Vermont Introduces Bill to Penalize Some Aftermarket Exhaust

Talk about stuff NOT related to SCCV operations.
Aczwild

Re: Vermont Introduces Bill to Penalize Some Aftermarket Exh

Post by Aczwild »

Dave_G wrote:Rather than relying on someone else's interpretation of the proposal, go right to the source:

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/database/sta ... ssion=2012

To me, it seems poorly framed, and focuses on the technology rather than the results (i.e. "above the level emitted by the exhaust system as originally installed," instead of "above x dB").
Very poorly framed, one could argue that any aftermarket replacement system made by Meineke, Midas, etc. would be in violation of this law and that it would subject vehicle owners to higher maintenance costs over the life of the vehicle due to the inability, or risk of installing a more quality system (Stainless steel, Titanium, etc) that would be in violation of the law as sound is always a byproduct. What about vehicles that you can no longer purchase an OE part for, that you have to go aftermarket, whereby most if not all systems are not regulated by this law?

Definitely get what they are trying to do, but its one hell of a half-assed attempt to just cast a broad net. You can bet too that if this took into affect, there would be an ordnance in Middlebury. Speaking of one, you'd figure they would just amend the Boom Ordinance from years ago for this law as it allows municipalities to set the law, not the state.
'11 Impreza STI - Stupid fun
'98 Impreza RS - The Autox'er
MX5 Driver
SCCV Webmaster
SCCV Webmaster

Post by MX5 Driver »

But you can still buy a Harley, remove the baffles, rattle every window for a mile, and THAT'S legal?? :rock:
Tim W.
SCCV #72
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

MX5 Driver wrote:But you can still buy a Harley, remove the baffles, rattle every window for a mile, and THAT'S legal?? :rock:
I'm with you. The reason (IMHO) is that bikers are organized.
Steve #702
Go Fast VW & Audi parts at FastAddiction.com
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

I rec'd a response from one of the bill sponsors today and will post later tonight/tomorrow.

Their intent is to go over the really loud cars, but the language doesn't capture this. I hoping to offer my 2-cents in this area to make sure that EVERY aftermarket exhaust is not illegal.

I would suggest that you forward the draft bill with your concerns to your local rep.

S
Steve #702
It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one of them to scatter it all over the highway. - Evan Esar
DaveP189

Post by DaveP189 »

Was thinking this morning: Man, that bill would put a major "cramp" in the Street Rod Nationals (an event that has enough of an impact in VT that the it is one of the rare states that issues a Street Rod license plate).

Maybe this should be brought to the attention of the SEMA folks...
Dave P. #189 '02 MINI CooperS+ "Elphie"
"People who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." -unknown
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

This is still alive.... a state representive that is sponsoring the proposed bill sent me an e-mail asking if I could provide some input. I agreed and said I might be bringing some other people to the table to provide additional input.
Steve #702
MX5 Driver
SCCV Webmaster
SCCV Webmaster

Post by MX5 Driver »

Rabbit Farmer wrote:This is still alive.... a state representive that is sponsoring the proposed bill sent me an e-mail asking if I could provide some input. I agreed and said I might be bringing some other people to the table to provide additional input.
Keep us posted... :3gears:
Tim W.
SCCV #72
Rabbit Farmer
SCCV Board Advisor
SCCV Board Advisor

Post by Rabbit Farmer »

January 31, 2013

Hi Steve,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. In light of some of the other legislation introduced, I'm going to hold off for this session in introducing this legislation. I will likely be in touch with you at the start of the next session, in the event that I decide to move forward at that point. Thank you for your eagerness to help, I appreciate it.

Regards,
Matt
Steve #702
Scootin159

Post by Scootin159 »

These exhaust laws are always poorly written... here's NY's as an example:
VAT 3.9.31 wrote:Every motor
vehicle, operated or driven upon the highways of the state, shall at all
times be equipped with an adequate muffler and exhaust system in
constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or
unusual noise and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped
with a cut-out, bypass, or similar device. No person shall modify the
muffler or exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will
amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor or exhaust system of
such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler or exhaust system
originally installed on the vehicle and such original muffler and
exhaust system shall comply with all the requirements of this section.
A muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle
plates, or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust
gas from an internal combustion engine, and effective in reducing noise.
An exhaust system is a series of mechanical devices for the purpose of
receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and expelling
it into the atmosphere.
Translation: Must be stock levels or quieter

My STI's stock exhaust ran into several issues with this before (got pulled over 10 times for it, got 4 tickets, 0 stuck), but it's nearly impossible for them to enforce as was pointed out before. It requires that the officer know *how* loud the car is, and *how* loud the stock car would be. Either way, I would just get a note from the dealer (free of charge) that the exhaust on my car was inspected by a factory certified mechanic and was verified to be a stock system in fully working order. Every time the DA threw out the ticket once they saw this letter.

In many respects though, I think the officers knew it would be thrown out as well, they just used it as an excuse to pull me over and fish for something really juicy (DWI, etc).
Scott Newton
vwcorvette

Post by vwcorvette »

Don't local noise disturbance laws take care of this type of thing? Emailing my rep tonight!
Geo

'75 Stingray. AKA, Sasha
(**--**)
'02 Jetta Wgn 1.8T tiptronic. MobyII
\ \=o=/ /
'79 Kawasaki KZ400h
d=~o