Drilling Brake Rotors

Discussion about automotive projects
AdrenlinHit

Drilling Brake Rotors

Post by AdrenlinHit »

Hey all!

I have an opportunity to get some nice STI Brembos for my WRX. The calipers will bolt right on, but the rotors have a 5x114.3 pattern and my WRX is 5x100. It's tricky finding things that all match up with the handbrake drum, offset, diameters etc... so these are my best option and I'll get a wicked price - but I don't know where to get them drilled or how much it'll be. I've heard drilling 'em might be more than I'm gonna pay for 'em :( Could you guys help me find a good place in VT to get a full set redrilled on a budget? THANKS GUYS!!
- Winston
Black MY09 WRX 4dr
Purple MY88 RX7 NA
gtivr4

Re: Drilling Brake Rotors

Post by gtivr4 »

In theory that should be pretty easy on a mill... Sorry I don't know who could do it.
Nathan Dana
1990 Miata, 1992 Volvo Cow, 1997 Sonoma, 2012 Locost 7
AdrenlinHit

Post by AdrenlinHit »

Thanks Nathan! I did the Philo hillclimb this past October but lost my account info somehow; I might have met you there... I have access to a mill - Not CNC but does have a good digital readout to about 1/10,000". I'll buy a nice bit for $80 or so and do it myself if I have to, but I'm not a machinist by any stretch of the imagination. I'd feel better getting it done but I don't want to spend another $200 just to drill 20 holes in 4 rotors lol

-Winston
- Winston
Black MY09 WRX 4dr
Purple MY88 RX7 NA
gtivr4

Post by gtivr4 »

Well you know where the holes should be right? You should be able to print out a very accurate template, and transfer those measurements to the new rotor. Just make sure you have plenty of meat left when you have 10 holes in each rotor. Probably worth finding a scrap rotor to try out on (you could probably use your WRX rotors for that purpose if they are ready to throw in the scrap pile).

I'm sure lots of people on here would tell you otherwise, and I am certainly no expert. Of course I am building an entire car from scratch, so I am more willing than others to drive a car that I welded.
Nathan Dana
1990 Miata, 1992 Volvo Cow, 1997 Sonoma, 2012 Locost 7
EVT_Dan

Post by EVT_Dan »

You ought to poke around and sell those 5x114 rotors.
With that money, you could buy a set of 04 STi 5x100 rotors that will work correctly.
AdrenlinHit

Post by AdrenlinHit »

Update: Island Racing up near Hero VT did em for $25/per so $100 total and I'll be able to stop on a dime without messing up my factory bias. Thanks for the tips guys!
- Winston
Black MY09 WRX 4dr
Purple MY88 RX7 NA