Project free subie

Discussion about automotive projects

What should I do with the wagon

Part it out
25%
drop a replacement ej251 in it, drive it
No votes
drop a replacement ej251 in it, add cage.
No votes
transfer wrx parts to it and daily drive it
25%
transfer wrx parts to scrappy, scrappy motor to wagon
50%

Total votes: 8

sachilles

Project free subie

Post by sachilles »

So, a gentleman on the grassroots forum posted up that he needed to get rid of a 2002 Subaru impreza TS wagon. Landlord wanted it out of the parking spot. He stated that it ran and drove and stopped, but the engine is bad(rod knock). It was in Manchester NH. The best part was that it was free. He didn't want a darn thing, and it took a lot of arm twisting to give him some beer and maple donuts. He said his dad gave him the car for $1 two years ago, and didn't think he should make anything off of it as long as an enthusiast could put it to use.
222,000 miles on it.
My expectations were pretty low. I figured if I could get the rear bumper off of it, and a few wiring harness bits, then it was probably worth the $100 I spent on gas/beer/donuts to get the thing.
As it turns out it has less rust on the body than our wrx wagon of the same age and less mileage. I've yet to get under it to check for undercarriage rust.
He sent me on my way with a trunk load of spares too. Car drove on to the trailer as easy as can be, but you could hear the rods a knockin'.

So I'm in a bit of quandary. It really only needs a junkyard Ej251, and it would be ready for the road. Inspectable without a guilty conscious. Sort of seems like a waste to part it out.
I think Larson suggested putting the motor from scrappy in it, and drive it, and move the motor from the wrx into scrappy. I like that idea, not sure I can sell that one to Rhonda. I keep telling myself that a N/A motor is a better fit for my budget hillclimbing, as it is reliable, and the lack of power means the 5 speed gear box should hold up longer. However who doesn't want a faster car?

Rhonda suggested transferring everything from the wrx into this wagon if the underside of the thing is as clean as the body. That idea intrigues me a little. Not sure if it is worth the effort or not.

I could find a junkyard ej251, drop it in and drive it. If the body is as good as I think it is, might be worth a cage. However the wagons are heavier and the weight is in the wrong place. No Larson I won't turn it into El Subinino either. Could be a rallyx beater/back up hillclimber.

Or I can just part the thing out which was my original intention.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Re: Project free subie

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Or, put the junk yard motor in it and sell it for a nice profit.
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:Or, put the junk yard motor in it and sell it for a nice profit.
Bad "car"ma
Sachilles
STI NICK

Post by STI NICK »

I think I would swap motors with your race car and put the Wrx motor in the race car. It's the cheapest way to get more power for the parts you have. If you keep the Wrx motor stock and do proper maintenance it should last just as long as the NA motor. Look how long I got out of the STI motor with a mild tune. Then I started messing with it some more. Transmission will handle the stock power fine. You know how to shift so it will see less gear braking abuse.

Am I helping yet?
Nick
11 F150 ECOBoost
13 Focus ST
04 Volvo XC70
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

more background.....most detailed appraisal of a free car I've ever received. More impressive is that it was typed on a blackberry.
The skinny on my '02 bugeye:

221k miles, 5MT, window sticker says it was sold new in Connecticut, near complete service history from 2003/60k to 2009/181k. Runs(somewhat), steers, stops. $40 of E10 87 octane swill in the tank. Clean NH title in my name.

Underhood: The EJ251 is 100% original other than consumables and is due for the scrapper. Low/no oil pressure at idle when warmed up, massive driveabilty issues I attribute to a possibly original timing belt and never-adjusted valves. Blows a massive blue cloud on cold startup, lots of blowby, runs very rich, dirties a fresh oil change in ~500mi. Throws codes for misfires on all four, occasional codes for cam position sensor and front 02 sensor. Recent MAP sensor, coil pack, Genuine rear 02 sensor and Genuine plug wires. Crap Dorman oil pan from Rockauto I just had installed in February has already cracked the weld at the dipstick tube and is leaking slightly. Head gaskets are original as far as I know and leak oil externally. Thermostat stuck open, but cooling system works well otherwise. Charging system is fine, but I've stolen the battery for my Legacy. Starter is good. A/C was somewhat operational several years ago until the idler seized, I removed the idler and bracket, might still have the bracket around. Engine mounts are toast. PS pump functional and quiet, little laggy under 20 degrees F ambient, fluid is nasty.

Trans: New genuine Subaru clutch installed under the ownership of PO(my 68yo father) at ~165k. Grabs fine, but has hellish, unbearable chatter. New clutch master and slave installed by me at ~185k. No whines, grinds, or major leaks from the 3.90 5MT, though it is suspect as it locked up(engaged 3rd and 5th simultaniously) several years ago. It was freed up in-situ by a professional and has been trouble free since. Fluid is full, bright, and clean. Needs shifter bushings and could use a rear mount. Open 3.90 rear end is quiet but could use a seal on the pass side output. Pass front CV axle is a new Empi with ~5k on it. Exhaust sounds like it needs a few gaskets up front, muffler is a new OE style Bosal that was installed with the axle, could use adjustment, it rubs on the RSB.

Body: still solid. Surface rust bubbles nickel sized or smaller around the windshield, and similar to but slightly better than Tommy Suddard's new WRX at the rear edges of rear wheel wells, nothing thru yet. Little bit of surface stuff getting started on the driver's rocker. The BRP paint is tired(was a commuter to Boston for years, front end is sandblasted), few door dings and marks where pine sap ate the clear, no major dents or rust. All glass is good. I've stolen the wipers for my Legacy. Headlights are due for a buff, factory foglights are in much better shape. Tail lights are in good shape. Has a few peeling rally fanboi decals on it.

Brakes/wheels/suspension: Front calipers and pads are Raybetos remans from Rockauto, installed at ~190k, front rotors were new Duralast then but are a little warped. Rear drums are untouched and could use a going through soon, but are functional and quiet. Lines are in good shape. E brake is functional, doesn't stick, and is adjusted well. Pass rear wheel bearing(Timken) was new at 205k, driver's rear starting to loosen up. Struts are original and pretty soft, but don't seem to leak externally. BJs and tie rod ends are original, but still in reasonably good nick. It's sitting on my wife's Forester alloys and snows, which I can't include, though I could throw together some junk tires on my winter steelies if you need something else to get it on a trailer with.

Interior: originally grey, now has '02 WRX front seats, door cards, and black center console. All gauges, lights, switches, power windows, locks and HVAC functional. Could do with a good cleaning. Missing rear head rests, still has a cargo cover in good shape. Stereo was functional, though I've swiped the head unit(factory harness intact). Clock repaired by myself a few years back and still works. In the interest of full disclosure, I've smoked in it, but I'm a windows all the way down guy and the stench appears to be gone. No discernible burns, rips, or tears anywhere. I've stolen the interior rear view mirror and dome light bulb for my Legacy.

Included spares: NIB Bosch front O2 sensor, factory roof rack crossbars, TS door cards(probably a bit banged up in storage), 20mm WRX sedan RSB, '07 WRX TR springs and rear sway bar mounts with 30k, and anything else I can find to throw in the car.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, but that's the gist. I'd think it'd be a decent driver again and pass state inspection in a small town with a drop in junkyard engine, good tires, and some minor exhaust work, but I'm not willing to throw more money or time at it. I intended to gank the newer front calipers and brackets, WRX seats, clock, foglights, wife's wheels, and send the rest to hell; if you want the car, I'll leave it as it is sans wheels. Bring a trailer, I wouldn't trust the engine to get you home, though it will climb the ramps on it's own.

The price, for a GRMer, is free. As in $0. My landlord is rather firm on it being gone the week of July 4th, though I may be able to sweet talk him into another week(I'd *really* prefer not to). I hope you want it, I don't think the car is ready to die yet. I'm in Manchester, NH, about 20min south of the intersection of 89 and 93 up in Concord.
Sachilles
ryed
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by ryed »

I'm with Nick, swapping the engines around seems to put everything to it's highest & best use. Make the best DD out of the new donor car, and make Scrappy a bit peppier.
1991 Alpine White GTI VRT "Polar Express"
2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost "Tullibee"
2017 VW Alltrack "Betty White"
"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time" - Unknown
Larson

Post by Larson »

Only problem with the outlined plan is finishing 2 engine swaps and 3 engine pulls.
You'll need a clone.
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

slight complication today. News at eleven. :mad: :censor: #-o
Sachilles
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

:popcorn:
Dave P. #189 '02 MINI CooperS+ "Elphie"
"People who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." -unknown
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

Well the wrx won't pass inspection, found that out today. I knew it was rusty underneath, but getting it on the lift confirmed that. Sort of accelerates the time table. Figured it might have another year, but the subframes are real bad. Need to decide if the blue car is worth putting on the road or not, then figure out what to do about a motor for it....get from scrappy or get a junkyard motor. Scrappy will probably get the 2.0 turbo over the winter. I'd need a turbo subframe, as the one in the wrx is toast. I guess what bums me out the most is I just put a bunch of new parts in the wrx.
Sachilles