new to the sport, need a helmet

Talk about stuff NOT related to SCCV operations.
mrben522

new to the sport, need a helmet

Post by mrben522 »

where would be a good place in northern VT to buy a helmet for autocross events? i'd order one online but i dont know what size i would need as this will be my first helmet. are the sizes similar to snowboard helmets (IE-large is 58-60cm)?
6speed
Rotary Nut

Re: new to the sport, need a helmet

Post by 6speed »

Roadside Marine in Williston or Land-Air in Essex have pretty good selections of M2010 rated helmets. I figure it would be highly unlikely to find a SA2010 rated helmet there though. M2010 would be fine for autocross and SLMP, ice time trials, etc. You need SA for hillclimbs though if I'm not mistaken. Note that some manufacturers have different head shape models too. My Arai signet GT is shaped for an American head shape while some of their other models are for Japanese head shapes. Obviously a gross generality going on there, but goes to show that even in the same company a size of one model may not fit the same as the same size in a different model.
Jason Russell
1988 RX7 Turbo
VEMS Engine Management retailer/installer
stig

Post by stig »

On the subject of helmets, what is our current minimum required Snell rating? M/SA 2000?
sachilles

Post by sachilles »

stig wrote:On the subject of helmets, what is our current minimum required Snell rating? M/SA 2000?
correct.
Sachilles
02 Subaru impreza sedan made from spare parts (Scrappy)
05 Subaru Legacy GT (Rosie)
02 Subaru impreza Wagon (Mr. the King)
96 Chevy Conversion van (Vango)