land Rover arse-end. Guess he was too far from the tube to reach it and forgot I was behind him (even though I had let him merge in front of me about 40' before that). That his rear window bottom is about the same height as my MINI's roof might have had something to do w/ it? As it is, all the damage was from his hitch receiver, otherwise we'd be talking HID headlights and such. Either way, he was cool about it, we chatted about the predicament our 2 British vehicles were in, he fessed up to the P.D. and his insurance company - paperwork here, adjuster there and ... I wouldn't have believed that was a $1425 dent, but - thank you, Geico! They even upped the estimate I got by almost $400 for "paint damage to front fascia" (See that little white scuff on top, and the smaller chip beside it? They did.), and will cover the rental car. New hood for $289, new scoop for $90 (rumors that it had previously blown off on I-89 are just that - really - I mean it...), some paint (and a $12 paint pen to fix that chip - repaint would only last 'til the next cone at SLMP :wink: ) and she'll be good again...

Bonus: I had just gotten in a new John Cooper Works-style mesh grille, and had decided to do some accent painting on it before install - was going to buy the paint after leaving the bank. The estimates both included replacing the grille, for a higher cost than what I paid for the custom. It's all in the timing, eh?

Now, what to spend the (revised) budget on next - oh, yeah, clutch...
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

So, ACT clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing 'kit', a bunch of the related wear parts that are only replaceable when the transmissions out of the car (t/o bearing guide, seals, clutch lever bushings), a new wear surface for the l/w flywheel, and a B&M short shifter: enroute

p.s. - Thanks again, Thompson, for the Bentley manual help...