Vermont Introduces Bill to Penalize Some Aftermarket Exhaust

Talk about stuff NOT related to SCCV operations.
ryed
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by ryed »

I'm not sure how accurate this info is, and have not been able to verify its authenticity... but this could effect all of us at some point!

A bill (H.B. 562) to ban motor vehicle exhaust systems that increase the noise level above the level emitted by the originally installed system has been introduced in Vermont. Under the bill, violators would not pass the state’s required inspection. The bill does not provide an opportunity for vehicle hobbyists to install and use aftermarket modified exhaust systems that meet an objective 95-decibel limit under a fair and predictable test.

Here is the link that was sent to me:

http://echo.bluehornet.com/hostedemail/ ... =NxniNsNyN
1991 Alpine White GTI VRT "Polar Express"
2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost "Tullibee"
2017 VW Alltrack "Betty White"
"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time" - Unknown
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Re: Vermont Introduces Bill to Penalize Some Aftermarket Exh

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Must be going after those cars without resonators... you know, the ear splitting exhausts.
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

This act shall take effect on July 1, 2012.
As proposed..... http://www.leg.state.vt.us/docs/2012/BI ... /H-562.pdf

It has not passed house or senate.

S
Steve #702
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
vtgti

Post by vtgti »

So, if I read it right, as long as you have a muffler that is intact with baffles, you are ok?
1982 BMW 320i
honda8790

Post by honda8790 »

Connecticut passed a similar bill a couple years ago (I think?). It was a way for them to write more tickets and therefore take in more money.
00 Honda S2000 - Summer Fun
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

A person shall not operate on a highway a motor vehicle equipped
with a muffler lacking interior baffle plates or other effective muffling devices,
a gutted muffler, a muffler cutout, a straight pipe exhaust, or with any other
amplification device or modified exhaust system when the result of the device
or modification is to increase the noise emitted by the motor vehicle above the
level emitted by the exhaust system as originally installed.
Well, you know this is FAR from clear. "as originally installed".... well, I just installed this kick butt performance exhaust and did not make any changes to it from what I originally installed. Now, if they are talking about the exhaust system that is original to the car, that is a different story. I'm assuming that they are shooting for "original" as it what originally came with the vehicle.

This law could be a real hassle for performance exhausts. If I add a performance exhaust to my Jetta (an extremely quite car in stock form) and it is just slightly louder (no one would notice, but technically it would be louder) I would be in violation.

Seems the law is trying to go after those cars with exceptionally loud raspberry exhausts... therefore, they need to go after it from a dB limit instead of "any modification"
Steve #702
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Another interesting part of the law that is not excessive noise related is "unusual noise". Do you think the Psssstttt from your BOV is unusual?
Steve #702
Dave_G

Post by Dave_G »

Rather than relying on someone else's interpretation of the proposal, go right to the source:

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/database/sta ... ssion=2012

To me, it seems poorly framed, and focuses on the technology rather than the results (i.e. "above the level emitted by the exhaust system as originally installed," instead of "above x dB").
Dave GuertinImage
'90 Miata (summer fun)
'91 BMW 325iX (winter fun) oo=[][]=oo
'04 Mazda 6s wagon (family fun)
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

Dave... I agree. I included the link to the proposed bill above.
Steve #702
EVT_Dan

Post by EVT_Dan »

NH has had this exact same written law since I was 16. When I lived there I had a 1990 Eagle Talon TSI with a 3 inch exhaust, hi-flow cat, muffler yada yada. It was loud, but not honda loud. More "deep" throaty. We've all heard an Evo etc with an exhaust...

Now, read this carefully, I beat the law 4 times in NH by doing as follows... with a State Cop, Judge and me in a court room. They let me walk free.

ME - Judge, as the law states, I am not allowed to put an exhaust on my car where "the result of the device
or modification is to increase the noise emitted by the motor vehicle above the
level emitted by the exhaust system as originally installed".

Judge - Yes Correct.

ME - Sir, on (date ticket was written) Officer (name) pulled me over for this violation and gave me a ticket
Today, I ask Officer(name) to tell the court what a STOCK Original equipment exhaust *should* sound like on a 1990 Eagle Talon

Officer - I can't answer that. I do not know what it should sound like.

ME - More specifically, what was its decibel reading... EVEN though the law does not specifically ask for one...Officer (name) Did you take a decibel reading of my car, and an original equipment exhaust on a 1990 Eagle Talon so that you could compare the two ?

Officer -No I did not

ME - So then how could you possibly give me a ticket for having modified my exhaust to make it louder (as is stated by the law) when you neither took decibel readings, nor have you any idea what an originally equipped 1990 Eagle Talon should sound like.

Officer (Visibly flustered) - I see cars every day, I know what a loud car is.

ME - Are you an expert in the sound of cars, or more specifically, 1990 Eagle Talons ? (To be credible, they have to have training in this subject, which does not exist and therefore is not valid in the court of law)

Officer - I am not.

At this point all 4 times, the judge interrupted and let me walk from the courtroom on the grounds that the officer could not Factually prove or provide evidence I had increased the noise from my car, nor was he a trained expert in the sound cars or more specifically 1990 Eagle Talons should make.
Sure, all 4 NH State cops were beyond pissed, but too bad. Write the laws more specifically if you want to give tickets for them.