Tax Return + 03 SVT Focus

Discussion about automotive projects
NY03SVT

Tax Return + 03 SVT Focus

Post by NY03SVT »

So I'm getting a sizable income tax return and am looking to throw around some ideas for modifications to my focus (plan to get into some events this year). A couple of things need doing: brakes, suspension, catalytic converter, tires and its about time for a clutch 85,000. Planning on going with stock replacement for the suspension (its good and I can source the shocks and springs for around $300). For the clutch I've been eyeing a Stage 3 or 6 clutch from clutchmasters with a lightened flywheel in the package. Brakes are possibly going to be EBC rotors with Hawk HPS pads.

For other mods I'm thinking a ECU tuner from focussport (sct custom tuning), Front and rear Strut Bars. Not really sure where to go from there. Looking to do Auto X and maybe a hillclimb (if I feel I'm ready) Ideas, tips, tricks are all welcome. Need some direction to go with this along with some sage advice.
2003 Ford Focus SVT #43
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." ~Albert Einstein
lawdogg

Re: Tax Return + 03 SVT Focus

Post by lawdogg »

Tires! :drive1:
Il faut voir pour savoir
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Go with the maintanance items first.

Tires and suspension next.
Entry fees, entry fees, entry fees.
Power adders last.

It is very common for folks new to the sport to put there money towards increasing horsepower. Often the money is better spent on seat time. There is no replacement for experience. Find as many events as you can afford to enter.
replacing the suspension with stock SVT stuff is a solid strategy for now. I'd suggest one of the popular tires from the street tire class, like the Bridgestone RE11, dunlop star spec, Kumho xs or the like. In my opinion, tires can make the single biggest difference to improving your times(aside from becoming a better driver).
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

NY03SVT wrote:...maybe a hillclimb...
= maybe a cage :wink:

Otherwise what Seth said ^^^ - might have heard that before, though :lol: :partyman:
Dave P. #189 '02 MINI CooperS+ "Elphie"
"People who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." -unknown
honda8790

Post by honda8790 »

The order in which I would do things is:

1) Reliablility - fix issues with the the car first - do basic maintenace (belts, ALL fluids, etc.)
2) Brakes
3) Tires
4) Suspension
5) Power

Don't forget, the biggest thing that you can improve upon is the nut behind the wheel!!!
For example, I went to SLMP with my RSX after having it for about 3 weeks. I did OK, but then went back a month later and decreased my time by around 3 seconds. The only change I made was myself and more seat time with the car.
00 Honda S2000 - Summer Fun
DaveEstey

Post by DaveEstey »

honda8790 wrote:The order in which I would do things is:

1) Reliablility - fix issues with the the car first - do basic maintenace (belts, ALL fluids, etc.)
2) Brakes
3) Tires
4) Suspension
5) Power

Don't forget, the biggest thing that you can improve upon is the nut behind the wheel!!!
For example, I went to SLMP with my RSX after having it for about 3 weeks. I did OK, but then went back a month later and decreased my time by around 3 seconds. The only change I made was myself and more seat time with the car.
We both know you upgraded your Vtec fluid and changed the muffler bearings.

I agree with Peter's list.
"Why kill it? - When you can overkill it."
1987 Mazda RX7 GXL (Hillclimber)
1987 Mazda RX7 GTU (Lemons)
2008 Mazda Miata
2005 Ford F-250 Diesel
2007 Toyota Prius (The Fast Car)
www.DaveEstey.com
NY03SVT

Post by NY03SVT »

Ok so the maintenance issues:

it needs new pads (and probably rotors)

its going to need a new clutch soon (85,000 on the stock one and it hasn't been babied) looking for more power holding while being smooth enough to drive on a daily basis.

85,000 sounds like a good time for a timing belt just to be safe. and a water pump while its apart

tires are a must. my gforce TA KDW's are dead and i'm running on my Blizzaks at the moment (was looking at the star specs or the RE-11's)

while i'm doing brakes i was going to get SS lines from goodrich and upgrade the fluid

Also the suspension does need to be done as maintenance and the stock suspension in the SVTF is quite good. Lots of talk about people trying to "upgrade" it and just making it worse because of how good it is to begin with so. The shocks are done and I've got 2/3 of a coil broken out of one spring at the moment.

Needs a new catalytic converter. Anyone have any experience with high flow cats? I've heard there is still a chance it would throw a CEL for inefficient catalyst.

while doing the clutch i may as well change out the gear oil.

as well as the usual plugs, wires, and air filter.

Just for grins.... how much would a cage run? (just getting an idea of what to expect when that time comes around) <<< ATTN: Joey
2003 Ford Focus SVT #43
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." ~Albert Einstein
NY03SVT

Post by NY03SVT »

Had it on the track today (SLMP) handled well with no issues. Ended up with SS lines, SVT shocks and springs, and Dunlop Star Specs.
Next will be a harness and a seat, or atleast a seat. Never thought it'd be such a distraction just trying to keep my butt in one place. :drive1: Missed a shift or two and some heel and toeing because I was so all over in the seat.
Thanks for the advice everyone.

edit: To anyone out there seeing me drive, any constructive criticism is welcome. :D
2003 Ford Focus SVT #43