Project Miata...again?

Discussion about automotive projects
bcameron

Project Miata...again?

Post by bcameron »

I understand there are TONS of Miatas around here. But hey, who doesn't enjoy projects?

As some of you may know, I purchased my Miata off from my Father (Rod Cameron), with the intention of doing work on it. Within the next couple weeks I will be doing work on it, mostly cosmetic stuff... Small Body Rot, New Carpet, and New Top, (trying to find newer seats), The reason I am posting this, because replacing the top seems foreign to me.

I have read tutorials and things like that, but does anyone here have any first hand experience with it? I don't know of any place around here that would install the top for me... but it doesn't sound like completely surgery. So if anyone has any information or tips, that would be great...

I purchased a Replacement Robbins Top w/ Rain Rail.

Thanks,
1990 Red Miata
1992 Miata -- Black and Tan --Gone :(
2005 Legacy GT - Stage II, UpPipe, DownPipe, Turboback Exhaust, GFB BOV
1999 Honda Accord Coupe VTEC, Sold
Niburu

Re: Project Miata...again?

Post by Niburu »

if it's a vinyl top you'll want to keep it warm right before the install
and hopefully have a warm garage to work in
because the vinyl top will get stiff and shrink a little the colder it becomes

my top has a few pinholes in it an the stitching for the window panel zipper is coming undone
I'm going to just remove it permanently and go full time with the hartop and on warm sunny days drive it as a full roadster
2011 Forester - DD//1990 Miata - Beater//1983 porsche 911 Targa - Moneypit
vtgti

Project Miata...again?

Post by vtgti »

I've half removed the top on a Miata before, helping to replace the rear window, and have replaced a couple VW tops.

If you read the directions and browse a couple sites that discuss it, it isn't that bad, but basically you can't expect to do it in a couple hours. There is often times lots of time just letting it stretch to fit.
1982 BMW 320i
bcameron

Re: Project Miata...again?

Post by bcameron »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies. Yes it is a vinyl top. I understand it may not be a couple hour job... My plan is to open up the top and let it lay flat on the ground in the house and allow it to flatten out a little after unpacking it. I do have a heated garage, but I don't think I will be doing the top until it warms up a little anyways. I was going to try and figure out some contraption that I could attach to the front of the top to aid in stretching it out... haven't thought of anything quite yet... however, I will be replacing the carpet before summer time anyways. I'll probably leave the seats out as well before I replace the Top...just to give me some more room while working with the top. Appreciate the help.
1990 Red Miata
1992 Miata -- Black and Tan --Gone :(
2005 Legacy GT - Stage II, UpPipe, DownPipe, Turboback Exhaust, GFB BOV
1999 Honda Accord Coupe VTEC, Sold
vtgti

Project Miata...again?

Post by vtgti »

You can stretch it on the car. First night you mount it to the frame and some of the back and let it stretch as gravity pulls down on the frame. The next night you latch the hooks, but don't tighten it down. Third night you tighten it down.
1982 BMW 320i