Ryan's Miata Project

Discussion about automotive projects
lawdogg

Re: Ryan's Miata Project

Post by lawdogg »

DaveVT02S wrote:$.02: I don't think the 'glass ones look that bad, Ryan, I was expecting some ricer louvers/slats thing - but, it's your eyes and your car :cooldude: . btw "fenders" for the MINI like those (if you can call them that, more like fill panels) are double+ those, and eliminate the washer containers, so there's a function-factor thrown in - any such issue for the Miatard?...

Back to the "0 offset" thing, leave out a number by any chance?
Well here's the thing - you can't pull fiberglass, and I didn't leave any numbers out. Soo ... LOL! FG fenders might not be the best choice. :censor:
Il faut voir pour savoir
tiFreak

Post by tiFreak »

don't order from Andy's Autosport, they suck, it took them 3 months to send me a pair of corner lights a few years back
Brendan Murray
SCCV #318
BMWCCA #405199
lawdogg

Post by lawdogg »

Boy, putting in that extra brake booster was a royal PITA (had to drop the steering column), but now it stops!

Only large remaining 'maintenance' issue (at least to get it "healthy") is a small oil drip that appears after driving.

\:D/
Il faut voir pour savoir
MX5 Driver
SCCV Webmaster
SCCV Webmaster

Post by MX5 Driver »

lawdogg wrote:Boy, putting in that extra brake booster was a royal PITA (had to drop the steering column), but now it stops!

Only large remaining 'maintenance' issue (at least to get it "healthy") is a small oil drip that appears after driving.

\:D/
"Extra" brake booster??

The most common oil leaks are from the CAS and the valve covers around the cams. I have also seen leaks from the oil pressure sender as well.
Tim W.
SCCV #72
lawdogg

Post by lawdogg »

Sorry - 'extra' as in came with the car in a box. :D

The oil leak appears to be coming from somewhere behind or right above the crank pulley ... at least without taking my timing belt covers off and taking a closer look.
Il faut voir pour savoir
MX5 Driver
SCCV Webmaster
SCCV Webmaster

Post by MX5 Driver »

Did you silicone or RTV the corners of the cam bearing caps when you put the valve cover on?
http://www.miata.net/garage/valvecover/index.html
Tim W.
SCCV #72
lawdogg

Post by lawdogg »

No, we just threw it back on. It could be leaking under the timing belt cover. It's a very very small amount, and always seems to make the same 1" puddle regardless of how long I've been driving. I'll take the cover off and check it out!
Il faut voir pour savoir
lawdogg

Post by lawdogg »

So ... couple updates.

First, the #2 (or whatever the second cylinder from the front is) spark plug wire died on me ... replaced it with an old VR-4 wire for now but plan on picking up a replacement set at autozone.

Second, it's acting a little funny when coming to a stop / idling. Namely, as I come to a stop and push in the clutch, the idle dips waay down (tach even hits 0 even though the engine is still on), as well as the oil pressure gauge (almost hits 0, then hovers just above it). It has stalled once before, and seems to want to stall, but doesn't.

I snapped a cell pic of the idle after I parked this morning, but the oil pressure and RPM were better than they were normally coming into work on rt. 7. On the way in, RPM was at maybe 400-600, and oil pressure was halfway between where it's sitting in the pic and 0.

//Ryan
Il faut voir pour savoir
skivittlerjimb

Post by skivittlerjimb »

Off hand I'd say some kind of vacuum leak is the usual cause for this, but not knowing Miata's very well...

Do Miata's have any sort of idle speed controller stepper motor? That could be a culprit, too.
-Jim B.
'92 GVR4 280/1000
honda8790

Post by honda8790 »

The famous first questions is...... Is the check engine light on?
00 Honda S2000 - Summer Fun