Snow tire sizing for racing?

Discussion about automotive projects
MiataNH

Snow tire sizing for racing?

Post by MiataNH »

I am considering picking up a set of snow tires that will be used exclusively for snow/ice racing. What is the best choice in width? My understanding is that narrow tires are best for plowing through deep snow, while wider tires provide greater traction on ice. Any recommendations for a 2400 lbs. miata (turbo ~180rwhp)? To allow the greatest choice of venues for racing, I need to stick with studless tires, but I need something better than my high-perf summer tires. I have 3 choices of wheels to use:

14" x 4.5" or 5" (need to measure)
14" x 5.5"
15" x 7.5"

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jeff
pdudley42
SCCV President
SCCV President

Re: Snow tire sizing for racing?

Post by pdudley42 »

Hi Jeff. I'm guessing because you're looking at studless tires that you're thinking AMEC, right??? The studless class is called SL or Street Legal. I think their intention is for the cars to be stock. That said, you probably could get them to let you run the turbo car since the power gives you no advantage with very little grip. In fact, my stock 1.6 Miata is way overpowered for that class. In that class it's all about setup...and talent. Make the car as soft as you can, and a good predictable diff helps too.
My thought is that you'll get the most giggles from a set of super-stud tires. The grip is comparable to gravel. I could walk you through the process of making them, you can buy them from Menard, or you could pay me to make you a set. AMEC did have, and has threatened to bring back, the SLM (street legal menard) class. I rode in this class for a short time and it's ridiculous fun!
Okay, now to answer your question. Yes, skinnier is better for snow and fatter is better for glare ice. Most SL guys go with fat blizzaks (I prefer hakkapelitas) because the lines get all the snow polished off during the heats. However, in Vermont we don't use the plow truck very often and the surface tends to be patches of snow and patches of glare ice. Pick your poison. If I were to buy a set of studless tires for competition, which I swore I would never do again cause it's not nearly as much fun as super-studs, I would go with FFAATT tires and only run them AT the event, not to the event.
If you have any other questions, keep em coming here. I love this kind of thing!
Good luck.
Paul Dudley #42

There are no accidents; only collisions.
MiataNH

Re: Snow tire sizing for racing?

Post by MiataNH »

Thanks for the info. I am actually thinking more of SCCNH and SCCV events. SCCNH held one event on ice/snow in the S3 lot at NHMS in Feb. that was a blast and I think they are planning more for this winter. Since it is on pavement, they don't allow studs. I'll be trailering the car so I don't need to worry about excess wear.

So, for Hakkapeliitta tires, I see the following sizes:

S-series
14"
185/65R-14 90T XL B
185/70R-14 92T XL B

15"
185/65R-15 92T XL B
195/60R-15 92T XL B
195/65R-15 95T XL B

R-series
14"
185/65R14 90R XL B

15"
185/65R15 92R XL B
195/60R15 92R XL B
195/65R15 95R XL B
205/65R15 99R XL B

I am currently running 205/50/15 summer tires on this car and don't know how much taller I can go. Comparing tire diameters, it looks like a 195/60/15 might be the biggest I can fit with my current Illumina/ebay coilover sleeve combo. Rear fenders have been rolled and front liners have been removed. What is the biggest you have had on the blue car?

thanks

Jeff